Saitek Trim Wheel causing need for Hard PC reset

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
maxam

Re: Saitek Trim Wheel causing need for Hard PC reset

Post by maxam »

sherab70 wrote:Hi everyone.
I'm new to the forums but not new to flight simulation. I am experiencing the very same problem, i.e. mouse freeze, having to hard reset the PC.

However, I do not have the Saitek Trim Wheel. I have the Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio, and Quadrant all connected to a powered USB hub.

Has anyone been able to find a solution for this yet?

Antonio
Hi Antonio,

Open the Saitek control panel from the notifications tab located in the lower right corner (Win 7) and ensure the yoke axis and throttle quadrant are recognized then do the same for the rudder, then close the control panel(s). That is what fixed it for me.

For some reason the axis are not recognized by P3D, "waking" the controllers up in the sim causes the OS to freeze. I doubt Saitek is looking at a fix for this but I hope LM is looking at this issue.
\Robert Halmich/
Intel Core i9 9900KF - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080TI - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus MB - Corsair 32GB DDR4 RAM
sherab70

Post by sherab70 »

@maxam:

what if I don't have the saitek control panel icon in the system tray? I don't use the saitek drivers proper. A few days ago I was able to access a control panel via the Installed Devices control panel properties, and was able to see the screen which shows the axis' movement. Is that the one you are referring to?

Am I understanding you right that I should get the control panel to "read" the movements first, before starting P3D? If so, for all saitek peripherals???
StewCAl

Post by StewCAl »

I'm new to the forums but not new to flight simulation. I am experiencing the very same problem, i.e. mouse freeze, having to hard reset the PC.

However, I do not have the Saitek Trim Wheel. I have the Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio, and Quadrant all connected to a powered USB hub.

Antonio
I too do not have the Trim Wheel but do have the Saitek Combat Pedals. Since upgrading to version 3.0 and now 3.1 I have had this USB crash scenario. I can no longer complete a flight and it has become quite frustrating. I've tried everything with no result. My only options now seem to be to either go back to version 2.5 or replace my Saitek pedals. I do suspect that there is an issue with Saitek products, however that being said, something changed when version 3.0 was released (No problem in 2.5). After searching a lot of different forums lots of people are having this problem to some degree without having the Saitek Trim Wheel installed. Whether or not they have other Saitek product is not always apparent but many folks do. Siatek's reputation for customer support is suspect at best so that route may or may not be a dead end. I think LM needs to take a look at this as lot's of simmers use Saitek products.

Steve Giblin
sherab70

Post by sherab70 »

StewCAl wrote:

Antonio
I too do not have the Trim Wheel but do have the Saitek Combat Pedals. Since upgrading to version 3.0 and now 3.1 I have had this USB crash scenario. I can no longer complete a flight and it has become quite frustrating. I've tried everything with no result. My only options now seem to be to either go back to version 2.5 or replace my Saitek pedals. I do suspect that there is an issue with Saitek products, however that being said, something changed when version 3.0 was released (No problem in 2.5). After searching a lot of different forums lots of people are having this problem to some degree without having the Saitek Trim Wheel installed. Whether or not they have other Saitek product is not always apparent but many folks do. Siatek's reputation for customer support is suspect at best so that route may or may not be a dead end. I think LM needs to take a look at this as lot's of simmers use Saitek products.

Steve Giblin
Steve, in the end I had to go back to an old drive image backup, with basically the OS and no P3D and no saitek drivers installed.
I then proceeded to install P3D v3.1 without saitek drivers. I did not installe any saitek driver.
I also had to make sure that USB controllers never go to sleep (in device manager).
I also replaced my USB hub with a newer, more reliable model.

I was then able to complete several flights without the issue. The above is not a fix, it does not solve the Lokheed Martin problem that arose in v3. It does not solve the issue with the saitek drivers. It all worked perfectly in v2.5 for me too and not in v3. It's a workaround.

Best of luck
Antonio
StewCAl

Post by StewCAl »

I've actually given up with 3.1. I uninstalled version 2.5 and didn't have the energy to reinstall that so I've actually been flying with FSX. I've flown probably 30 hours of flights of various lengths with no problems at all. I think I'm going to start a separate thread for those having the problem without having the Trim Wheel if I have a moment.

You mentioned that you use your Saitek controls without the Saitek drivers. I tried to do that with my pedals but could not make them work. Just installed the windows HID and USB drivers but pedals weren't recognized. Any ideas?

Steve G.
maxam

Post by maxam »

sherab70 wrote:@maxam:

what if I don't have the saitek control panel icon in the system tray? I don't use the saitek drivers proper. A few days ago I was able to access a control panel via the Installed Devices control panel properties, and was able to see the screen which shows the axis' movement. Is that the one you are referring to?

Am I understanding you right that I should get the control panel to "read" the movements first, before starting P3D? If so, for all saitek peripherals???
Sorry, hadn't enabled notifications for this thread. The only issue I had was with the trim wheel, and still do. The only workaround is to bring whatever control panel that reads the trim wheel axis up and move it. In my case I hear the windows default "Devise Connect" sound, the CP closes and I have to reopen it and the trim wheel movement can be seen. Now I have no more issues with any of my Saitek controlers and I can fly crash free.
\Robert Halmich/
Intel Core i9 9900KF - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080TI - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus MB - Corsair 32GB DDR4 RAM
brians

Post by brians »

I have had similar issues but after loading the latest saitek drivers all is working with the provio that I have to move the trim to get it to wake up (I do this inside p3d) - the only othr issue is that very occationally that p3d just stops recognising all input devices (ie not just saitek) a restart cures this and it is quite infrequent. I am sure that the new code for raw controllers input has a flaw in it somewhere and I think p3d guys are probably working on it for a hotfix or rel 3.2.

Brian
flamer

Post by flamer »

I've just installed the 7_0_47_1 drivers for my trim wheel and yoke (they are no longer beta they are released) BUT I cannot get the driver for my combat pedals to update. Infact its using a generic driver from 2006.

Running the exe from saitek leaves me at the plugin your device screen and can't get past that (different usb ports, driver uninstall + reboot etc). Have tried to manually install and manually update by pointing at the extract drivers folder but computer says no.

anyone got any ideas? The pedals still work in p3d but I would rather have a real driver on there
flamer

Post by flamer »

Hi all I am still having this issue, its infuriating not being able to use the trim wheel!

My setup:
P3D 3.3.3
Win7 64 bit
saitek driver 7.0.47

I was hoping the 3.3.3 patch was going to fix it, but still if any time in the game I touch the trim wheel my computer will freeze up, start beeping and require a hard reset.

Has anyone found a solution for this?
tinmouse

Post by tinmouse »

Hi,

I'm just about to get a refund on all my Saitek gear as I'm having the same issues as you guys. (Last ditch attempt)
Anyone got any feedback from Saitek? Trim wheel is bugging out my new computer as in all you posts.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
flamer

Post by flamer »

I managed to fix it, go into control panel, and select the trim wheel, click uninstall driver, now go back to trim wheel and you should see its still there and listed with an older version of driver, click uninstall driver again, do this until you have removed all versions of the driver and you should be good to go. from memory I have no drivers installed for the trim wheel yet its still recognised in p3d (I am using fsuipc but I dont think that is needed)
oldgreydog

Post by oldgreydog »

I've had the same problem. Shortly after takeoff, all the controls go, together with the mouse making a hard shutdown necessary. Even if I used the keyboard to do the shutdown, the PC won't complete the process without the power button being held in.

I had seen a similar problem before and assumed it was a USB power saving issue. However, I think trying to solve it that way made it worse, because even without touching the trim wheel the system was freezing up.

I've unplugged the offending item and all seems well. I'm thinking of ripping the guts out of the trim wheel and replacing whatever variable resistor or hall sensor with a rotary encoder device.
masterhard

Post by masterhard »

hilpold wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:56 pm I've experienced the same symptoms (mouse and need for hard reset).
It looks like it's solved now.
Before:
Win 10, P3dv3 Pro, no addons
Action:
1 Device Manager, Saitek trim wheel connected.
This seems to be the solution for the problem. Worked for me on P3D 3.4.22.19868