P3D v3 and v4 stutters

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
samwheeler

P3D v3 and v4 stutters

Post by samwheeler »

Hi everyone,

For the past three-four weeks I have had outrageous stutters in my sim. In both v4 and v3. I have done everything from deleting my CFG, to reinstalling Windows and getting a replacement CPU. Nothing seems to work. It is this quick little stutter every 2-3 seconds. The only thing that seems to HELP is setting an affinity mask of 84 in my CFG. Any help would be helpful.
markm75

Re: P3D v3 and v4 stutters

Post by markm75 »

Hey there.. i've had the same issues with v4 as well.. i was able to get most of mine cured but it was painful and there are still some there.. i think its mainly due to areas that fall below the refresh rate of the monitor.. ie: sim at 35 or 45 fps and the refresh at 60 even with vsync on.

I assume you've tried using a "clean" scenery.cfg and testing an area in plain vanilla install format first?

I also found that some scenery.cfg entries caused me stutter (IE: Night Enviroment is one, in the daytime).

In my sim currently i'm not using any tweaks in the cfg file and things are mostly good...

I think there is also a long standing bug that LM might be working on related to this and slow loading textures.
Tech, the Universe, Everything www.tech-stew.com
Just Plane Crazy www.flight-stew.com
samwheeler

Post by samwheeler »

markm75 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:15 pm Hey there.. i've had the same issues with v4 as well.. i was able to get most of mine cured but it was painful and there are still some there.. i think its mainly due to areas that fall below the refresh rate of the monitor.. ie: sim at 35 or 45 fps and the refresh at 60 even with vsync on.

I assume you've tried using a "clean" scenery.cfg and testing an area in plain vanilla install format first?

I also found that some scenery.cfg entries caused me stutter (IE: Night Enviroment is one, in the daytime).

In my sim currently i'm not using any tweaks in the cfg file and things are mostly good...

I think there is also a long standing bug that LM might be working on related to this and slow loading textures.
Hi there,

I had these both in v3 and V4. I did try a clean CFG, obviously after a reinstall. I HIGHLY doubt this is hardware, every other game/sim I use works fine. My monitor is 60hz, as well. I have no clue what to do at this point. :/
markm75

Post by markm75 »

What are the full specs on your system and for your monitor?

I assume you've tried lowering sliders back to defaults and testing for that 2-3 sec pause and tried vsync?

Every 2-3 seconds is definitely not the norm, despite this being a common issue.

Have you tried a different hard drive, in case of some sort of hard drive issue? (or used something like hdtune or one of the vendor tools to see if there are an smart errors on the hard drive)?
samwheeler

Post by samwheeler »

markm75 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:58 pm What are the full specs on your system and for your monitor?

I assume you've tried lowering sliders back to defaults and testing for that 2-3 sec pause and tried vsync?

Every 2-3 seconds is definitely not the norm, despite this being a common issue.

Have you tried a different hard drive, in case of some sort of hard drive issue? (or used something like hdtune or one of the vendor tools to see if there are an smart errors on the hard drive)?
Thanks for the reply,

Specs:
ASUS Prime-A Z270 Motherboard
Intel Core i5 7600k @ 4.2ghz
Corsair DDR4 16GB RAM
ASUS STRIX 1060 6GB
1TB WD Blue HDD
250GB WD Blue SSD

And it is just an Acer monitor, HDMI and 60HZ. Second monitor is also Acer but DVI to HDMI, unplugging the second one didn't change anything though.

I tried using VSYNC and lowering settings, yep.

I ran HDTune and everything came back fine.
markm75

Post by markm75 »

samwheeler wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:11 am
markm75 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:58 pm What are the full specs on your system and for your monitor?

Thanks for the reply,

Specs:
Corsair DDR4 16GB RAM
ASUS STRIX 1060 6GB
1TB WD Blue HDD
250GB WD Blue SSD

And it is just an Acer monitor, HDMI and 60HZ. Second monitor is also Acer but DVI to HDMI, unplugging the second one didn't change anything though.

So everything was fine with v3 and v4 up to a point then? If so.. did anything change/install on your system since then (visible in installed programs sorted by date maybe)?

When the problem occurs have you tried opening task manager.. details.. sort by cpu.. see if prepar3d.exe is the only one sucking up cpu resources while you are testing (move to another screen if possible to monitor).. if you see something creeping in there even at 5% it can cause issues.. it has for me.. in my case the wmi provider exe gave me grief till i realized the oculus tray tool was causing a spike of 5-10%.

Specs wise, i'd say you look ok, not sure on the i5 in general, but the clock speed is decent enough at 4.2. Sounds like you didnt have this issue before

**also.. if you run with vsync on, if you arent aware, i think its been said the best setting is to leave the sim unlimited.

Other things.. tried an nvidia reinstall with the "clean" option in case something has changed?
samwheeler

Post by samwheeler »

markm75 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:42 pm
samwheeler wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:11 am

Thanks for the reply,

Specs:
Corsair DDR4 16GB RAM
ASUS STRIX 1060 6GB
1TB WD Blue HDD
250GB WD Blue SSD

So everything was fine with v3 and v4 up to a point then? If so.. did anything change/install on your system since then (visible in installed programs sorted by date maybe)?

When the problem occurs have you tried opening task manager.. details.. sort by cpu.. see if prepar3d.exe is the only one sucking up cpu resources while you are testing (move to another screen if possible to monitor).. if you see something creeping in there even at 5% it can cause issues.. it has for me.. in my case the wmi provider exe gave me grief till i realized the oculus tray tool was causing a spike of 5-10%.

Specs wise, i'd say you look ok, not sure on the i5 in general, but the clock speed is decent enough at 4.2. Sounds like you didnt have this issue before

**also.. if you run with vsync on, if you arent aware, i think its been said the best setting is to leave the sim unlimited.

Other things.. tried an nvidia reinstall with the "clean" option in case something has changed?
Hi Mark, thanks for the reply.

As I said, I have done a full Windows reinstall, and it was happening with little to non programs installed. I have tried Drivers constantly and nothing, CPU is around 50-70% 50 max on the ground, 70 in the air.
cfelix

Post by cfelix »

Do you have Navigraph's Simlink app installed. If so you can try uninstalling it (you may have to remove an entry in the xml file). I was on of several users who had terrible shuddering problems when it first came out and I'm not sure if they have fixed the problem.
samwheeler

Post by samwheeler »

cfelix wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:05 pm Do you have Navigraph's Simlink app installed. If so you can try uninstalling it (you may have to remove an entry in the xml file). I was on of several users who had terrible shuddering problems when it first came out and I'm not sure if they have fixed the problem.
Hi there, I do not have it installed. I heard of those issues but never installed it.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

samwheeler,

Do you do videos?

Do you have / use antivirus / antispamware or other types?

Have you downloaded any programs that could have installed unknown software or Apps without you knowing about it?
Last edited by Martyson on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
samwheeler

Post by samwheeler »

Martyson wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:05 pm samwheeler,

Do you do videos?

Hi,
I’m not sure what you mean by “Do you do videos?” I don’t use any third party AV, only Denfender which I have added P3D to the exclusion list AND disabled it to try it. Still the same.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

samwheeler wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:07 pm

Do you do videos?

Hi,
I’m not sure what you mean by “Do you do videos?” I don’t use any third party AV, only Denfender which I have added P3D to the exclusion list AND disabled it to try it. Still the same.
I seen a video by samwheeler some time ago.

Anyway, a short video sometimes helps.

Do you see it in all modes of flight and with default aircraft?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
samwheeler

Post by samwheeler »

Martyson wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:11 pm
samwheeler wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:07 pm

Do you do videos?

Hi,
I seen a video by samwheeler some time ago.

Anyway, a short video sometimes helps.

Do you see it in all modes of flight and with default aircraft?
Oh yeah, I am a Twitch Streamer but I haven’t been doing that for ages due to this issue. I can upload the stuttering to YouTube sometime over the weekend, as my internet is down atm. It happens in all a/c
samwheeler

Post by samwheeler »

Here is a video of it: https://youtu.be/fn3kf9nd_Bg

It doesn't seem to show on the video compared to what I see though.
Galenki

Post by Galenki »

Are you using Chaseplane?