V5 'dedicated graphics memory has run out' 8GB VRAM

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
cwburnett

V5 'dedicated graphics memory has run out' 8GB VRAM

Post by cwburnett »

Not sure if this is by design, but in v4.5HF2 I would occasionally run past my dedicated VRAM capacity and the sim would use some shared GPU memory. This would happen at very complex 3rd party add on airports with a complex 3rd party aircraft. In v5, I have just installed LVFR KMIA v5 for P3dV5 and received an error stating that my 'dedicated graphics memory has run out' and am offered the option to abort, ignore or retry. If I choose ignore, I get a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG without the system ever attempting to use the shared GPU memory like v4.5 does. I realize I can lower my settings, but in v4.5 this rarely happened and only for very short periods of time, so there was no serious performance implication. Here's the VRAM usage at the time it occurs. Just curious if this is expected behavior? In other words, will P3Dv5 not make use of Shared GPU memory like v4.5 did?

gronden

Re: V5 'dedicated graphics memory has run out' 8GB VRAM

Post by gronden »

Same here.. always device hung error. in this situation P3D 5 is pretty unusable.
igorbischi

Post by igorbischi »

It is the same for me, unusable at the moment. Crashes due to GPU low memory.
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

The fallback mode using shared memory for over budget applications was handled behind the scenes by the D3D11 driver. Please see my post here for more details:
viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=136873&p=212507#p212543

Thanks
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
cwburnett

Post by cwburnett »

Thanks for the reply - I checked out the other thread and understand what you're saying about DX12 vs 11. I wanted to clarify, though, that when I get the 'dedicated graphics memory has run out' message, it doesn't matter which option I click (abort, ignore or retry), I get a CTD with the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG.

It seems generally, then, that with an 8GB GPU it is generally no longer feasible to run at 4k because of the risk of going over budget at the end of a flight causing a CTD. My limited experience is that I can take off and cruise under the limit, but as I approach another complex airport it pushes me past the budget, I get the message and can't choose any of the options without inducing a CTD.
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Thanks for the clarification. We're sorry to hear the settings change isn't working properly for you. We will try to reproduce the crash on our end and improve the settings change experience so that the app can continue to run.
Beau Hollis
cannow

Post by cannow »

cwburnett wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:22 am Not sure if this is by design, but in v4.5HF2 I would occasionally run past my dedicated VRAM capacity and the sim would use some shared GPU memory. This would happen at very complex 3rd party add on airports with a complex 3rd party aircraft. In v5, I have just installed LVFR KMIA v5 for P3dV5 and received an error stating that my 'dedicated graphics memory has run out' and am offered the option to abort, ignore or retry. If I choose ignore, I get a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG without the system ever attempting to use the shared GPU memory like v4.5 does. I realize I can lower my settings, but in v4.5 this rarely happened and only for very short periods of time, so there was no serious performance implication. Here's the VRAM usage at the time it occurs. Just curious if this is expected behavior? In other words, will P3Dv5 not make use of Shared GPU memory like v4.5 did?

I have noticed this there is no load on the GPU . I am seeing the same .See the image 2 % load on GPU this should be way more .I am on a RTX 2080 loads of crashes and issuses especially VR then noticed the GPU load even with low VRAM
cwburnett

Post by cwburnett »

cannow wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:24 pm I have noticed this there is no load on the GPU . I am seeing the same .See the image 2 % load on GPU this should be way more .I am on a RTX 2080 loads of crashes and issuses especially VR then noticed the GPU load even with low VRAM
In fairness, this load goes to zero because the card has crashed, if I had known it was going to crash and had looked at GPU previously, it shows a normal load, maybe 60% or so is what I'm seeing...

The end result is that DX12 is more efficient and I'm seeing lower GPU and CPU loads as compared with v4.5, but higher VRAM usage.
cannow

Post by cannow »

I will recheck mine later today . I was seeing 2 % load when card running which could not be right .
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

FWIW.

I was having a similar issue with a 4GB card. No surprise since 4GB is the minimum spec. I was wondering if I was going to have to get a new card.

However, I was able to get it to run on my triple 5960x1080 setup, with some pretty good visuals, by reducing the Texture Resolution setting from 4096x4096 to 1024x1024. This change, for me anyways, opened up a lot more vram to be used for other settings.

I haven't been able to get my 4 screen setup to work with a view group yet as it just uses too much vram and I may have to get a bigger card.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
RobCom

Post by RobCom »

I just had my 2080RTX (2560x1080) run out of V ram just running the Atmospheric Beta effects with clouds on highest over Orbx Portland city out of FlightBeam KPDX, the problem is I was running the performance app and the out-of-Vram crashed at 5.8gb, even though my 2080RTX has 8 physical, with 16 shared for a total of 24.....lol. It must have spiked so quickly that the windows performance app didn't have time to tell me how much Video ram it was using?

I turned off the beta effects and I haven't crashed since, the ram goes up and down. It has gone up to 5.8 again and didn't crash.
ASUS Z690 Apex ; 12900k ; 32gig Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800 ; ASUS RTX 4080 OC ; Creative SB Audigy Rx
Micha2405

Post by Micha2405 »

Hello, the same experience here.
I made a test on PHNL (FS dreamteam, Orbx Citycape Honolulu, FSGlobal Ultimate, FTX Trees HD, FTX Global base). In P3D v5 I got VRAM Overflow directly (2800RTXS) VRAM 6,6 GB.WITHOUT an Addon Aircraft!
Under the same circumsances in P3D v4,5 additionally using the PMDG NGXu, nothing happend. VRAM 7,5 GB.
For me is clear, that P3D v5 with an Addonaircraft like PMDG or FSLabs (if the release will come) is not executabel, exception using at least an RTX2080TI).

Regards Michael
(Sorry for my bad english)
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

5.8gb, even though my 2080RTX has 8 physical, with 16 shared for a total of 24.....
The budget applies to dedicated memory. Shared memory is used for uploading to the GPU. The size of the budget depends on the OS. Some users have reported that Win10 2004 uses less VRAM. If you have other applications that use the GPU, that will impact your budget.
Beau Hollis
RobCom

Post by RobCom »

Beau Hollis wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:03 pm
5.8gb, even though my 2080RTX has 8 physical, with 16 shared for a total of 24.....
The budget applies to dedicated memory. Shared memory is used for uploading to the GPU. The size of the budget depends on the OS. Some users have reported that Win10 2004 uses less VRAM. If you have other applications that use the GPU, that will impact your budget.

This is true of the new OS update, at least for me, I am an insider and I subscribe only to the release versions, I just got 2004 and instead of 6.6 out of 8, my system now shows 7.1 out of 8. That little bit makes a huge difference by the way.

I was thinking about this though, and why would the system even allocate (or claim to have) the 16gb of shared ram if it's never going to be used when the physical is about to go over budget? In other words, why doesn't the system, and additional apps, use the shared ram and leave all the dedicated to the main program being run that will make the most of it?

And why on earth doesn't the DirectX start rejecting the unused stuff in the Vram faster? I was doing some testing last night at one of the most memory hog sceneries, I started out and my frame rate was in the 30's and 40's, however when the flight loaded my Vram was already at 6.6 (according to the in-app readout, out of the 7.1), after taking off it held at the 6.6, then dropped to 6.0, then to 5.8, but when I turned back toward the airport it jumped back up to 6.6, 6.7 and never went back down, when I tried to land it just kept going up till it went over budget (to 7.1) when taxi to parking and the warning came up. it DID allow me to restart/reload the flight from the beginning though, it wasn't a hard lock.

I ended up setting the texture max to 2048 to gain some head room and it works fine, BUT I am still using the default aircraft, no weather or traffic addons, and only a little navigation map addon.

I wonder, can this be fixed?

And if so, would it be through a driver update, OS level update, P3Dv5 update or DirectX itself?

thanks for taking the time Beau, I know you must be busy, it just helps to figure this out if I understand it better.
ASUS Z690 Apex ; 12900k ; 32gig Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800 ; ASUS RTX 4080 OC ; Creative SB Audigy Rx
miseb79

Post by miseb79 »

I have same problem with NVIDIA 6GB card, it doesnt matter if I fly with complex aircraft addon or default from P3D. I have ORBX base pack installed. Sometimes I cannot even takeoff and it hung up. I tried various graphic settings, cannot reproduce error, it looks like it is appearing randomly.