Prepar3D v4.3 C-130 Engine Failure

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Flathead2

Prepar3D v4.3 C-130 Engine Failure

Post by Flathead2 »

Thank you very much for the new updates.
I was a USAF Crew Chief on C-130E (62-1792) for two years on this aircraft in the late '60s.
Being responsible for all of the maintance of this aircraft, I had to report to the Launch Officer when it was ready to be placed back on the line and into service. In all my time in service, I have never flown in my aircraft when it had a four engine failure.
In the P3Pv4 any C-130, I have had a four engine failure three times.
I do not have any ‘Failures’ set in the program.
I do not understand why this is happening.
Two other flights have ended in a four engine shut-down with ample fuel.
Today, 9-7-18, I was able to save my flight twice. The first half of the flight all four engines shut-down, I was able to restart all four engines, but the second time I restarted but the two outboard engines. I greased it in with -137’ landing, but that is another thing.
What do you think could be the problem? Thank you for your time!
Martyson

Re: Prepar3D v4.3 Updates

Post by Martyson »

"In the P3Pv4 any C-130, I have had a four engine failure three times. "

What were you doing when it happened?

Do other P3D default aircraft have the same problem?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Flathead2

Post by Flathead2 »

"What were you doing when it happened?"
Flight from KLUF (Luke AFB) to 1O2 (Northern California) approximately one and a half hours into a 2.6 hour flight at FL300 (straight and level), I had a four engine failure. I looked at fuel - check, I looked at bleed air - 0 psi, I looked at electrical - all four generator - out, so I started Air Start Procedures. I moved the condition levers to feather and got aircraft into best glide ratio configuration. With aircraft stabilized, I moved each engine (#3 first) condition lever to air start. I was able to restart all four engines. My aircraft regained altitude and then, straight and level flight.
During the same flight, the second all engine failure was about 50nm from destination. The same scenario as above except I was able to restart #1 and #4 engines. I landed safely (-137’) and everyone walked away.
“Do other P3D default aircraft have the same problem?
I have only flown the default B350 with no problems. I have flown the Carenado: 525A Citation, SR22 GTSX Turbo, and C172SP with no problems.
My 64-bit OS Computer:
Intel Core i7-930@ 2.8 GHz
ASUS EAH5970/GDDR5 SDRAM
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD5970
OCZ 2000 MHz 12GB DDR3 (RAM)
Western Digital 500GB Drive
HITACHI SATA-II 500GB-7200RPM
Kingwin Mach 1 ABT-1220MAIS
Thank you so much for your attention to my problem. I have over 15,000 hours with AirSource Pilots’ Union. I bought ALL of the Captain Sim (FS9, FSX, and FSX SE) versions of the C-130s and I have never had anything like this occur while I was flying along and minding my own business. Thanks for any help!
Flathead2 (Twin Engine Harley)
Don Smith (KDFW)
=Hollywood=

Post by =Hollywood= »

I've had problems with multiple aircraft shutting down engines from the helicopters to 3rd party aircraft like the Alabeo Piper Tomahawk. Usually right at the start of a scenario. The engine runs for a second one the scenario starts, then it'll shut down and I need to re-start the engine.
Flathead2

Post by Flathead2 »

Hey Vaughan and Hollywood
Maybe another Update is in order.
Thank you for your time, Sirs!
Don
Flathead2

Post by Flathead2 »

Anyone else have any ideas?
I really would like to fly my P3Dv4 C-130 around the neighborhood!
Now, I can only fly my FSX SE CaptSim C-130, is that what you really want? hhehheheehe
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Did all 4 engines fail at the same time?

What hardware setup (levers/axes/throttle/etc.)is use to control each engine?

What is used to assign and calibrate the axes for each engine?
Best Regards,
Flathead2

Post by Flathead2 »

All four engines failed, Sir!
I have but a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick to control all of my FltSims. The single rheostat type throttle control on the joystick controls single or multi-engine functions on my aircraft.
All assignments or calibrations for single or multi-engines set to default in FSX SE and/or P3Dv4.3

Like I said, I do not understand the situation(s) that would ever produce this scenario in a C-130. The probabilities would be astronomical for ALL four engines to quit at the same time!!!
Any ideas would help and thank you for your time, Sir!
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Flathead2 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:46 pm All four engines failed, Sir!
I have but a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick to control all of my FltSims. The single rheostat type throttle control on the joystick controls single or multi-engine functions on my aircraft.
All assignments or calibrations for single or multi-engines set to default in FSX SE and/or P3Dv4.3

Like I said, I do not understand the situation(s) that would ever produce this scenario in a C-130. The probabilities would be astronomical for ALL four engines to quit at the same time!!!
Any ideas would help and thank you for your time, Sir!
Your setup is one hardware axis common to all 4 engines (unlike the P3D C130). A problem there would effect all 4 engines.
What is controlling your 4 Condition levers?

A few screenshots (or video) of the engine gauges on the main panel, throttle levers / condition levers and the overhead panel gauges/switches at the time of the failure would be helpful.
Best Regards,
Flathead2

Post by Flathead2 »

I actuate the four condition levers individually with my mouse when and if necessary.
I do not have any evidence (video or pictures) of the cockpit status at the time of the failures. The three flights are completed and PIREP.
At the time of take-off, the throttles and condition levers are all the way forward to the firewall. The throttles and condition levers remain in that position during the flight until throttles are retarded for landing. These failure happened mid-flight and not on approach.
I am flying VATSIM when these catastrophic four engines failures occur.
Could VATSIM Admin, trainers or other aviators affect flight characteristics of an aircraft to test the pilot’s ability to overcome such preposterous failures?
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Flathead2 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:17 pm I actuate the four condition levers individually with my mouse when and if necessary.
I do not have any evidence (video or pictures) of the cockpit status at the time of the failures. The three flights are completed and PIREP.
At the time of take-off, the throttles and condition levers are all the way forward to the firewall. The throttles and condition levers remain in that position during the flight until throttles are retarded for landing. These failure happened mid-flight and not on approach.
I am flying VATSIM when these catastrophic four engines failures occur.
Could VATSIM Admin, trainers or other aviators affect flight characteristics of an aircraft to test the pilot’s ability to overcome such preposterous failures?
On your next failed flight:
A few screenshots (or video) of the engine gauges on the main panel, throttle levers / condition levers and the overhead panel gauges/switches at the time of the failure would be helpful.

Edit:
What is your default flight airport and aircraft?
Best Regards,
Flathead2

Post by Flathead2 »

OK - I will try to fly tomorrow and I will be ready when this happens.
Thanks Vaughan!
Defaults: P3D4 - KDFW (Dallas-Ft Worth) and the Beechcraft A36 Bonanza
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Flathead2 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:55 pm OK - I will try to fly tomorrow and I will be ready when this happens.
Thanks Vaughan!
Defaults: P3D4 - KDFW (Dallas-Ft Worth) and the Beechcraft A36 Bonanza
Just to verify.
Is the Beechcraft A36 Bonanza a payware aircraft?

When the engines all fail just pause the sim and do the screenshots (or video).

Per your PM to me :
To do a screenshot look here:
http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 5&t=126059
Best Regards,
Flathead2

Post by Flathead2 »

P3Dv4.4 Depart: 1652 ZULU
8-12-18, C-130J Flight @ FL280, PANC (Anchorage) - PAOM (Nome), Flight time – 2.5hrs.
Low Altitude Flight Plan - PANC TED T246 MCG V440 UNK MOS EMMMO PAOM
1) All four engines quit simultaneously at 20mins after Take Off
All four engine fuel switches were in the OFF position and all four boost pump toggle switches were in the OFF position at time of failure.
All engines stabilized again at 1721 – no further incidence happened on this flight.

Is there a default switch that would switch all engines OFF at the same time?

I am still working on the pictures.
I messed-up my web browser page trying to use the wrong image hosting website.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Just to verify.
Is the Beechcraft A36 Bonanza a payware aircraft?
Best Regards,