DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Sabre57

Re: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Post by Sabre57 »

Kosta wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:58 pm You can find a length discussion and couple of tests on FSL forum here:
http://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.p ... ver-crash/

Spotlights are definitely not the only possible cause out there that cause these errors.
You will also see that P3D versions HF2 and HF3 are the only that display the DXGI error specifically.
Others only crash.

In HF2/3, if you press No, you will still be running P3D, but you see nothing.
In older versions, it will as if you pressed No. You will not be asked. You can still pan, push buttons, but blindly...

So each P3D version acts basically the same, all crash, and all Nvidia drivers that I have tested act the same.

Known triggers are apparently FSL Spotlights & 747v3... and then there are other games like BF3, Arma II and others being reported out there.

However, I am interested in trying the stock CPU clock... gonna try that.
Interesting. I don't use spotlights but I do use airmanager and spad. Airmanager puts an entry into dll.xml. I will run a test without it and see what happens.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
Kosta

Post by Kosta »

Sabre57 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:17 pm Interesting. I don't use spotlights but I do use airmanager and spad. Airmanager puts an entry into dll.xml. I will run a test without it and see what happens.
So am I reading this right, you are getting DXGI errors and you aren't using neither Spotlights nor 747v3?
mcdonar

Post by mcdonar »

I am getting DXGI errors and I have neither Spotlights nor 747v3. Using PMDG 777-300ER under Windows 10. I was using the latest ChasePlane.
HTH
Regards, Richard
Win10, P3Dv5.0, PMDG 748 & 777, ASP5 + ASCA, vPilot, PFPX
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

Removing air manager had no effect. Still received the error. However, I was thinking about trying to downclock the GPU as other posts had mentioned. Then I decided to lower my targeted framerate from unlimited to 30 instead. 2 flights last night of 30 & 50 minutes and no errors. On a third flight this morning where I will go for several hours and see what happens.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

This issue is strange. 10 minutes into the longer flight I received the error on my gtx 660. The 970 hasn't had any errors after 2 hours. Previously I ended up getting errors on both. So I guess that's some progress.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
Kosta

Post by Kosta »

mcdonar wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:20 am I am getting DXGI errors and I have neither Spotlights nor 747v3. Using PMDG 777-300ER under Windows 10. I was using the latest ChasePlane.
HTH
Well, to be clear, I was able to cause DXGI (in P3D) by simple overclocking too much in an MSI Afterburner. Merely upping the clock enough will simply produce the error.
kjbersas

Post by kjbersas »

kjbersas wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:25 pm A quick note related to the DXGI error. I reduced the level of CPU overclock (Not GPU) from 4,2 GHz to 4,0 GHz. I have not had any errors since.
Nah, never mind my previous statement. Just got the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG about 30 minutes into my SBGL-EGPK with PMDG 747V3. The previous days I have managed to complete other long trips in the 747 and 737 without the error. I'm stuck!
Kind regards,
Kjell A. (ENVA)
tsberry901

Post by tsberry901 »

What finally FIXED it on my system was turning off HT (Hyperthreading) in my BIOS. (Asus P6T). I was, however, also getting BSODs. I checked the dump files and they pointed to a processor error. I used "APPCRASHVIEW" to check the dump files and get my solution. Been running about 8 hours now with no problems. It's strange though that it would only show up when running P3D, isn't it? Guess P3D really loads up your system.
Kosta

Post by Kosta »

tsberry901 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:49 am What finally FIXED it on my system was turning off HT (Hyperthreading) in my BIOS. (Asus P6T). I was, however, also getting BSODs. I checked the dump files and they pointed to a processor error. I used "APPCRASHVIEW" to check the dump files and get my solution. Been running about 8 hours now with no problems. It's strange though that it would only show up when running P3D, isn't it? Guess P3D really loads up your system.
As I wrote in the FSL forums, DXGI error is not only caused by software (eg. generally games, or Spotlights, or 747v3) but also hardware failures and problems.
So while for some the error might be solved by merely removing Spotlights, for others the problem is gone by underclocking the GPU, selecting other settings, etc. It all depends on what is causing the error, which is, at this point, very hard to locate.

The tests done to make DXGI appear (which means driver crash in directx graphical interface) aren't always consistent. While one type of test is good for one type of error, it is completely useless for another.

I have found that pressing alt+enter in a fast sequence (and I mean really fast) will cause DXGI inside of some 15seconds if Spotlights are active. It will not cause it if Spotlights are not active. That is the only kind of reliable test that I was able to reproduce.

All other tests, like "I've been running for straight 8 hours" mean squat - sorry to have to say it like that. The reason is that many users report in a week "ah, the error appeared again". Why? Because it is random, and we don't know the definitive cause.

Some think it's Nvidia Driver, some think it's the settings, some think it's the P3D code etc.

The fact remains that we simply cannot reproduce the error on demand. And this is exactly what is needed for troubleshooting.
lucavb

Post by lucavb »

I started getting this error recently sometimes.

Today I re-installed P3D from scratch uninstalling all addons.

I can't tell if re-installing any particular addon did it but I got the same error again with only a few planes and airports installed.

I think it is either an NVIDIA thing or P3D 3.4 HF3.
Airwolf

Post by Airwolf »

I just did a clean windows 10 install with Nvidia 376.33 (no it did not update to 376.53).

I have just installed clean latest p3d 3.4.22 and sitting on airport for 30 min (base kjfk) on the raptor resulted in DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG.

Something wonky is happening
Kosta

Post by Kosta »

Hah, really! Well then, it kinda confirms that even the basic setup can trigger it.

My bet is that it's Nvidia thing.
SQ865

Post by SQ865 »

Kosta wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:56 am Hah, really! Well then, it kinda confirms that even the basic setup can trigger it.

Hi Kosta,

It is also with AMD. You've helped me alot at the FSLABS forum. Thanks
Airwolf

Post by Airwolf »

I do wonder if some setting is changed on the windows power management. I am going to do another test this time with pc running on maximum power. Usually I always run the system this way but the last time the crash happened on basic p3d 3.4 install was with balanced power profile.

Is there another driver besides 376.33 which is known to work with SLI and P3D 3.4?

Thanks
Kosta

Post by Kosta »

SQ865 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:21 pm
Kosta wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:56 am Hah, really! Well then, it kinda confirms that even the basic setup can trigger it.

Hi Kosta,

It is also with AMD. You've helped me alot at the FSLABS forum. Thanks
Lefteris did say that his money is on P3D... but then, there are also other games... so... :)
Glad to be of help.