Improved Performance in 4.5, but more freezes

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
FredK

Re: Improved Performance in 4.5, but more freezes

Post by FredK »

As I reported in more detail in another recent post.....

I started seeing performance issues with P3D 4.4 that continued with 4.5. Issues included extremely long scenery loading, freezes approaching destination airports, and unexpected and unexplainable random crashes. These issues were the same on each of the 3 WideView client computers in my multi-channel setup.

All that immediately disappeared when the latest version of DirectX auto-updated on my computers about two weeks ago. That version is 26.21.14.3136 dated 02July 2019. (The only reason that I knew DirectX was updated was because the DxDiag window appeared at bootup on each of my three computers. Strange I thought since that had never happened before.)

So I am thinking that either my DirectX had somehow become corrupted coincident with P3D 4.4 or the new DirectX version has some kind of magical improvement.

I never thought to consider DirectX as a factor related to performance troubleshooting.

Any insights on this?
Sky_King

Post by Sky_King »

That can't be a correct Directx version since the version numbering doesn't follow the MS scheme. The correct number scheme is xx.xx.xxxxx.xxxxx (for DX12) and x.xx.xxxx.xxxxx (for DX11).

As several posters in your other post said, the current released version for DX12 is 10.00.10240.16384 .

BTW, you could have Googled "26.21.14.3136" and found that number is the latest NVidia driver number, NOT a DirectX update.
Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5; Win11 Pro; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k..
FredK

Post by FredK »

Sky_King wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:28 pm That can't be a correct Directx version since the version numbering doesn't follow the MS scheme. The correct number scheme is xx.xx.xxxxx.xxxxx (for DX12) and x.xx.xxxx.xxxxx (for DX11).

As several posters in your other post said, the current released version for DX12 is 10.00.10240.16384 .

BTW, you could have Googled "26.21.14.3136" and found that number is the latest NVidia driver number, NOT a DirectX update.
You are correct...That is the latest driver number. I had updated my nVidia driver to 431.36. The thing that fixated me on DirectX was that the DxDiag window appeared on a subsequent bootup of each of my 3 WideView client computers.....I never experienced that before.

In any event whatever happened has dramatically improved my P3D performance that I have been plagued with ever since version 4.4. Others are now reporting the exact same thing (see my separate "DirectX" thread on all this). Just wanted to report all is good here now. I do not know if it was simply the driver update or something to do with DirectX.
tsak

Post by tsak »

I also see these stutters regularly. Tiny, almost un-noticeable on airports. Regular multiple stutters while en-route, and then finally when approaching the destination airport.

When this happens, I can often* see in Windows' Resource Monitor that P3D is loading stuff. Models and bitmap textures seem to have the largest impact. The Resource Monitor shows that the loading time can be between 1 and 15 ms, and the larger the number of files, the bigger the stutters. P3D and all add-ons that are needed during run-time are on a SSD. Core 0 on the i5-9600K CPU seldom exceeds 85 %, but cores 2 through 5 show almost full load during stutters. GPU usage is around 35 %.

This is really the biggest nuisance with P3D at the moment in my opinion.

* Sometimes P3D stutters or even freezes when injecting objects. GSX used to be really bad in that respect, but after the latest update the freezes seem to be gone.

Regards,

Dimitrios
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

I thought P3D only uses DirectX 11, and not DirectX 12?

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
keenrw

Post by keenrw »

Started getting the pauses with the new Dublin scenery from MK Studios as well.....If any one has it and you dont use any Orbx scenery can you try the DEXEN1A SID from runway 28 as the pauses seem worse on that departure , just after the OE NDB on track to DEXEN passing say FL70ish it freezes for what seems like 3-5 secs.

Rich