Crash when installing a new scenery (Possible Threshold)

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Brunotx

Crash when installing a new scenery (Possible Threshold)

Post by Brunotx »

Hi,

I migrated from V3 to V4 from the begining and I'm installing my sceneries as the releases come but now, I have a problem.

When a declare a new scenery (wathever it is) P3D v4 crash instantly after clicking on OK on scenario screen.

To bypass this problem I have to remove a scenery from my Scenery Library before installing a new one.

It seems that there is a sort of threshold that limit the number of sceneries...

Any idea?

Regards.
Martyson

Re: Crash when installing a new scenery (Possible Threshold)

Post by Martyson »

"When a declare a new scenery (wathever it is) P3D v4 crash instantly after clicking on OK on scenario screen."

Are you using scenery developed for P3Dv4 and using the scenery developer's installation program?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Brunotx

Post by Brunotx »

Hi,

Yes all sceneries made to V4, some in the Addons folder some in Addon Scenery.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Brunotx wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:06 pm Hi,

Yes all sceneries made to V4, some in the Addons folder some in Addon Scenery.
Which P3Dv4 scenery(s) are you installing .. having problems with?
Best Regards,
Brunotx

Post by Brunotx »

Any scenery I would install...

From a defined point, a have to remove one from library in order to add another.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

"Any idea?"

Check with your scenery providers and you could also try the debugging steps:
http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=123246
Best Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

To help us track this down please list all add-on sceneries you are using as well as your scenery.cfg. Also what is the limit of scenery add-ons before the crash? Are you adding items in the scenery library when this happens?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
ProfessorMadman

Post by ProfessorMadman »

Hi all,

I had exactly this issue yesterday evening and have been fighting to resolve it as it was driving me absolutely bonkers. I found this thread and removed an entry from my scenery.cfg file and it fixed my problem!

Here is some background on the problem. I purchased FSDG's Sharm (HESH) and after installing it suffered an instant CTD without errors when loading up a scenario with PMDG and some default P3D aircraft. I thought it was their scenery but it is not. It appears to be a problem between the scenery.cfg and addon.xml system in P3D v4. Here is a post I drafted for FSDG but didn't post on their forums as I've now solved the issue (see below the quote).

Finally managed to grab the v4 native installer for HESH and installed it into my sim. I'm now facing an issue where I get a reproducible CTD when loading various aircraft (default and 3rd party) using a scenario in P3Dv4. P3D simply exists before the load screen but after clicking on OK after setting up a scenario. I initially thought it was something else so did some troubleshooting. Here is what I tried with the various results:

- I cleared all generated files - no CTD but no addons or scenery using P3D default generated configs, settings, etc. This told me that it's something with my configuration files (P3Dv4 generated files).
- I then, using a meticulous process, identified that it was the scenery.cfg file that is causing the crash. If I remove it and let P3D generate a native one no crash occurs (meaning only P3Dv4 addons using the new native scenery_add-ons.xml system are active).
- I thought that ORBX Vector may be conflicting with HESH so I removed Vector completely (using my original scenery.cfg files that contain all my add-on airports). CTD still occurs.
- If I remove HESH via Control Panel the entry is NOT automatically removed from scenery_add-ons.xml.
- With HESH uninstalled, whether or not I remove the HESH entry out of scenery_add-ons.xml, no CTD occurs and I can load any aircraft and airport successfully using my original scenery.cfg with all my other addon sceneries.
- The moment I reinstall FSDG HESH and enable the add-on the problem is back.
- Even more bizarre, the CTD does not happen if I load the default P3D scenario but change the aircraft to the F-35 or F-16 before clicking on OK! (of the ones I tested the F-22, default Carenado Bonanza, all PMDG and TFDi 717 result in a CTD with FSDG HESH and my scenery.cfg).
- Loading the sim with a deleted scenery.cfg file (so it generates a new one) but retaining the sceneries enabled via "scenery_add-ons.xml" (including HESH) does NOT result in a CTD when loading the aircraft that caused CTD above.
- Loading the F-16 at your HESH with or without my scenery.cfg is all fine and everything looks as it should. This tells me there is nothing wrong with your airport or that it's conflicting with scenery.cfg otherwise I would have had the CTD too (how weird!!!)
- Trying to do the same with the F-22 results in a CTD immediately before the load bar appears after clicking on "OK" on the scenario screen (So some combination of aircraft + scenery causes a CTD and others don't. Really confusing!).

So to sum up it appears to me that using my scenery.cfg and enabled scenery_add-ons.xml some aircraft play ball with HESH installed and some result in an instant CTD when loading a scenario with that aircraft selected. If I remove HESH all aircraft can load fine without a CTD at any airport. If I remove my scenery.cfg but retain the ones enabled via the new addon method I can also load without CTD. But I can't load, for example, the default F-22 at your v4 HESH with my scenery.cfg without suffering a CTD.

I would receive a message from P3D that the scenery.cfg ordering is incorrect which it isn't each time as well which I believe is a known issue and will be resolved.

So to sum up my issue and what I did to fix it:

Troubleshooting steps taken:

- Delete generated files for fresh config and fresh scenery.cfg, etc, no CTD
- Copy my backups back, delete my scenery.cfg, retain my scenery_add-ons.xml, no CTD
- Remove HESH from scenery_add-ons.xml but retain my scenery.cfg, no CTD (thus reducing number of entries in xml by 1)
- Disable all 3rd party scenery in scenery.cfg and retain scenery_add-ons.xml, CTD (no entries removed, just disabled)

Resolution:

- Removed an unrelated (unused) scenery entry (for Muscat airport which was working fine before this issue) from scenery.cfg to see if a hard limit was reached, no CTD (this fixed my problem as I could now have HESH in my addon.xml and my original scenery.cfg intact).

I now have 273 "areas" defined in scenery.cfg now and am using a total of 297 sceneries when looking at the "priority" figure in the scenery library (including the ones defined by scenery_add-ons.xml). When I had the issue I had 274 "areas" defined and 298 entries under "priority" figure in scenery library.

Happy to provide the bugged scenery.cfg, the fixed scenery.cfg and the scenery_add-ons.xml if required.

Regards,
Daniel
McDaniel777

Post by McDaniel777 »

Same Problem here...

In my case I can have 210 Areas active, if I go over 210 Areas I get a CDT if I click on OK to start scenario.

It does not matter which scenery I use or deactivate, it's just realated to the number of areas active, so at the moment I need to deactivate scenerys I dont use to use new ones....

Very anoying...

Daniel
mseiwald

Post by mseiwald »

Same issue here:
245 active areas in scenery.cfg and 28 addon packages installed. As soon as i try to add another scenery by either scenery.cfg or add-ons.cfg the sim crashes when i want to load a flight. When i remove one of the previously installed sceneries and add the new one it works fine again.
It doesnt matter which scenery i remove and it also doesnt matter which new scenery i`m trying to install....i have tried several combinations. It wont go over the 273 entries (245 scenery.cfg + 28 add-ons.cfg). As long as its 273 entries in total everything works fine. As soon as it`s 274 entries my sim crashes immediately when trying to load a flight (again....no matter what scenery combinations you are using).
I hope this gets resolved soon since this is a absolute showstopper for me.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

"As soon as it`s 274 entries my sim crashes immediately when trying to load a flight (again....no matter what scenery combinations you are using)."

Windows Event Viewer ..
Name of Module that caused the crash?
Best Regards,
McDaniel777

Post by McDaniel777 »

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.0.28.21686, time stamp: 0x594a7255
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000026db0f8a130
Faulting process id: 0x2df8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d306a50b06f0a1
Faulting application path: F:\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 06c07789-bbd3-4dd7-a38c-052d967fb6fd
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
McDaniel777

Post by McDaniel777 »

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.0.28.21686, time stamp: 0x594a7255
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000178fc7f0410
Faulting process id: 0x42bc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d306a557a380e7
Faulting application path: F:\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 0c61fab7-1f27-4994-ae2c-25847471293e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
ProfessorMadman

Post by ProfessorMadman »

I'm drafting this as I'm doing some testing so excuse any incoherence.

For interest's sake can those of you with this issue try and load up the default F-16 instead of the F-22 or 3rd party aircraft when you're experiencing this crash? I get a CTD with the F-22 and most other addon aircraft in this scenario but I can load up the F-16 just fine... very bizarre.

Just installed ORBX OpenLC SA and now the problem is back! So I went into the library using the F-16 to get into the sim and deleted 2 entries for an airport (unrelated to OpenLC SA) but my scenery config still has 274 entries (298 in total if counting the ones added by scenery_add-ons.xml) and got a CTD. I then removed more entries to get the number to 273 in the scenery.cfg (297 total) and no more CTD...

I then added one more to get back up to 274 (298 total) and no CTD... Added one more (275 and 299), still no CTD and one more (276 and 300) and got a CTD. So this all seems very inconsistent but it's definitely got something to do with scenery.cfg or the total number of entries tallied between both scenery.cfg and scenery_add-ons.xml.

After numerous attempts and with a lot of fiddling adding and removing entries I now a working sim with 273 entries in the scenery.cfg and 297 in total (when including scenery_add-ons.xml).

No errors are recorded in Event Viewer when this occurs.
McDaniel777

Post by McDaniel777 »