DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Sabre57

Re: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Post by Sabre57 »

After installing hotfix 3 and updating the Nvidia drivers I'm still getting this error. Since the release notes really only mention fixes for an SLI configuration it's not unexpected. Prior to going higher than Nvidia 361.43 I never encountered this error. So its back to those drivers.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
Kosta

Post by Kosta »

Be so kind and keep us posted as how stable they are?
Euphonist

Post by Euphonist »

Same with me
Prepar3d v4, Active Sky, ORBX, ChasePlane
tdubl26

Post by tdubl26 »

Try downclocking your GPU. I have to decrease my GPU clock by 300MHz and my GPU memory clock by 100MHz or I get DXGI errors. P3D destabilizes my GPU even though it only ever uses about 35-40% no matter which driver version I use. I have no issues with other system intensive games or programs. P3D is rock solid this way and there is no performance hit since it barely even uses the GPU anyhow. If you have an NVIDIA card with TI, FTW, Classified etc... then it's factory overclocked and could be the cause of the instability. Some cards also auto boost the clock speeds. I have had this happen with other AAA titles and it can come and go with windows updates, NVIDIA updates, or program patches.

You can use MSI Afterburner or I use EVGA Precision X to adjust your clock speeds and set profiles. Be aware that EVGA's on screen display server can cause frame drops if you undock windows in P3D on some systems. I use a GTX 970FTW by the way and have previously seen this at times with my old 660TI as well. Good luck.
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

I haven't rolled back yet. Went to Nvidia's website and they've released another hotfix driver. They are getting a lot of reports of problems with the hotfix drivers as well. Not directly related to P3d but definitely suspicious.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
Kosta

Post by Kosta »

Apparently it's just general problem. Btw. I didn't downclock, I actually overclocked it, and boosted Voltage to max via MSI Afterburner (applied to BIOS...). Now will see how stable.
gborre

Post by gborre »

Hello,

I have the same problem with P3D v3.4 hotfix 2 and hotfix 3. No problems with v3.3.5 or 3.4 hotfix 1.

i7 2600, nvidia gtx750ti ftw (without overlock both)

Greetings,
Gustavo
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

My issue with Device Hung errors may be resolved.

I rolled back to 361.43 Nvidia drivers and still received this error on hotfix 3.

I was about to go back to hotfix 1 when I thought about trying something else. To install the hotfixes I only used the individual installer method. Just for grins I decided to uninstall everything and then re-install the entire SIM with hotfix 3.

This seems to have worked as I've flown for about 3 hours and there have been no errors so far. This may not be long enough to declare victory so I plan on flying more hours before doing so.

If this is the fix then, obviously, there is something with my configuration that doesn't like the individual installers.

I plan on staying on this driver for a little while and, assuming no issues, then try updating them again. I need to update them for other programs. Otherwise I would leave well enough alone.

As always, if you do this, your mileage may vary.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

As of this post, no joy. After about a 40 minute flight while on final it happened again. As long as I select "No" to the continue to use this device question I can complete the flight. Albeit without the monitors attached to this particular card. I'm going to try again with the newer drivers to see what happens. I'm beginning to think that I might have a hardware issue. Seems pretty coincidental that this all started after going to higher drivers and hotfix 3 though. Stranger things have happened though.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
Kosta

Post by Kosta »

You might try underclocking your card a bit. See how it goes?
For what it's worth, I actually overclocked it a bit, but gave it a full voltage in MSI Afterburner. It's under warranty anyway...

Fast search on the net reveals quite many posts though.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/i ... games.html
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... g-needed-/
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... e-removed/

So many have it, also with other games, and solutions are so widespread that one can only try each one until something works.
KennethVerburg

Post by KennethVerburg »

Pressing alt-enter to look at recent weather or pfpx is pretty much the only way I'm still getting them, mostly with the new 747.
mcdonar

Post by mcdonar »

I have now updated my drivers for GTX590 with NVIDIA Experience. Unfortunately, I now cannot get my PC to display anything on any of the 3 screens and I don't know how to recover. Really stuck.
Any advice?
Regards, Richard
Win10, P3Dv5.0, PMDG 748 & 777, ASP5 + ASCA, vPilot, PFPX
kjbersas

Post by kjbersas »

A quick note related to the DXGI error. I reduced the level of CPU overclock (Not GPU) from 4,2 GHz to 4,0 GHz. I have not had any errors since.
Kind regards,
Kjell A. (ENVA)
valir

Post by valir »

I got this too and after I installed all windows updates is more stable (only one time I got a freeze and crash without any error message).
VAS usage is higher and what I noticed, compared with all previous versions, GPU usage is at 99%-100%, never happened to me before. So I suppose something wrong is in the latest version...
Kosta

Post by Kosta »

You can find a length discussion and couple of tests on FSL forum here:
http://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.p ... ver-crash/

Spotlights are definitely not the only possible cause out there that cause these errors.
You will also see that P3D versions HF2 and HF3 are the only that display the DXGI error specifically.
Others only crash.

In HF2/3, if you press No, you will still be running P3D, but you see nothing.
In older versions, it will as if you pressed No. You will not be asked. You can still pan, push buttons, but blindly...

So each P3D version acts basically the same, all crash, and all Nvidia drivers that I have tested act the same.

Known triggers are apparently FSL Spotlights & 747v3... and then there are other games like BF3, Arma II and others being reported out there.

However, I am interested in trying the stock CPU clock... gonna try that.