Problems with F-22 rudder control at high speeds

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
AM940216

Problems with F-22 rudder control at high speeds

Post by AM940216 »

I am using a joystick, throttle, and rudder pedals (I’ve tried several different devices – all of them are listed below) to operate the F-22 Raptor in P3D v3.4 on Windows 10 and am having issues with rudder control. If I taxi on the ground or fly at low speeds (around 200 knots), the rudder pedals work fine. However, as aircraft speed increases while I’m in the air, moving the pedals seems to have less and less of an effect on rudder until eventually the aircraft doesn’t yaw at all (around 600-700 knots). I experience this with all of the devices that I’ve tried and still get the same results. I’ve also tried things such as making sure yaw damper is off, recalibrating the devices, and checking axis assignments -- a full list of everything I’ve tried is provided below. As I understand it, rudder effectiveness should increase with airspeed so I'm not sure why I'm experiencing the opposite effect. Any help on fixing this issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Devices:
Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Joystick
Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Throttle
Thrustmaster T.16000M Joystick
Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals
Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle and T.Flight Rudder Pedals

Things I’ve tried:
1. Installed updated drivers for all devices
2. Checked device connection and calibration in Windows Device Manager and Game Controllers
3. Calibrated each device separately from within P3D
4. Checked all axis assignments
5. Switched control input API method from Raw Input to DirectInput
6. Programmed devices in Thrustmaster T.A.R.G.E.T software
7. Ensured autopilot and yaw damper are off
8. Ensured autorudder is off in P3D settings
9. Tried various P3D difficulty settings (easy, medium, and difficult – all with autorudder OFF)
10. Changed rudder sensitivity and null zone settings (tried default values and max sensitivity, min null zone)
11. Increased rudder effectiveness in aircraft config file
12. Tried different aircraft (F-35) and still have same issues
WarpD

Re: Problems with F-22 rudder control at high speeds

Post by WarpD »

All control surfaces lose effectiveness at higher airspeeds. It is essentially a modified bell curve with regards to surface effectiveness. The F22's rudder is behaving correctly.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation