[RESOLVED] HELP with updating to V4-2

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
simran737

[RESOLVED] HELP with updating to V4-2

Post by simran737 »

Hi,
I wanted to update from V-4 to V-4.2 (or is it 4-.1?). Anyway, only after I downloaded the whole 4.1 and did ran the set up exe icon, did I find the guide Updating P3 using the Update Component Installers.

I do see the part about using the Client Installer only when I do not want to deactivate P3. I just want to keep all my settings and add ons, etc. but just update to V-4.2. Assuming this installer is what I use to update, the question I have deals with going to the uninstall in control panel on the PC where I see P3D Academic Client and the others to uninstall, but the thing is because I did the set up phase, the installers I see are all dated yesterday, the 12th.

So where is old or existing installers to delete? Did I screw up by running set up exe? I did download not the one client but the whole V-4.1 update, which took 15 hours!!!

So what should I do now to get V-4.2?

Thanks

Randy
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: HELP with updating to V4-2

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hi Randy,

Can you confirm which version you have installed? To see this open the Help->About screen in the menu bar.
The version of each install component will also show up in the control panel. If you see 4.1 listed here for the client you can uninstall it and then run the client installer to upgrade. This will not upgrade content or scenery. If you want to upgrade all components you can uninstall the Prepar3D v4 Academic entry listed here and then run the full installer.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
simran737

Post by simran737 »

Hi,

When I downloaded the whole V-4.1 (that is what it said) I think I got V-4.2? But anyway, today I uninstalled the client and then went to the + sign and picked out the V4.2 client only and downloaded that. Them I installed it and ran the P3D and checks version and it said now 4.2.22 etc, etc. I am not certain just what happened yesterday after the 15 hour download of the whole V-4.1. Like I said, once completed, I clicked the set up exe that came with the client, scenery, content and some other files and it had a green line and took some time but finally said install complete. Not sure just what I installed then as when I ran the P3D and checked help yesterday, it still said V4-1. Very confusing.

But now I at least know I have done something, given that I can now see its version 4.2 and I now get the ATC text and can pick female or make voices where before they would not even show up to pick. The problem I have now is that I cannot hear any ATC or voices. I have PMsounds turned off and have Sound Q on and sliders full on the default but no engines or voices or any sounds now? Any idea what I need to check to get all the default sounds running?

Thanks
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

You may want to try completely uninstalling PMsounds. Even though it is turned off it may still be interfering with the default sounds. If that doesn't help we also we have general debugging steps here that should help narrow down the issue:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=123246

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
AbqVlieger

Post by AbqVlieger »

Hello,

I would also like to upgrade my version 4.1 to version 4.2. I have downloaded the new version. How can I upgrade without losing all of my addons?
Thank you.

Ryan Jones
simran737

Post by simran737 »

I finally just deleted the client file (don't know if it was V4.1) and then just downloaded the 4.2 client only, not the whole darn 12 gb file. Then I clicked it to install. I went into the P3d and under help saw now that I had v.4.2 something. Also my add ons and things were still there OK.