Is there a fix for blurry photo terrain in v4.2?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
bobr

Is there a fix for blurry photo terrain in v4.2?

Post by bobr »

After recently doing a fresh install of 4.2 I've had nothing but problems with terrain textures. Default and FTX global now look fine with the texture size exponent set to 10. Thankfully my gpu can handle it. Any lower than that and it's back to blurry textures, unfortunately. Photoscenery, on the hand, doesn't seem to have any fix. I've tried everything from reinstalling P3D, clearing generated files, affinity masks, driver updates and rollbacks... nothing does it. It's really a shame, as it completely kills the experience when in an area with photoscenery.

I did not have to worry about any of this with 4.1 on the very same system I'm using now with 4.2. Hopefully somebody has a solution.

I'm on windows 10, with an intel i7 6850k @ 4.2ghz, 64gb ram, 2x gtx 1080s (I only run off one when using the monitor, but I use both when in VR).
I have many addons installed at this point and the sim runs very nicely, aside from the issue mentioned above, which was present even on a fresh install.
P3D5.1
Martyson

Re: Is there a fix for blurry photo terrain in v4.2?

Post by Martyson »

"After recently doing a fresh install of 4.2 I've had nothing but problems with terrain textures."

Do you have a video sample to show the problem?

I would like to go to the same area / airport / scenery to see it on my setup.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
bobr

Post by bobr »

Hi Martyson. I am no longer running the sim in its default state and have managed to get rid of blurry landclass textures by using texture size exponent set to 10, so I'm not sure how much help that would be.

I do have a couple screenshots of the blurry default terrain I was experiencing after this latest install: https://imgur.com/6jnPYGx
https://imgur.com/HGXlyPV
Make sure you view it at full size in order to see the surroundings properly. These were taken over Eglin AFB, the default starting location.

I'd be happy to show some video of areas with blurry photo terrain, but I don't use a ton of it -- it's generally just around certain addon airports I have, most notably the OrbX ones like Eagle County, Jackson Hole, and Innsbruck.
P3D5.1
Saldo

Post by Saldo »

Unfortunately LM has not improved on how photoscenery is being displayed.
They changed P3D internally and now photoscenery has to be made in a slightly other way. No developer is using that way...

Why LM is not bringing back the former way photoscenery is being displayed I do not know.
Hopefully the new True Earth series from Orbx can make LM look into it again...
bobr

Post by bobr »

Saldo, that's unfortunate to hear, but is this a new issue unique to version 4.2? In searching for a solution it seems that people have been dealing with this since 4.0.

As I've stated already, the photo terrain in certain OrbX areas was displaying just fine in 4.1 and now it is not. Beyond that, I absolutely have to use texture_size_exp=10 in my config file just to get default or OrbX global textures to show clearly. I did not have to add this tweak in 4.1. There appears to be a bug, at least for some users, when it comes to displaying terrain textures properly at all, not just photo scenery, and it needs to be addressed. There's been way too much time and money invested in this sim only to have low resolution textures displaying like a game from the 90s.
P3D5.1
Sethos

Post by Sethos »

Believe it happened in the 4.x transition and it's such a shame, because now we finally have all the texture based terrain looking somewhat crisp and suddenly, all that beautiful photoscenery included in third-party airports, regions etc. has just taken a dive off a cliff in terms of visuals. Someone else mentioned you had some .cfg tweaks that could improve it but those weren't working in 4.x for some reason.

So I hope LM will look into this at some point.