[RESOLVED] VR Issues with 4.2

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
paphibbs

[RESOLVED] VR Issues with 4.2

Post by paphibbs »

Using Rift and Win10. Successfully upgraded to 4.1 earlier and on upgrading to 4.2 when selecting VR view from the menu Nothing appears in the Headset but on the monitor a new view is displayed (single image).

Uninstalled the three components and used the MSI files to reinstall each. After having no luck I ran the setup file to install over the top of my installation. P3d works correctly for monitor use but can't us VR functionality.

Any thoughts on how I should proceed? I have a lot of Orbx scenery and want to avoid having to download it all again.

Regards, Paul
Kayla Dillon

Re: VR Issues with 4.2

Post by Kayla Dillon »

Hello,

Have you gone through the general debugging steps?
http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=123246

Regards,
Kayla
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
paphibbs

Post by paphibbs »

Just read through the debugging exercise and apart from stripping back P3d to the base install, I’m satisfied with the other areas suggested.

My system:

Win10 64bit Home Edition
Proc: I7 6700 GPU: GTX1060
Drives: 256gb SSD and 2tb HDD (dedicated partition to P3d
Peripherals: Saitek Cessna Yoke Throttle and Pedals, TrackIR, GoPro MCP Pro and GP45, Aviation Headset interface and Oculus Rift (it should be noted that all the perimeter all and add-ons worked well with the previous upgrade to 4.1)
Add Ons: AS16 (note a beta version is available as V4.2 doesn’t support the current version), Huge number of Orbx scenery add-ons, a number of Carenado aircraft and a few from other manufacturers.

History of my upgrade process:

1. I initially ran the setup.exe file to apply the upgrade. I noted that the mouse cursor in VR didn’t appear any better than in V4.1 and after reviewing the forums, I noted comments about uninstalling and re-installing the MSI files for Client, Content and Scenery.
2. Fortunately, I use a backup tool to manage successful changes to my computer, and was able to go back to V4.1. Therefore after testing V4.1 to ensure it worked OK, I applied each of the three components as outlined in the setup instructions.
3. I noticed that VR no longer worked. When you selected the VR View, in stead of it activating the headset and turning into the two displays on the monitor, it changed to one display and nothing appeared in the headset. I was in the Oculus room for selecting games to run. Note: in V4.1 I could choose between using the Oculus software or SteamVR, to use P3d in VR.
4. Another problem I noticed is that after running the scenery msi, the scenery in my test location (around Miami) had a combination of day and night textures.

So today, I’ll revert back to V4.1 and await your suggestions for moving forward.

Regards, Paul
BG2518

Post by BG2518 »

Try to go back to 4.1 and apply ONLY the client.msi
paphibbs

Post by paphibbs »

Did exactly this last time, I.e., first uninstalled the client component then just installed the MSI for the client. Tested but found VR didn’t work. It was later on that I decided to install the other two components. It’s strange, going back to V4.1 and all of a sudden the application is identified as VR ready, in that SteamVR automatically loads on loading P3D and VR works with either SteamVR or the Oculus software.

Once I run the Client.MSI VR stops working. When you select the View for VR, a slightly magnified view of the cockpit displays on the monitor (one display) and nothing changes in the headset, I.e., you are still in the Oculus or Steam launch environment.

Regards, Paul
Kayla Dillon

Post by Kayla Dillon »

Hello all,

Are you experiencing this issue without any addons installed? It is possible that not all addons are compatible with 4.2 yet as it is a new release.

Regards,
Kayla
paphibbs

Post by paphibbs »

I’ve tested with just launching P3d. After installing the Client.msi, in monitor 2D mode, the sim works fine. The only issue is with VR. I originally discovered AS16 didn’t work and checked with the developers to learn a beta version is available to support 4.2. I haven’t obtained it yet as I wanted to get P3d working first.

My testing has been done solely with the Carenado B58 aircraft and a generic P3d airport around the Miami area. I have Orbx scenery such as Global and Vector products. As mentioned, non VR operation is perfect. Aircraft and scenery look fine with great performance.

My VR setup is operating OK as rolling back to V4.1 allows me to fly VR.

Regards, Paul
paphibbs

Post by paphibbs »

From a stable 4.1 environment, were everything works as expected, I just uninstalled the Client MSI, installed the 4.2 Client MSI. Then deleted the Prepar3D.cfg along with the Shaders folder. Rebooted the PC and loaded P3d.

Checked the version - 4.2.21.24048

2D operation is as expected.
VR when selected doesn’t impact the headset and instead of two displays, you get a single slightly magnified view from the typical Virtual cockpit view.

Regards, Paul
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

What did you mean by "Select the VR View?" VR was tied to specific views in 4.0 and v3.x, but in 4.1 and 4.2, VR is enabled using the Virtual Reality menu. Are you enabling VR via this menu? After enabling, do you see the VR options show up in the VR menu (display mode, recalibrate, etc). If the menu still has options to enable VR, then it likely tried to enter VR and something went wrong. Typically you should see an alert pop up with an error in this case. Have you seen any of these? If you have SteamVR installed, you may notice there is a new option to enable SteamVR, but you should not choose that option for Oculus. Oculus isn't working properly via the SteamVR interface currently. We display an alert if you try to enable SteamVR using an Oculus headset.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
paphibbs

Post by paphibbs »

I have been successfully using the Oculus Headset with V4.1. I noted that with the Oculus software, the mouse pointer is less than dependable but sort of works, however has many issues if I use SteamVR as the connector for the headset. Both will run a VR session in the headset though.

I select a VR session using the View menu in P3d. View/Change View/Virtual Reality/VR Virtual Cockpit. This works in V4.1 but in V4.2 it doesn’t trigger the display in the headset and you don’t see the dual image on the monitor. As for additional options, if they are new, I probably can’t see them due to it not working.

Regards, Paul
Kayla Dillon

Post by Kayla Dillon »

paphibbs wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:33 am I have been successfully using the Oculus Headset with V4.1. I noted that with the Oculus software, the mouse pointer is less than dependable but sort of works, however has many issues if I use SteamVR as the connector for the headset. Both will run a VR session in the headset though.

I select a VR session using the View menu in P3d. View/Change View/Virtual Reality/VR Virtual Cockpit. This works in V4.1 but in V4.2 it doesn’t trigger the display in the headset and you don’t see the dual image on the monitor. As for additional options, if they are new, I probably can’t see them due to it not working.

Regards, Paul
Hello,

We changed the way Virtual Reality is enabled in 4.0. Here's our SDK documentation:
https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d ... ality.html

Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Kayla
paphibbs

Post by paphibbs »

GOOD NEWS! After reading your document on VR with V4.1 and 2 it became apparent to me that my V4.1 wasn’t behaving as you outlined. I was able to use VR however V4.1 wasn’t installed correctly. For a start, I didn’t have the Virtual Reality menu option on the top level menu. Mind you, I was able to access VR via the View Menu. I also noted the [STARTUP] section in the Prepar3D.cfg file didn’t contain any VR statements. SOMETHING WAS DREADFULLY WRONG.

Anyway, I ran the setup.exe file over the top of my existing version, deleted the Prepar3D.cfg and Shaders folder and loaded P3d. The version was correct. The Virtual Reality option was in the top level menu. I was able to select the Oculus Rift as my Headset.

Immediately, I had VR working with a much improved mouse cursor (unlike the crosshairs) this ball was easy to place on objects and interact with them. THANKYOU!

Mind you, my Orbx scenery was “stuffed”, I.e., I had a mixture of day and night textures. I’m now reinstalling the scenery and will continue to test.

Thank you for your input into this issue. I’m so satisfied to have a working environment that I can properly use now. I’m looking forward to bring the scenery up to what I have in FSX and continuing my migration to this 64bit platform.

All the best,

Paul