P3D V4 CTD - ai_player.dll

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Itay Gross

P3D V4 CTD - ai_player.dll

Post by Itay Gross »

Hello guys,
at the last time I have ai_player.dll CTD, all sceneries are compatible with V4. that's the log that I'm getting at the event viewer:
Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.0.28.21686, time stamp: 0x594a7255
Faulting module name: ai_player.dll, version: 4.0.28.21686, time stamp: 0x594a7254
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000004d4f9
Faulting process id: 0xf6c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d317830dd8389c
Faulting application path: D:\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Prepar3D v4\ai_player.dll
Report Id: f3cc9633-1198-472e-b918-54e552e1b24a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
There's anybody who knows what is causing this CTD error?
Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Itay
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: P3D V4 CTD

Post by Rob McCarthy »

We have seen similar reports and are currently working a fix for this issue. If you can provide additional information that would help as well. What add-ons do you have installed? Do you only see this in certain aircraft or at certain locations?

Also if you have Visual Studio 2015 installed, an option would be to provide a crash dump to us.

When Prepar3D crashes, the option to debug through Visual Studio should appear. Attach to the Prepar3D process and then go to Debug --> Save Dump As to save the memory dump. Feel free to upload that dump to Dropbox or some other file server and PM me a link. Make sure you provide the full version number with each dump.

More details here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d5zhxt22.aspx

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
downscc

Post by downscc »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:40 pm We have seen similar reports and are currently working a fix for this issue. If you can provide additional information that would help as well. What add-ons do you have installed? Do you only see this in certain aircraft or at certain locations?

Also if you have Visual Studio 2015 installed, an option would be to provide a crash dump to us.

When Prepar3D crashes, the option to debug through Visual Studio should appear. Attach to the Prepar3D process and then go to Debug --> Save Dump As to save the memory dump. Feel free to upload that dump to Dropbox or some other file server and PM me a link. Make sure you provide the full version number with each dump.

More details here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d5zhxt22.aspx

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
I need help with this Rob, I am familiar with VS2015 at the amateur level creating c# applications. However, the link you provided provides instructions for debugging a executable and creating a dump file at a breakpoint or exception. However, we use P3D with the minimum of other applications running and it's hard to imagine that what the instructions are implying is that we should use VS2015 to load and run P3D. This is where I need help. Do we load P3D with VS2015? Do we have to create new projects? Are there Microsoft instructions for using VS2015 to debug executables created by other publishers? Thanks, I know I am revealing my total lack of knowledge but if I get pointed in the right direction I'll figure it out.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Dan,

You won't need to start Prepar3D any differently than normal or create any new projects. If a crash occurs and you have Visual Studio installed a pop-up should show that gives you the option to debug the crash. If you click debug than a new instance of Visual Studio will launch with execution stopped at that location. From there you can save a dump file as described in the msdn instructions.

When you send the dump file to us we can use it to pinpoint the exact line in code where the issue occurred. Depending on the issue it could still take some time to fix, but this can help us diagnose crash issues much faster than attempting to reproduce specific conditions in most cases. As always more information helps. This combined with detailed reproduction steps as well as if any add-ons are installed will help us a great deal.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
downscc

Re: P3D V4 CTD - ai_player.dll

Post by downscc »

Thank you sir, I have VS2015 installed and have used it recently but no popups occur. So now I know to look in my VS2015 configuration for something that may enable that feature. Here we go.
Dan Downs
KCRP
wanthuyr

Post by wanthuyr »

Not really sure if this is going to be of any help, but I just had a P3D crash (v4 latest version) and saw this .DLL in the Event Viewer. I was flying the B-777 of PMDG, FL340 in an wing/engine view created by ChasePlane, took off from Greece (Samos) and was about 40 minutes into the flight when the crash happened. I was flying most to the North, maybe magnetic heading 340 in the direction of Sweden. It was not a direct CTD, P3D stayed frozen with the msgbox reporting an error, with the only button available to Close the application.
Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

wanthuyr wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:35 am Not really sure if this is going to be of any help, but I just had a P3D crash (v4 latest version) and saw this .DLL in the Event Viewer. I was flying the B-777 of PMDG, FL340 in an wing/engine view created by ChasePlane, took off from Greece (Samos) and was about 40 minutes into the flight when the crash happened. I was flying most to the North, maybe magnetic heading 340 in the direction of Sweden. It was not a direct CTD, P3D stayed frozen with the msgbox reporting an error, with the only button available to Close the application.
Chaseplane still in Beta testing?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
wanthuyr

Post by wanthuyr »

It seems it is.
Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho