VR Frame Rate Drop v4.1

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
pensioned1

VR Frame Rate Drop v4.1

Post by pensioned1 »

Trying to get good enough frame rates in VR to use oculus rift and P3d v4.1.7 but as soon as I enable native VR the frame rates drop from whatever they were to about 22 to 25. I have numerously changed settings, lowered sliders, tried several different settings found on the internet and YouTube, to get with frame rates ( as high as 60 to 65 ) in Non VR P3D v4.1.7 and they always drop to about 22-25 as soon as VR is enabled. I am using triple monitors, i7, 7700, 3.6 GHz, nvidia 1080ti. I was expecting to be able to use VR in P3D after investing a lot of money and time trying to get reasonable frame rates. I have limited knowledge related to things and I am get a little frustrated.

No matter what FPS I have before switching to VR it always drops to the 22-25 rate. I have the oculus debug tool to vary pixel density from 0 to 1.7. I have installed the Oculus Tray Tool.

Any ideas?

Jack
Kayla Dillon

Re: VR Frame Rate Drop

Post by Kayla Dillon »

Hello,

We have made a lot of improvements to VR in 4.2. I suggest you update to 4.2 if you aren't waiting for any addons to become compatible.

Regards,
Kayla
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
pensioned1

Re: VR Frame Rate Drop v4.1

Post by pensioned1 »

Hi Kayla

I have been trying to download the newer version for two days now but I have very poor internet speed with limited download limit of 15 G /month. The download has quit twice and I have started again with still over 10 hours to go if uninterrupted .

Thanks for the reply.
Jack
Kayla Dillon

Post by Kayla Dillon »

Hello,

Have you tried using a download manager?

Regards,
Kayla
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

One thing to note with VR FPS is that the VR interfaces need a consistent frame rate to predict where you head will be when the frame is presented to the display. Because of this they often limit the FPS down to some multiple of the native refresh of the headset display. That's why you will typically see numbers like 90 45 30 22.5, 15 etc.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect