PREPAR3D V4-CTD During Long Hauls

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
777Captain

PREPAR3D V4-CTD During Long Hauls

Post by 777Captain »

Hello Everyone,

So I've never had this issue before with FSX or P3D V3. However during a long haul flight With PREPAR3D V4 I can't seem to complete a long flight with out the sim crashing to the desktop. I have no idea what could be causing this or even where to begin. I will tell you that the crash doesn't typically happen until a couple hours into the flight after I return to the sim and start to look around and start preparing for descent or even just on its own after a long time of flying which leaves me wondering why. I have never had this issue before.

Computer Specs:
Intel i7 Proccesor
NVIDIA GRX970 12GB
16GB Ram

As far as adding go:

PMDG 777-200LR/300ER
FSDT KLAX
FSDT KJFK V2
FSDT KDFW
FlyTampa Sydney
LatinVFR KSAN
ORBX Global
ORBX Vector
ORBX Trees HD

I also used to have Ultimate Traffic Live installed but uninstalled it due to the constant crash on startup. So I use SPAI now. But I attempted to see if this was an AI loading issue and it wasn't when I turned off all AI during a flight.

Ihave my setting set pretty high but not maxed out and I know my computer can handle it because I'm getting about 40-100 FPs depending on my view I'm in. I mostly fly long haul flight so this issue is quite annoying especially since I have never had it happen to me on V3 or any earlier versions of FSX. I also have FSUIPC5 installed the free version. The crash normally occurs just at random a couple hours into flight. When doing long legs I tend to set my player view to locked spot looking at the belly of the aircraft to maximize frames when crossing long distances. However seems not to help. Crashing still happens. Any information will help! Thanks!
Martyson

Re: PREPAR3D V4-CTD During Long Hauls

Post by Martyson »

Check your Windows Event Viewer .. "Name of Module" that caused the crash?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
777Captain

Post by 777Captain »

Faulting Alllication Name: PREPAR3D.exe, version: 4.0.28.21686, time stamp: 0x594a7255
Faulting Module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.15063.447, time stamp: 0xa329d3a8
Exception Code: 0xc0000374
Fault Offset: 0x00000000000f775f
Faulting Process id: 0x28e4
Faulting Application Start Time: 0x01d302ca568ee614
Faulting Application Path: C:\\WINDOWS\System32\ntdll.dll

I also have other errors with dwmcore.dll and KERNELBASE.dll from other days
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

"Faulting Module name: ntdll.dll"

That is a tough one to nail down..

But for the PMDG777 .. it is still in final testing.
PMDG 737 /777 / 747 products are expected to be done updating /stability testing by about the July 31 2017 per info on their forum today. So, a'lot going on software wise this next week or so.

I decided to uninstall all PMDG 737/777 (FSX/P3D versions) and wait for the final products to release ... then do fresh downloads /installs.
Best Regards,
777Captain

Post by 777Captain »

Yes plus the two other random .dll errors
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

777Captain wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:13 am Yes plus the two other random .dll errors
Try these debugging steps:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=123246
Best Regards,
zalcantar

Post by zalcantar »

I preformed a fresh install of windows, chipset drivers, bios etc, all windows updates, then P3D and all add-ons ending with the 777 as the last install and so far no CTD's, everything runs really smooth and my PC just seems really clean. Not sure if you have the time or resources to go that far, but it seemed to work for me.
Zalcantar
MSI GE75 Raider 9SF laptop -Windows 10 version 1909 -i9-9880H -RTX 2070 8GB -32 GB DDR4 -V5 HF2 -ASP3D B7 w/ASCA -ORBX NA/EUR/Base/Vector - PROATCX -High settings/Dense AG -Locked @36fps -EA on -Stable for now
downscc

Post by downscc »

777Captain wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:13 am Yes plus the two other random .dll errors
Do not follow the advice of zalcantar by reinstalling your OS and effectively rebuilding your computer. All he did is remove the evidence of the problem without understand what the problem was. It is likely to reappear.

If you are using the PFD popup in the PMDG 777, or any PMDG, don't. This is a known bug, happens to some not all, and those that it happens to it is repeatable and traceable to the left DU 2D popup normally assigned to be the PFD. If you want a PFD popup then use the FO popup. Only the left DU has this problem. The crash will occur up to four or more hours after using the popup and there is no clear indication of faulting module. It might be ntdll one time then a different module the next.
Dan Downs
KCRP
zalcantar

Post by zalcantar »

downscc wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:35 pm
Do not follow the advice of zalcantar by reinstalling your OS and effectively rebuilding your computer. All he did is remove the evidence of the problem without understand what the problem was. It is likely to reappear.

If you are using the PFD popup in the PMDG 777, or any PMDG, don't. This is a known bug, happens to some not all, and those that it happens to it is repeatable and traceable to the left DU 2D popup normally assigned to be the PFD. If you want a PFD popup then use the FO popup. Only the left DU has this problem. The crash will occur up to four or more hours after using the popup and there is no clear indication of faulting module. It might be ntdll one time then a different module the next.
I know exactly what was wrong, I had too much junk on my PC and original windows installation. Ive installed, run, uninstalled FSX, P3D2, P3D3, and now with V4 I ran into the same dll problems the OP had. I tried uninstalling V4 and going though the debugging process and testing the addons one by one with the culprit not really being clear, randomly occurring no matter what combo of or without the addons I use. I did this all on my own without posting here because there's plenty of other similar threads. After starting completely fresh it works like it should and my performance is noticeably better.

So in my defense my suggestion is valid if he just can't figure out what's wrong like in my case.
Zalcantar
MSI GE75 Raider 9SF laptop -Windows 10 version 1909 -i9-9880H -RTX 2070 8GB -32 GB DDR4 -V5 HF2 -ASP3D B7 w/ASCA -ORBX NA/EUR/Base/Vector - PROATCX -High settings/Dense AG -Locked @36fps -EA on -Stable for now
roger090

Post by roger090 »

I have the similar issue and I cannot fix it yet.
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

If you have Visual Studio 2015 installed, an option would be to provide a crash dump to us.

When Prepar3D crashes, the option to debug through Visual Studio should appear. Attach to the Prepar3D process and then go to Debug --> Save Dump As to save the memory dump. Feel free to upload that dump to Dropbox or some other file server and PM me a link. Make sure you provide the full version number with each dump.

More details here: msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d5zhxt22.aspx

If you are seeing this issue only with PMDG aircraft, we recommend working with the developer to debug any issues. If they need any support integrating with Prepar3D, they should not hesitate to reach out directly to the Prepar3D team to debug further.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
texerrn

Post by texerrn »

I have the same thing. Just runs out of memory. No warnings just closes