[RESOLVED] I broke VR

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Joemason

[RESOLVED] I broke VR

Post by Joemason »

Very difficult to explain what is going on...

VR was working just fine however, it is now very broken. Using a HTC Vive Pro with wireless adapter it seems as though the previous frame displays after the new frame displays followed by the new new frame then the previous frame etc. It causes a nauseating eye straining visual wobble/jitter/extreme stutter effect that renders VR totally unusable. It is not visible on the monitor, just in the headset. This is the case in both v4.3 and v4.4. P3D works properly when not in VR.

Things I have changed since it stopped working - Windows 10 1803 to 1809, GPUs from SLI Titan X to SLI RTX 2080ti and driver from 3xx.xx to 417.35.

I am using steam VR 1.1.4 and I have tried altering all settings I can see in an attempt to figure out what is causing it. I am unable to upload a screen shot as it is only visible in the headset.

VR used to work and it was great and VR works properly in other games.

My rig is:
i7 6850k
RTX 2080ti SLI Driver 417.35
64gb RAM
Windows 10 Home 1809
HTC Vive Pro with wireless adapter SteamVR 1.1.4

Does anyone please have any idea what may be causing it? I think maybe a driver issue but VR works in all other games I play so not sure.

Thanks
Joemason

Re: I broke VR

Post by Joemason »

...and then I fixed it!

It turns out P3D VR does not like RTX in NVLink. It works perfectly fine when not in VR. However, when you fire up VR the image in the headset becomes wildly unstable and disorienting. In order to get it to work, you have to first disable SLI and then you have to disable your second GPU in device manager. If you don't disable the second GPU you will get an error saying the headset and main monitor need to be plugged into the same GPU - even if they are (although I'm using HTC Vive wireless, wired users may not need to do this).

Anyway, for SLI RTX owners, to use VR in P3D, turn off SLI and disable the second GPU.

I hope this helps someone else out there!