ATC window greyed and not active

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
eke2000

ATC window greyed and not active

Post by eke2000 »

Hi
I also have not workable ATC after 4.2 Client and Content install. I've been working on this problem for 2 days and dozens of times reinstalling/uninstalling Client and Content and deleted all the AppData, ProgramData files, and let Prepar3D rebuild them. But when I put my (backup 3.4.1) scenery.cfg, then again ATC not working.i have over 500+ in Scenery Library and mostly shareware scenery addons and I don`t want to lose them.
It happens with default plane and with default flight (I also tried exchange airplane and location but no progress)
I can understand if some Addons not working with 4.2 version but now P3D4.2 doesn`t work by itself. I have tried to find myself,what specific scenery addons causes that ATC freezeng (deleted and added the new ones one by one) but no solution. At some time, ATC is once active again,then after a PC restart ATC again greyed and not active (with same settings)- I also read previous posts in this forum from ATC greyed but I've tried all these suggestions and they will not help.

I can`t understand, one user writes :
deleted just the missionpanel.cfg let it be regenerated by P3D installer
- missionpanel.cfg located in P3/Gauges folder and when it deleted, then you can not see at all ATC window and it will not be rebuilt by P3/Client/Content installer?
What to do now?
sw34669

Re: ATC window greyed and not active

Post by sw34669 »

I had this earlier it drove me mad. Its the default flight that causes it

here is what I did

1) shut down p3d
2) edit the prepar.cfg file in app data/roaming and remove any loading of a 4.1 default situation
3) now start p3d and select the f22, update the time and date to now and pick an airport
4) click on save and save it as something like current and tick DEFAULT
5) exit out and re-start
6) load that new situation all should be well

The issue is a 4.1 default file being loaded
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Does updating the client and running the "Delete Generated Files" shortcut also solve this issue?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
skmcconnell361

v4.2 unable to use ATC

Post by skmcconnell361 »

When I bring up the ATC menu, all options are greyed out and cannot select any options or communicate with ATC.
P3DV4.2
Aerosoft Twin Otter (same problem with the defalut f35 at the langly afb)
Brad Shiver
Lockheed Martin

Re: v4.2 unable to use ATC

Post by Brad Shiver »

Have you tried deleting your generated files as described in the general debugging steps? You can find them here: https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=123246

-Brad
sw34669

Post by sw34669 »

Brad Shiver wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:32 pm Have you tried deleting your generated files as described in the general debugging steps? You can find them here: https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=123246

-Brad
i can confirm its the previous version default flight - have a look at a few other threads I commented on

start up p3d into the initial menu and create a new scenario, go save that and make it the new default and all should be well

also get rid of c:\users\YourUserName\Application Data\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d V4\Prepar_DefaultFlight.fxml its this from 4.1 that is causing the issue. I lost 2 hours today to this issue !
sw34669

Post by sw34669 »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:43 pm Does updating the client and running the "Delete Generated Files" shortcut also solve this issue?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
It did and it didn't thats the strange thing
when i moved from 4.1 to 4.2 i blew away all the advised files but somehow that previously cached default flight came back. I fixed this a few days ago and oddly today when I reloaded yesterdays scenario @ EHAM the grey ATC window of doom was back. What I noticed was that the default flight had gone from my custom selection, back to that application data prepar3d v4 default flight.fxml file. I will keep an eye and see if this comes back. It will then get the Basil Fawlty THRASHING with a branch.

I have a filesystem watch on these files to see if anything happens to them again in the background and will let you know.

I am going to have a play with 4.2 VR with my vive tomorrow
sw34669

Post by sw34669 »

sw34669 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:50 am
Rob McCarthy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:43 pm Does updating the client and running the "Delete Generated Files" shortcut also solve this issue?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
It did and it didn't thats the strange thing
when i moved from 4.1 to 4.2 i blew away all the advised files but somehow that previously cached default flight came back. I fixed this a few days ago and oddly today when I reloaded yesterdays scenario @ EHAM the grey ATC window of doom was back. What I noticed was that the default flight had gone from my custom selection, back to that application data prepar3d v4 default flight.fxml file. I will keep an eye and see if this comes back. It will then get the Basil Fawlty THRASHING with a branch.

I have a filesystem watch on these files to see if anything happens to them again in the background and will let you know.

I am going to have a play with 4.2 VR with my vive tomorrow
Ok I can confirm when I loaded my situation from yesterday the ATC window is again is greyed out and that is with all files regenerated. Even the default flight in Application Data\..... got regenerated for 4.2

This is for sure a bug that wasnt in 4.1 as im seeing it every day.

I will try and re-load and save default flights a few times to see if that clears it.

When I see this problem, all saved flights from 4.2 exhibit it. When I clear the problem, all those saved flights load with ATC working.

thanks
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Can you post detailed reproduction steps for this issue including settings, how long it takes for the issue to appear, any add-ons used, etc?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Just for info:

I just upgraded Client and Content to P3Dv4.2.

No ATC problems.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
sw34669

Post by sw34669 »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:51 pm Can you post detailed reproduction steps for this issue including settings, how long it takes for the issue to appear, any add-ons used, etc?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob

It seems to be after I save a scenario at night, on re-load the next day ATC is gone.

As soon as I start changing my default scenario this seems to clear it. This is the 3rd day ive seen this so im no sure the steps to produce, other than save scenario at end of flight and re-load it the next day. I then need to exit the sim, re-start, create a new scenario, save this new scenario and set it as default, exit out the sim and re-start . ATC is back at this point. I thought it was appdata\local\lm\p3dv4\p3ddefault.fxml from 4.1 but I blew that away yesterday and 4.2 re-generated it.

When I get this issue the only way ive found of clearing it is to save a new scenario, set it as default and then re-start the sim. Its something being saved that its not liking on re-load and yes ive blown away *all* pre-4.2 fxml and .wx files.

Question for you : when this happens again what can I collect or look at prior to clearing it to investigate further.

thanks
scott.
sw34669

Post by sw34669 »

sw34669 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:29 pm
Rob McCarthy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:51 pm Can you post detailed reproduction steps for this issue including settings, how long it takes for the issue to appear, any add-ons used, etc?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob

It seems to be after I save a scenario at night, on re-load the next day ATC is gone.

As soon as I start changing my default scenario this seems to clear it. This is the 3rd day ive seen this so im no sure the steps to produce, other than save scenario at end of flight and re-load it the next day. I then need to exit the sim, re-start, create a new scenario, save this new scenario and set it as default, exit out the sim and re-start . ATC is back at this point. I thought it was appdata\local\lm\p3dv4\p3ddefault.fxml from 4.1 but I blew that away yesterday and 4.2 re-generated it.

When I get this issue the only way ive found of clearing it is to save a new scenario, set it as default and then re-start the sim. Its something being saved that its not liking on re-load and yes ive blown away *all* pre-4.2 fxml and .wx files.

Question for you : when this happens again what can I collect or look at prior to clearing it to investigate further.

thanks
scott.
Ok - it did it again this evening. Here's what I did

Finished flight to Glasgow and saved called it atgla
Exited out sim
reloaded sim, loaded up atgla, ATC working
exited out and re-loded a second time just to check, ATC working

After dinner, I fired up steamVR, the sim, played around for an hour, changed a few settings (trees, lighting, removed some scenery) ... all was well. I have saved no further flights.

Exited out sim and turned off VR headset. Restarted and re-load atgla ..... grey ATC window of death.
thetford569

Post by thetford569 »

I am experiencing the same. Saved a flight yesterday after landing at the airport so I could resume from the same parking spot and save my panel state. I loaded that same flight again today and the ATC window is grey and doesn't allow me to choose any options. I thought as you did that it was from flights saved with 4.1 but I saved this one in 4.2 and it did not work. The default flight I had created with 4.2 also doesn't work when I try to load it.

The only way to get ATC back is as you stated to start with the default Lockheed P3D flight in the F22 at VPS and then save a new flight as default. If you save a flight again after that to save your parking position at a new place it will revert to a grey ATC window. Seems like a bug to me!

Brandon
ppo

Post by ppo »

Same thing here. ATC Window greyed out. No action possible in that window.
Full install of v4.2.21
Never happened in 4.1
Definitely a bug there.
Trying to trace the action for the bug.
Cheers
Pierre
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

ppo wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:41 pm Same thing here. ATC Window greyed out. No action possible in that window.
Full install of v4.2.21
Never happened in 4.1
Definitely a bug there.
Trying to trace the action for the bug.
Cheers
Pierre
After saving a flight and exiting P3D
Do you reboot PC ? ..
then start P3D and load the save flight and test.

I just tested again and all ok using default setup / aircraft.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)