30 or 31 Target frame rate?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
francescodoenz

30 or 31 Target frame rate?

Post by francescodoenz »

Reading across forums there are recommendations for 30 or 31 FPS as a target? What are the arguments for one or the other?
MSI MEG Z390 Godlike, 9700K, 2xRTX2080TI NVlink, 16GB G.Skill DDR4-4600, 2xAlphacool Eiswand, Coolermaster HAF-X
downscc

Re: 30 or 31 Target frame rate?

Post by downscc »

I'd argue there is no difference, unless you are having a problem with the rendering or animation. One popular setup if your frame rate unlocked never drops below 33 is to set the monitor to 30 Hz refresh and use VSync and Triple Buffering. In the old days when monitors were CRTs and our displays were no where near HD there were reasons to synchronize the frame rate with the refresh rate but modern system have much more bandwidth and process much faster. Most video cards today pre render a couple of frames regardless of your settings.

Find a setting that works best for you. Higher frame rates mean less time to process each frame so I use rate lock at 24 fps with a 4K TV at 60 Hz and with high resolution terrain textures it looks great!
Dan Downs
KCRP
bpieke

Post by bpieke »

Many have found that leaving the fps lock set to unlimited in P3D, and setting the fps outside the sim produces the most fluid experience.

Try RTSS or NVI to set the framerate.

If you have P3D set to unilimited and Vsync to off, you can set up a Prepar3d profile in RTSS (freeware) and select Scanline X/2 which will produce 30 fps on a 60 Hz monitor. (also change the value on the Scanline setting to a non zero value for the setting to activate!)
downscc

Post by downscc »

bpieke wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:45 pm Many have found that leaving the fps lock set to unlimited in P3D, and setting the fps outside the sim produces the most fluid experience.
This was okay in P3Dv3 but not recommended for v4 because P3D internally manages workload based on the frame rate value. It adjust accordingly when the user selects a value other than unlimited, something it cannot do when you use external frame rate locks. This is from Rob Ainscough in several forum posts over the past year.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

bpieke wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:45 pm Many have found that leaving the fps lock set to unlimited in P3D, and setting the fps outside the sim produces the most fluid experience.

Try RTSS or NVI to set the framerate.

If you have P3D set to unilimited and Vsync to off, you can set up a Prepar3d profile in RTSS (freeware) and select Scanline X/2 which will produce 30 fps on a 60 Hz monitor. (also change the value on the Scanline setting to a non zero value for the setting to activate!)
There are many opinions on the best setting(s) which can vary depending on "many things".

What I have done for many years is just set the sim to Locked 20 FPS.
Basically, set it and forget it.
Has worked well for me on my PC's / OS's (I have gone through a few).
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Senchay

Post by Senchay »

downscc wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:11 pm
This was okay in P3Dv3 but not recommended for v4 because P3D internally manages workload based on the frame rate value. It adjust accordingly when the user selects a value other than unlimited, something it cannot do when you use external frame rate locks. This is from Rob Ainscough in several forum posts over the past year.
But its the only way hundreds of ppl can use.... Because in the end its still true. Locking fps inside to 30 fps with heavy addons and scenery, even if it would produce 50 fps unlocked, introduces very low fps, like 22 to 28 in those hard areas AND horrible microstutter. On some planes like FSLabs or CaptainSIm 757 and in heavier areas it gets down to 15 on a highend PC. All this doesnt happen with outside lock and STILL gives some feeling of vsync,

It still as valid es ever ^^

Im in a pretty big community and near to everyone has this problem with low fps with inside fps lock, since 4.4.

Locking outside by exactly what ther person told, using scanline sync is the most fluid experince for them and me too.

Difference in areas like True Earth is absolutley unbelievable. where i would get 45 fps on EHAM departure i get 22 when i lock it to 30 in p3. Thats what i hear from everyone.
P3D 5.3, I7700K, 2080 RTX, 16GB Ram, Asus Prime Z270K, Win 10
Active Addons: ActiveSky, Skyforce Env Textures, Envshade, GSX, UtLive
downscc

Post by downscc »

I lock internally to 24 and animation is perfectly fluid so I'm citing a fact from a P3D test team member and you are citing anecdotal information. In the end each user will find a good or best configuration that works for them, but external rate lock should not be recommended.
Dan Downs
KCRP