OOM in 2.5

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
mta00jtl

Post by mta00jtl »

Hi Rein,

I have to say I totally disagree with you. Full sliders on P3D is not the same as full sliders on FSX - I would suggest that mid sliders in P3D is around the equivalent of max sliders in FSX. The graphical additions and developments brought in by LM put a huge extra strain on the system and coupled with these complex add ons, memory usage is much bigger. Don't get me wrong, I was convinced something was wrong in P3D 2.4 and was blaming LM - but experimenting with a cleaner install in 2.5 has shown me that I need to be modest with settings to avoid OOM's. Max sliders is not going to be achievable until it is in a 64bit environment.

With all that said, mid sliders in P3D looks so much better (in my opinion) than FSX maxed out - the extra graphical additions (shadows, HDR, general improvements) make for a much more realistic simulation.

I honestly advise being sensible with the sliders - I spent the entire 2.4 cycle frustrated but now realise that the biggest impact on VAS was me!

James
ReinBijlsma

Post by ReinBijlsma »

Hi James,

Problem is that in Prepar 3D 2.4 we didn't have so many OOM's. Something must have gone wrong updating to 2.5.
mta00jtl

Post by mta00jtl »

Problem is that in Prepar 3D 2.4 we didn’t have so many OOM’s. Something must have gone wrong updating to 2.5.

I don't find that at all I'm afraid. VAS is released much better in 2.5 for me than it was in 2.4 where it just built and built. It may be due to having a cleaner install but I think it is most likely due to more reserved slider settings.

I appreciate your frustrations - I have a system capable of running pretty high slider settings in P3D - that said, if you max them out you can only expect an OOM. My frustrations with 2.4 came from using modest settings and STILL getting OOMs - something was clearly not right on my system. These issues are usually system specific - as you mention trying to go max with the sliders I can only assume this is your main issue.

As soon as 64 bit is out my sliders will go up a few notches! Hopefully with the upgraded system to handle it (GTX Titan X anyone?)!
Saghaard

Post by Saghaard »

"Problem is that in Prepar 3D 2.4 we didn’t have so many OOM’s. Something must have gone wrong updating to 2.5."

Fully agree with that.
jodle

Post by jodle »

ANother test flights:
Configuration:
1. P3D/PMDG777/ASN: EGLL-EKCH (low settings in p3d) - approaching EKCH 22L - OOM ;-)
2. P3D/PMDG777/OPUSFSI: EGLL-EGKK-EKCH (hi settings in p3d) - approaching EKCH 22L - also OOM.
3. I attached screen from processexplorer. My P3D OOM when rich 2,99GB.
Avidean

Post by Avidean »

I posted this in another thread about OOMs but I thought it get more feedback here:

"This strikes me as very odd. This is the tail end of a flight from KHQM to CYVR
over PNW ORBX/FSDreamteam. The Ping of Death started well out before the Turn
onto final CYVR was in view when it started. I left it alone on the ground for a good half an
hour and it pinged away with Task manager showing way over 6GB of ram being used.
I never saw this in any other version. I would get OOM in V2.5 with Task Manger showing
about 5.3gb used. It looks to me that VAS is far better in V2.5"

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4aX5Q ... sp=sharing

Having given it some more consideration I am not sure if this indicates if 2.5
is better at managing memory or worse?
cannow

Post by cannow »

For me coming out of egll 4 gb in process explorer and oom have not applied fix on kostas web page from microsoft not sure it applies to win 8.1 anyone know only delays the enevitable though
rodtod11

Post by rodtod11 »

For what its worth, I did as one poster here said and turned off the autogen vegetation ( trees ) . I have all the Orbx products, and my OOM's have stopped. Odd thing is I have had 2.5 for about a month and no problems until today. I was only flying the west coast over Orbx scenery trying things out. When I went to the east coast and tried a flight from JFK to Montreal, 3 minutes to OOM! I'm hoping that continues.
mariodantas

Post by mariodantas »

Honnestly I have OOM (P3D freezing) everytime I try to fly my iFly737NG over Portugal with ORBX+LC+VECTOR, I have a 737 homemade cockpit that i made for nothing as I can't enjoy. @LM please do something asap.
Now FSX seems to be stable when compared with P3DV2.5
ReinBijlsma

Post by ReinBijlsma »

I tried setting my tesselation-slider all the way to the left. OOM after 5 minutes.
Than I tried Kosta's Registry fix ( SharedSection=1024,20480,768 -> SharedSection=1024,20480,1024) which is supposed to work a little for windows 7 64 bits on my Windows 8.1 64 bits. I gained an extra 3 minutes, than the Prepar 3D 2.5 piano-concerto in C-minor started again and without warning I got a BSOD. So I changed the registry settings again to the original one.

Maybe I can play Prepar 3D 2.5 now by setting all my sliders to the left, by disabling all weather, all my scenery, by deleting all airplanes except for the submarine and by trying to float around at the bottom of the ocean at midnight. I'll let you know.
Terry1718

Post by Terry1718 »

You'll get an OOA, out of air if you do that! I found that by not installing Orbx Vector, I don't get OOM's. I have installed Orbx Global, Europe LC, EU Eng, Ire, N.Ire, Sco and Wales,a few UK2000 and Aerosoft airports and fly PMDG 737 and 777. I keep the scenery sliders at normal except scenery complexity which is dense. I actually became so annoyed with OOMs I installed FSX Steam Edition with the DX10 fixer as it seemed to handle memory better and there were no jaggies or shimmering caused by Nvidia's lack of driver support. I have a dual install now and without ORBX vector installed in P3D, I'm more likely to get OOM's with FSX SE now with similar visuals as I know the settings are completely different. If only Nvidia would sort release a driver.
Win 10, 8700K @5GHz, 2080ti, 32Gb RAM, Valve Index.
TomazDrnovsek

Post by TomazDrnovsek »

So, basically, if you use complex aircraft over complex scenery you'll probably get OOM?
RChris

Post by RChris »

Yup
Kosta

Post by Kosta »

So, basically, if you use complex aircraft over complex scenery you’ll probably get OOM?

Why can I then fly from UK200 EGKK to Flytampa LOWW, over FSGUX, FTXG and UTXv2? I usually land with 3800MB of VAS. Flew the route couple of times already.
TomazDrnovsek

Post by TomazDrnovsek »

Flying with what? NGX?
Maybe it's all about the sliders than? Maybe you don't have them very high and people with OOMs do?