Added Categories not listed in Scenario load menu in V4

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
machtoo

Added Categories not listed in Scenario load menu in V4

Post by machtoo »

In V3 I was able to copy the FSX mission folders to the Scenarios folder and edit the scenarios.cfg file to get them to show up in the Scenario load menu. Most missions worked. Those that didn't I deleted. This is not working in P3D V4.

I edited the Scenario.cfg file in P3d V4 to list new categories corresponding to new folder in the Scenario folder as follows
Entry.0]
Title=Emergency
Path=Scenarios\Emergency
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.1]
Title=Tutorial
Path=Scenarios\Tutorials
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.2]
Title=Example
Path=Scenarios\Examples
Required=True
Active=True
Type=SCENARIO_TOOL_EXAMPLE_TYPE
[Entry.3]
Title=Common Scenarios
Path=Scenarios\Common
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.4]
Title=Airline Pilot Scenarios
Path=Scenarios\Airline Pilot
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.5]
Title=Backcountry Scenarios
Path=Scenarios\Backcountry
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.6]
Title=Challenges Scenarios
Path=Scenarios\Challenges
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.7]
Title=Just for Fun Scenarios
Path=Scenarios\Just for Fun
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.8]
Title=Law Enforcement Scenarios
Path=Scenarios\Law Enforcement
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.9]
Title=Military Scenarios
Path=Scenarios\Military
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.10]
Title=Pilot for Hire Scenarios
Path=Scenarios\Pilot for Hire
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.11]
Title=Racing Scenarios
Path=Scenarios\Racing
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.12]
Title=Test Pilot Scenarios
Path=Scenarios\Test Pilot
Required=True
Active=True

However they are not showing up in the Load window...this same setup worked fine in V3. How do you get the additional Scenario Categories to show up in the in game Load menu? The only Category listed is Saved.
Dean Taunton, PE, Private Pilot
X990 24 Gig ASUS P4S8X-X SOCKET 478 MOTHERBOARD , 2080 RTX Ti Founders (primary) monitor, 980 GTX Ti (second monitor), CP Flight 737 sim hardware, MFG pedals, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, TrackIR
FDS CDU
Martyson

Re: Added Categories not listed in Scenario load menu in V4

Post by Martyson »

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
machtoo

Post by machtoo »

Placing the Mission folders in the Documents/Prepar3D v4 Files folder did not fix the issue. In V3 placing them in the Scenarios folder and listing them in the cfg file worked fine. Something changed in V4...not sure what.
X990 24 Gig ASUS P4S8X-X SOCKET 478 MOTHERBOARD , 2080 RTX Ti Founders (primary) monitor, 980 GTX Ti (second monitor), CP Flight 737 sim hardware, MFG pedals, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, TrackIR
FDS CDU
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Thanks for informing us of the issue. We'll investigate on our end and get back to you.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
machtoo

Post by machtoo »

Any update on this issue?
FDS CDU
Brad Shiver
Lockheed Martin

Post by Brad Shiver »

Hey machtoo,

We aren't seeing this issue on our end. Are you certain that the file path is correct and there are no errors in the formatting of the cfg file? I noticed that Entry.0 doesn't have the left bracket in the text that you pasted from your cfg.

-Brad
machtoo

Post by machtoo »

The missing bracket is a copy error ... it is in the file. In P3D V3, the paths were the same as shown...I assume it knows to look in F:\Prepar3D\Scenarios or does it have to be explicit now?
FDS CDU
Brad Shiver
Lockheed Martin

Post by Brad Shiver »

Do the default categories like Emergency and Tutorials also not show in load scenario, or is it only the categories you added? Can you confirm that the file is in ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 and not Prepar3D v3?

-Brad
machtoo

Post by machtoo »

None of them show now...only Saved...
FDS CDU
Brad Shiver
Lockheed Martin

Post by Brad Shiver »

Can you run the Delete Generated Files executable in your v4 folder so that Prepar3D can regenerate them at startup? Also, did you check that the scenarios.cfg you are looking at is in v4's ProgramData directory?

-Brad
machtoo

Post by machtoo »

The cfg is in the correct Program Data/Lockheed Martin/PrePar3D V4 folder. Before I run this utility, I need to know exactly what it will delete or replace. I have made a copy of the complete folder as a backup.
FDS CDU
Brad Shiver
Lockheed Martin

Post by Brad Shiver »

Delete Generated Files will clear these locations:

%PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

-Brad
machtoo

Post by machtoo »

That is like going back to square one...there is a lot of configuration information etc in the files in those folders not related to scenario.cfg. Can we just delete the scenario.cfg and/or the Scenarios folder allow it to rebuild that file and folder contents?
FDS CDU
machtoo

Post by machtoo »

I did some experimentation this evening...here are the steps and results...
1. Deleted the scenarios.cfg in the Prepared V4 folder in Program Data.
2. Started P3D V4.
3. After load I selected Load from the Menu...the Tutorials and Emergency default folders in the main Scenarios folder were listed.
4. I shut down P3D.
5. I edited the newly created scenarios.cfg file and added

[Entry.3]
Title=Example
Path=Scenarios\Military
Required=True
Active=True

6. Restarted P3D V4.
7. Selected Load from the Menu...neither Tutorials or Emergency or Military were listed.
8. I shut P3D down.
9. Edited the scenarios.cfg folder and deleted the Entry.3 section.
10. Restarted P3D and waited for startup.
11. After load I selected Load from the Scenarios Menu...nothing but Saved listed.
12. Shut down P3D.
13. Deleted the scenarios.cfg file and restarted P3D.
14. After startup complete I selected Load from the Menu and the default folders Tutorials, Emergency, and Examples were listed.

Obviously something P3D V4 looks for in the folders in Prepar3D V4 Scenarios directory causes P3D V4 to prevent listing in the Scenario/Load menu if there is an FSX Mission folder listed in the scenarios.cfg file even if the folder with the files is present. V3 did not exhibit this behavior. It would at least list them in the Scenarios Load menu and if an FSX mission was selected it would tell you if an object (such as an aircraft) was missing and you add it to SimObjects and next time the mission would usually load. Some FSX missions were totally non-functional in V3 and you could delete them from the appropriate Scenarios folder. V4 will not list any of them. Not sure what V4 is looking for unless the scenario format changed drastically with V4.

So can you confirm that V4 is totally not compatible with FSX missions? Thanks
FDS CDU
machtoo

Post by machtoo »

Any more input from Lockheed team?
FDS CDU