Win 10 KB4038788 Update crashes my P3D v3

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Kees Duijzer

Re: KB4038788 crashes my P3D v3

Post by Kees Duijzer »

Hallo,

I had also the same problem. After unistalling KB4038788 everything is running fine again. But who is going to bring the solution?
corvettepilot

Post by corvettepilot »

I have deleted KB4038788 and it still crashes.
Very frustrating issue, I haven't been able to use my sim in over 2 weeks and I have a feeling that Microsoft will never fix this issue :(
gerodcray

Post by gerodcray »

Hello,
It's great to fly again with P3Dv3 even if we need to start with a flight plan. Thank you for the idea.
Best regards
gerodcray
MB ASUS TUF Z390, core i9 9900KF, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3070 8 GB, SSD 1 TB, HDD 2 TB
P3Dv5, XP11, AFS2, MSFS
sincedric

Post by sincedric »

The "show & hide" program does not show KB4038788 anymore, instead it only shows the KB4040724. However even if I disable KB4040724, KB4038788 would still install. Meaning I am no longer able to prevent the update from installing. Any alternative way to stop it?
malexdu

Post by malexdu »

Hi Rob McCarthy,

Thanks for your recent update...Can you provide a further update on progress made? In addition please confirm LM is looking for a solution for both P3D v4 and v3.4

Regards
72westy

Post by 72westy »

sincedric wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:03 pm The "show & hide" program does not show KB4038788 anymore, instead it only shows the KB4040724. However even if I disable KB4040724, KB4038788 would still install. Meaning I am no longer able to prevent the update from installing. Any alternative way to stop it?

Open 'Services' and the scroll down the 'Windows Update' then set it to 'Disabled'.

Once MS fixes the issue you can then go back and set it to your previous default setting.
Windows10Pro 22H2 Build 19045.2728/Corei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/GSkill32GBDDR3CL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070 OC/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayDL/RosewillChallengerTower/CorsairRM750w/X56HOTAS/InateckKU5211/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2
bhorv67

Post by bhorv67 »

Guys - please be patient. LM has said they're working with Microsoft on a fix.

This is Microsoft, so it will take a while.
Win 11 22H2/ Asus TUF Z790 wifi d4/i9 13900k/Corsair H150i Elite LCD/32G GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3200/Corsair 1000w psu / EVGA FTW3 RTX3080ti/ASUS VG289Q Display/1T Evo 990 NVMe m.2 (Win)/ 2T 980 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 (p3d 5.3) / Logitech Z5500 /K70 &Glave
robwin

Post by robwin »

Guys...For those of you still struggling to get p3dv3 to work after the windows update try this.

At the start up screen, create a flight plan instead of loading your default flight or a previously created scenario. When the sim loads you can carry on as normal. This method has worked for me on two machines and at least two others. You do not have to mess with windows update or deactivate anything.

It's not ideal but at least you will be flying again until there is a fix

Regards Rob
BoeingG

Post by BoeingG »

I have an idea.

Today I was doing an across the pond flight having uninstalled the KB... update so that my sim would work. About 7 hours or so in it crashed. When I opened Event Viewer it said "ntdll.dll error," so I located the file location and discovered permissions had been changed despite me previously setting them to match the required authorization levels.

Could it be that after updating that these permissions are reset and that's what's causing the problem?

Someone else test out my theory because I'm too lazy AT YOUR OWN RIIIIIIIIIIIISK!:

1. Uninstall the update causing the issue after turning off Windows update service
2. Restart PC and go to ntdll.dll, right click, security, properties
3. See if your permissions are still there.
4. Reporto backto

I thought I had previously read someone say something about ntdll.dll on this thread, so...yeah.

If this doesn't work then UGH.
Regards,

Greg Caesar
Robau

Post by Robau »

After being banned from the forum by our learned administrators I have been experimenting to find an easy way to be able to use the sim without to much hassle until this fiasco is sorted.

Firstly I did not reinstall the sim, left it as is and all Microsoft updates are still running.
As per previous suggestions by our colleagues I have tried them all, with some success for a few flights, then CTD, but all comments and ideas are appreciated.

I would like to mention that I only fly three aircraft yes on my sim, one being Manfred Jahn's fantastic freeware C-47 v3 and two payware aircraft, the PMDG Boeing 737-800 and TFDI Boeing 717, both so called studie level complex aircraft that takes a lot of programming for a flight and much button pushing and dial twisting if you like to fly them as accurately as possible as I myself do.

What I am about to say works for me every time with perfect flights and may help some others to achieve the same.

I now have a bland P3D sim, removed was all my Orbx and REX addons, which were many, so all that is left is the three aircraft addons as above.

If I wish to fly my B737 or B717 from point A to point B, here is my procedure.

Fire up the sim, select aircraft to the MJ C-47, select your departure airport and gate, let it load. No need to go to the SouthPole first.
Once loaded go to your top menu bar and from the vehicle tab select the aircraft you wish to fly from the drop down.
Your selected aircraft will then load at the airport and gate where you loaded your C-47 and for me you are good to GO with no CTD during your flight.

This procedure is quick and easy and hope it helps others.
ScottG

Post by ScottG »

Hi, for what it's worth I thought I would throw in my few cents. Very quickly, I'm using P3D V3.4 and had the same CTD issues. I have very few addons, ORBX Global Base Pack, PMDG 747 QOTSII and Aerosofts Twin Otter Extended. I was presented with a box saying "Prepar3D exe has stopped working". Through trial and error I discovered that the simulator would only crash if I tried to start a flight using, or change my aircraft to, the PMDG 747. Aside from this all other stock aircraft, including the Aerosoft Twin Otter all worked. I also use the Oculus Rift CV1, the same applied using the simulator in VR or on my desktop. I unistalled KB4038788 and this fixed the problem, I successfully completed a few flights with the PMDG 747 QOTS II in VR with no issues.

Since I use my computer for other online services as well as flying for a VA that uses an online PIREP system, I am reluctant to go online without the latest Windows updates. I have thus installed the latest Windows updates in an effort to try some of the other mentioned ways around the CTD. I have found that starting a flight in the South Pole and also creating a flight plan have both worked (kudos to Rob and the others who figured it out). What I will say though is firstly it only works if I load the simulator onto my desktop, I still get CTD if I try these methods whilst using VR / FlyInside. Secondly I have only spent about 5 minutes trying the work-arounds and have not yet completed any extensive flights. Hope this information helps.

Scott
Robau

Post by Robau »

I have noticed since this problem started, it may be just peculiar to my system or is there a clue here.

I can load any P3D v3 freeware aircraft, not that there are many , straight to the airport and gate I wish to fly from without any CTD.
Try loading a payware such as PMDG etc then CTD at the end of loading, is there some sort of clue here ?
AllanR

Re: Problem With Starting P3Dv4

Post by AllanR »

Hi All. Like many others, according to the forums, I was having problems starting P3D v4 after updating windows 10 to the latest version(1705). It appeared that there may be a problem with the TC/IP settings and I spent some time researching this, however, I looked at the installed aircraft to see if they were still in my "Programme" list and the PMDG aircraft which I mostly fly were not there. While I do not know why they had been dropped off I re downloaded and installed them and P3D v4 started and ran normally with all the add-on's I have such as ORBX, Avilasoft EFB, MyTraffic, Active Sky and PF3 air traffic control. I hope this helps some others.
AllanR
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Post's merged Into this Topic
Robau

Post by Robau »

Never had any problems like yours AllanR although I am still running 3.4 which was purchased only 12 months ago, so it will be some time till I update to V4.

What intrigues me about all this, is that you can load a freeware aircraft, even an FSX one into P3D, select the aircraft you wish to fly, departure airport, gate, weather and time of day and all works fine, no problems at all.

Do the same with your PMDG, TFDi etc aircraft and it is CTD upon loading, anyone have any clues as to why this is so ?