P3d keeps disappearing

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
CaptainDePaola

P3d keeps disappearing

Post by CaptainDePaola »

So today I woke up and was ready to do a flight after flying just the night before just fine in the sim. When I tired to start my sim I got the usual splash screen and then typically about 7 seconds later it appears to load something then disappears. After looking around I found P3d v4 running normally in the Background Processes section of my task manager leaving me unable to open it and no way to control it. I am left to end Prepar3d v4 in the task manager and come back to it. Ever since it just keeps doing the same thing. I have tried every single piece of advice from restarting my PC, to fixing the registry, to removing every single .cfg in Prepar3d, and deleting the default scenario files and it still will not work. Is anyone able to help with this?
CaptainDePaola

Re: P3d keeps disappearing

Post by CaptainDePaola »

Here is a video of what exactly happens. https://youtu.be/rtOMhb4SknA
mhutton

Post by mhutton »

I have both P3Dv3 and P3Dv4 installed on separate drives and had the exact same issue with P3Dv3. I noticed it kept disappearing while loading scenery. The last scenery package I had installed was FlightBeam KMSP so i uninstalled it and haven't had any problems since.

Not sure why but I have the same scenery installed in V4 and have had no problems.
robpol471

Post by robpol471 »

Did you see in the Windows Event the log that refers to this CTD? Should tell you what causes these CTDs.
bhorv67

Post by bhorv67 »

I just created a post with the same symptoms. I did a flight this morning, had no problems, and tonight, went to launch p3d and get the splash screen for a few seconds, then it disappears. The process is still running in the background, but nothing else happens.
I tried to uninstall and reinstall the client - didn't help.
I tried to have p3d create new folders in prgmdata, appdata roaming, appdata local - didn't help.
I'm using the latest nvidia drivers for my 1080ti, and am on Win10, latest build, fully updated with latest drivers.

Can you tell me a few things and see if we have any of this in common:

- What have you installed on your computer recently: new addons, non-p3d software, etc...
- Any new USB hardware installed? Any issues with any current USB devices (keyboards, mouse, controllers, etc..)
- Do you have the most recent update from Rex for texture direct 4, for p3d v4? - this was released yesterday
- Did you install the beta for ObjectFlow2 from Orbx and join their 'Fastlane' program to get early access to v4 airports?
Win 11 22H2/ Asus TUF Z790 wifi d4/i9 13900k/Corsair H150i Elite LCD/32G GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3200/Corsair 1000w psu / EVGA FTW3 RTX3080ti/ASUS VG289Q Display/1T Evo 990 NVMe m.2 (Win)/ 2T 980 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 (p3d 5.3) / Logitech Z5500 /K70 &Glave
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

This post describes a similar issue and may resolve what you are seeing: viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=126302

Also please try going through our general debugging steps here: viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=123246

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
TheGreenToad

Post by TheGreenToad »

Sounds like it might be the same issue as described here: viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=126368
Regards, Hans
vexing

Post by vexing »

I have the exact same problem. I tried everything in the troubleshooting post and the solutions that has worked for others in the several threads in the forum. Nothing have worked for me so far.
mhutton

Post by mhutton »

mhutton wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:14 am I have both P3Dv3 and P3Dv4 installed on separate drives and had the exact same issue with P3Dv3. I noticed it kept disappearing while loading scenery. The last scenery package I had installed was FlightBeam KMSP so i uninstalled it and haven't had any problems since.

Not sure why but I have the same scenery installed in V4 and have had no problems.

Well I spoke too soon..after deleting FlightBeam's KMSP scenery, P3Dv3.4 loaded correctly. It's now back to disappearing to the background. Problem wasn't the KMSP scenery obviously. Sigh...
tdrane

Post by tdrane »

This may be a little off the wall but could PD3 have received some screen position parameters that puts it out of the viewing area.

Does the taskbar icon show that it is running? (video was a little blurry). If so, can you close the program with the taskbar icon?

I've had this situation occur with other programs. There are some keystrokes that will center the program in the viewing area. Here is a link that might help:
https://www.technipages.com/bring-off-s ... nto-screen
mhutton

Post by mhutton »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:47 pm This post describes a similar issue and may resolve what you are seeing: viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=126302

Also please try going through our general debugging steps here: viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=123246

Regards,
Rob McCarthy

Not sure what the cause of my problem was but going through the debugging steps fixed it for me.