Flickering after Win10 update

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Pstlpete

Flickering after Win10 update

Post by Pstlpete »

5/18 win 10 update. At the same time there was an NVidea driver update. The next time I started P3D v3.4 I was getting screen flickering. Now, I have both P3D v3.4 & 4.2. Opened v4.2, got the same flickering. Thought it may have come from the new NVidea driver. So, I rolled back the driver, never had this problem with the rolled back driver & I don't recall which version it was. In any case, the flickering persisted. Went through all the recommended troubleshooting step as recommended in the P3D forums. No joy, still flickering. Did a cleaning of the NVidea driver & did a clean install of their driver 382.33. The flickering still persists. I am sitting here wondering why Microshit updates always seem to cause other problems while they are claiming that their update adds so many wonderful addons & fixes mumerous other items but then screws up some other thing. Thanx in advance for any suggestions to alleviate "flickering".

Pete
Herman01

Re: Flickering after Win10 update

Post by Herman01 »

Hi Pete, I encountered same problem:

- Try enable "VSync" and "Triple Buffering" in the settings

if that will not help: reduce target framerate

(see also other threads on this forum)

Herman
Pstlpete

Post by Pstlpete »

Herman, 1st thanx for the reply. I did the vsync & triple buffering with no effect. Just frustrating because it seems like like every time you get ahead & it seems to be running great you get an update & go back 2 steps. Before update sim was running well with just about everything maxed. It seems as though something in the update changed something & now I have to find it.
Herman01

Post by Herman01 »

Hi Pete, I agree with you. Windows update not always makes the simulator better. Do you have multi GPU and do you use undock 2D panels? I have the idea that it has somethingto do with synchronizing the GPU buffers.
Herman
gregh

Post by gregh »

Im running a 3 projector setup with one computer per projector, and with only one graphics card per PC. (GTX980Ti)
All three computer updates to 1803 caused black flickering.
I rolled back all 3 computers back to 1709 and now its working.
Drax

Post by Drax »

I just ran into the same issues on a group of machines. All machines are running GTX1080 cards that surround on 3 main displays, a secondary card (either a GTX580 or a GTX970) driving a pair of ELO touch panels for pilot and co-pilot MFD's. the flicker is somehow contained to only one of the ELO panels,and worsens with use of the hat switch on the joystick. This happens on my machines with either the 1709 or 1803 build of win 10. My machines were recently updates from 1703 to 1803. After this issue was noticed, i tested 1709 and found it gave the same issue so now all are rolled back to 1703.
Herman01

Post by Herman01 »

Drax, same for me:

before 1709 update: no flickering problem
after 1709 update: flickering occurs after undocking, no flickering in Full screen mode
after 1803 update: problem intensified: also flickering in Full Screen mode

what helped:
1709 update, I have reset most graphics settings to default, that reduced the problem
1803 update, enabled Vsync and Tripple buffering, target framerate to 50 fps

I have made a two short flights without a problem. I hope it will be stable, but I am not sure that its not going to happen in a particular configuration in the future. I am not convinced that the problem has really been resolved.

Herman
Drax

Post by Drax »

Herman01,

Thanks for the run down...I wish I would have had more time to test some different setting, but we actually have program starting today and all 42 of my sims in the hangar bay will be in use pretty much daily now for the next few months. as soon as I can im going to either down one or work on a test rig.
Pstlpete

Post by Pstlpete »

Herman01 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:59 pm Hi Pete, I agree with you. Windows update not always makes the simulator better. Do you have multi GPU and do you use undock 2D panels? I have the idea that it has somethingto do with synchronizing the GPU buffers.
Herman
Not exactly sure what you mean by undocked 2d panel. If my assumption is corect I would say no. I really believe that the cause & effect in the sim comes from that update. The only addons, not really addons, they don't show in the addon file, are RadarContact & REX stuff. All at the same time the following was going on......I am beta testing some REX stuff & an update came out at the same time as the MS update. Also after the update RC had to be re-registered. I did testing w/o RC & REX, changed graphics card settings (1080TI), tried it all w/o change. The only thing that fixed the flickering was to lower the framerate to 55. Up to this point, from v1 thru 3.4 & 4.2 on 2 different machines (the other machine had a 970) I have used unlimited framerate with no problems. It seems like the MS update changed some graphics setting hidden away someplace.
I should also add that I use both 3.4 & 4.2.