Prepar3D will not load oculus rift

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
kennethroy

Prepar3D will not load oculus rift

Post by kennethroy »

when I open oculus rift and then open prepar 3d the prepar3d will show up on the computer screen but will not load onto oculus rift. when looking thru the headset the dialog box says""having trouble loading prepar3d exe, take off your headset and check the app.

my question is: check what??
Kayla Dillon

Re: Prepar3D will not load oculus rift

Post by Kayla Dillon »

Hello,

Have you enabled VR in Prepar3D by selecting Virtual Reality -> Enable Virtual Reality?

Is your Oculus set to allow 3rd party apps?

Regards,
Kayla
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
kennethroy

Post by kennethroy »

Kayla

I did have it working fine but had a crash and had to reinstall everything

please educate me about enable VR on Prepar3D

thank you in advance
Turbine777

Post by Turbine777 »

Kayla's question is an important one. Because it will better tell which issue you are having.

"Have you enabled VR in Prepar3D by selecting Virtual Reality -> Enable Virtual Reality?"

A more direct question is do you see "Virtual Reality" as a choice on the top of the screen on your menu?

If not then you can manually add it to your Prepar3D.cfg. It goes under the "[STARTUP]" section and should look like this:

Code: Select all

LoadVirtualReality=1

Code: Select all

EnableVirtualRealityOnStartup=0
The first line will add it to your menu. I had an issue once (not sure why) that I had to manually add it to the cfg to see it and once I did it was fine.
The second line is if you want p3d to start up in VR. I would say no is the better option which is why mine is =0. If you want it to start in VR, change the 0 to a 1.

Now the other issue that I know of for the Oculus not working for p3d is one that has happened to me a couple of times and is because of the video driver. Although Nvidia state they support the Oculus Rift (and even made programs for it), their drivers that actually allow it to work are scarce. The only driver I have used with 100% success to avoid the black screen and get the Oculus to work is 381.89 (win10-64bit). Also be sure windows update doesn't have permission to update your hardware drivers or be prepared to keep manually fixing them.

Last to note and possibly the answer to your error that you're seeing is don't launch P3d from the Oculus app. There's no need to even have the Oculus software running. I prefer not to have it running when simming or doing anything in VR for that matter that I don't need to run the Oculus app.

Hope this helps.
Dan
kennethroy

Post by kennethroy »

thanks Dan Ill give it a shot