Major Fix Found

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
Hawaiianstyle78

Major Fix Found

Post by Hawaiianstyle78 »

Well after hours and days of trying numerous things, this has been a huge step forward with FPS and CPU/GPU performance. With countless hours trying to adjust every setting a hundred times over and over inside the P3d v4 options menu...I stumbled across this on a site and WOW! Im posting this and the thread link to it for anyone who wants to try it . Also the big info is to LM....there is something going wrong with how P3d loads up and how it reads the cores of our CPUs. Once again I have a high end PC overclocked with High end GPU but I have addons (PMDG, FlytheMaddog, REX products, Editvoicepack, & major One is 9.6 GB of AI aircraft with sounds). My P3d has been stutter ever since I purchased pmdg 2 weeks ago and even stutter when I bought Leonardo Maddog yesterday. I uninstalled my AiAircraft folder and of course P3d ran flawlessly but who wants NO AI aircraft? the skies are empty....so this is the link I found. Basically the minimal 4 steps that I followed from this guys info did something. When I started the Sim I was blown away in shock...there was no stutters and I was at KLAX with 6o Ai aircraft at the gates. I departed smoothly no stutters and flew to KSFO and landed with minimal stutters at KSFO. I don't know exactly what it does but I think LM needs to attain this process/info and somehow adjust the sim in next Update. Like I said this is just info im passing along that I found.
http://www.uk2000scenery.org/forum/inde ... pic=9050.0

The steps are easy if you cant figure out...here it is:
1) Start P3D using admin right
2) Once the P3d onscreen menu appears...don't touch anything (not even minimize)
3) Go to Task Manager (Windows Start menu/Type in search box Task Manager)
4) Right Click Prepar3d.exe
5) Go to Set Affinity
6) Click OFF so their is NO check in the "CPU 0" box
7) Quit Task Manager (Don't click End Process)
8) Load Up P3d with all your additional addons & Go to the Gate/airport
9) Once at airport...Pause, Minimize
10) Load up Task Manager, Put the Check BACK into the "CPU 0" box...Exit Task Manager and FLY with good FPS
killthespam

Re: Major Fix Found

Post by killthespam »

Yes indeed, but this entry in p3d.cfg on certain computers
[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=0
will do the same thing without any hassel.
Hawaiianstyle78

Wow ! Your right it works good .
Hawaiianstyle78

Where did u find out of the AM=0? And how long have u been using it?

So P3D runs everything on core 0, and it’s getting overloaded . My stutters went away with AM=0...this is crazy
killthespam

Post by killthespam »

With AM=0 all cores are on. I read on internet about it and I start using it without any problems. My understanding is that it's designed by default to use all the cores but, with this setting all my cores are pretty balanced and have no stutters at all. Why? I have no idea.
killthespam

Post by killthespam »

And how long have u been using it?

I think about 2 month ago.
Pop

Post by Pop »

Is the JOBSCHEDULER line in the cfg by default, cause It's not in mine! (P3Dv4)???
Dastardly

Post by Dastardly »

Pop wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:38 pm Is the JOBSCHEDULER line in the cfg by default, cause It's not in mine! (P3Dv4)???
You'd need to add that to the config file Pop.
Copy and paste the one a few posts up.
http://www.vcw-8.com
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

I believe that setting AffinityMask=0 should have the same effect as removing the entry from the cfg. Did you have this set to a different value before setting it 0?
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
killthespam

Post by killthespam »

"I believe that setting AffinityMask=0 should have the same effect as removing the entry from the cfg. Did you have this set to a different value before setting it 0?'
I did not have any entry of AM before.
Based on your statemns (Prepar3D) core loading should be spread evenly, and yes no AM entry should be all cores on.
Unfortunately based on the majority watching Task Manager core 0 is almost fully loaded and the others are 30 - 40 %. When core 0 is getting up to 100% stutters are present and this is where almost everybody is complaing about.
I don't know why but when entering
[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=0
is somehow balancing the core usage and stutters free.
Did not notice this issue on the previous version and did not feel the need of AM setting at all.
I wished I could be of more help, obviously this setting for many people helps so smething is goin on.
Regards
Alex
Hawaiianstyle78

All I have to say is I’ve tried a thousand configs in the last 2 months . My system is high end and I could barely fly out of klax. I was getting these artifact flickering squares In the VC only of my payware. I could not believe my Gtx 1080ti 11 Gb could be getting taxed or bottleneck creating this problem. As soon as I put in AM=0 it was like P3D was flying with the default F-22 with no Ai traffic but I was actually in the Flythemaddog X at KLAX with about 70 aircraft at the gates. Also my CPU temp dropped from 45C to 37C & my Gpu temp dropped from 57C to 50C all at KLAX with heavy AI & REX Skyforce . So with AM=0, it has def shifted the CPU load . And with that said , LM def has to fix this problem. This is a huge problem with having stutters & Fps problems
downscc

Post by downscc »

It is normal to see core 0 appear busy and other cores with less activity. I noticed this a long time ago and played with it by trying different tricks such as turning off core 0 thus forcing the other cores to pick up the load then turning core 0 back on and lo and behold they all appeared leveled. However, it didn't make any difference in performance, none that could be perceived or measured. I've played this game with both four and six core CPUs and the result is the same.

It is false to believe that a fully loaded core 0 is a bad thing. Even when the CPU is heavy, there are still millions of CPU instruction sets being executed that basically do very little... for example a process may have called other processes to run and while it waits for them it basically sits in a do loop waiting for the "while" to finish...and this inactivity will show up as core activity on the task manager.

Stutters are rarely caused by how the CPU is loaded by the operating system, which actually does this task rather than the application. The application may advise the OS to use or not use an affinity but it is the OS that does the task assignments.

If you are having stutters then you need to be looking somewhere else than CPU core loading.
Dan Downs
KCRP
killthespam

Post by killthespam »

Dan,
I'm not trying to pick up a fight here.
All what we should be asking here is why with only that AM entry the sim unloads core 0 from olmost 100% to lower than that and the stutters are gonne? That's the only change that brings stutters free to certain systems (people).
For me and other people that witnessed stutters only when core 0 was fully loaded at 100% it's very difficult to belive that is normal.
I don't understand why would I "need to be looking somewhere else than CPU core loading" when that AM entry fixed the stuttering problem and the systems are running flauless?
I would be looking all over and try to find something else if the AM wouldn't fix the problem, what's the point ruling out something that obviously it is an issue on certain systems?
Plase understand that if you don't have an issue with this, many have. So let's not rule out this possibility and have an open mind for the benefit of the others paying customers with problems.

Bets regards
Alex
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Please double-check to make sure there wasn't more than one AffinityMask entry in your cfg, and/or re-test with no AffinityMask entry to confirm that your issues return. I just stepped through the code using the debugger to confirm that a value of 0 is ignored.

Note that if your Affinity Mask actually were 0, this would indicate that no cores should be used. To force all cores, you need a decimal value equal to the binary mask with a 1 for each core. For example if you have 8 logical cores, this value would be 255. ( Do a Google search for "0b11111111 in decimal" to confirm. When I ran my debug test, 255 was indded the final mask used because this was the default set by the OS.

When we check the config value we do this:
1) Set override mask variable to 0 by default
2) Read a new override value from cfg if we find it
3) if mask is not 0, then set process affinity mask to override value

In otherwords, if the cfg entry is 0, the code will ignore it to avoid setting a bad mask of 0 and turning off all cores. In this case, all it does is get the process affinity from the OS and then set the same affinity mask back in.

As to the point about processor load, the mask only tells the OS which cores we can use. Certain rendering and simulation work has to be done on the primary core. This core will typically be heavily utilized. Other cores are used for work that can be done in the background. Their load will vary depending on your use. For example, if you start slewing rapidly, you should see these cores get loaded up with terrain paging work. Watching core usage on initial load will show all but one of the application cores are very busy loading.

Hope this helps clear things up.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
Hawaiianstyle78

I’ve gone online and tried ALL the AM numbers all configs and nothing worked . I’ve tried all the nvidia configs like triple buffering off and vertical sync off and setting a external Frame limiter and nothing worked. I’ve lowered my setting in P3D to 4xmsaa and although that has helped I still have major stutter and FPS hit. I’ve upgraded GPU & RAM and didn’t help out . I’ve lowered settings on monitor and changed MHz to 59 and nothing worked . I inputted
[Jobscheduler]
Affinitymask=0

.....and without even being in the sim game YET I noticed something but kept fingers crossed ....P3D loaded INSANELY fast to the main menu. Never seen that EVER. I then chose my aircraft and location/time and clicked Go.....this was the WOW....P3D loaded RIDICULOUSLY fast it took 7 seconds to load a 100% to get to my aircraft. Normally it took like 30-45 seconds to load a 100%. I still kept my fingers crossed. I then was sitting on RWY24L at KLAX with 70 Ai aircraft at the airport. Here comes the ultimate test, normally right when I panned using the Hat Switch it would stutter and lag. Soooo, I turned my head using hat switch the the KLAX terminal and it moved with NO STUTTERS! I couldn’t believe it and my traffic was 100%. I even heard my GPU Fan and my Corsair H100i V2 cooler fan immediately bog down from RPM. With that said that is confirmed evidence that the AM=0 did SOMETHING. And the 0 core theory/facts....proves to some people (NOT ALL) that 0 core has too much to handle the way LM has P3D read . This post is just to show proof of what occurred 2 days ago .