Out of Memory

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
cherryx

Re: Out of Memory

Post by cherryx »

Martyson wrote:****
What do you think about the post above yours?

" davecessna » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:24 pm
It shouldn't make a difference the hotfix didn't do anything with respect to VAS."

If so, your Addon(s) are the problem with your setup .. not P3D?
Sure, but that's not the point. 3.3.5 works, 3.4.9 (with or without hotfix) does not. No change in setup or addons. So something in P3D has changed that leads to this. I don't know if it's related to some addon or a change in P3D 3.4.9, but at least the update started this behaviour.

But it does not matter (for me). I have a working 3.3.5 copy.
davecessna

Post by davecessna »

Martyson wrote: If so, your Addon(s) are the problem with your setup .. not P3D?
You have one scenario where all addons and P3D work well enough (3.3.5), then you have another scenario where P3D is upgraded to 3.4.9 and nothing changes addon side and you say there is an issue with addons. Something changed between 3.3.5 and 3.4.9 that affected the way VAS is handled.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

davecessna wrote:
Martyson wrote: If so, your Addon(s) are the problem with your setup .. not P3D?
You have one scenario where all addons and P3D work well enough (3.3.5), then you have another scenario where P3D is upgraded to 3.4.9 and nothing changes addon side and you say there is an issue with addons. Something changed between 3.3.5 and 3.4.9 that affected the way VAS is handled.

Some addons do not function properly or will not load at all with a new version of P3D.
The addon developer has to certify their software works with each new P3D version.

Some examples from my addons ... I am or had to wait for the developer before these would function without error(s) with new version of P3D:
Active sky, VRS F18E, F1 GTN, FSUIPC, Orbx ...
Last edited by Martyson on Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
cherryx

Post by cherryx »

Since I'm quite curious, I'm going to start from scratch now.
downscc

Post by downscc »

Maybe Vaughan; however, I have deliberately ran the same session in v3.4 and ran into the low VAS gong that performed without problem in v3.3. I am not going to spend time on it, I now simply save my flight in progress a few miles before TOD, exit P3D, restart and load the saved flight. This usually restores 1.3-1.8 GB and I'm on my way.

It is an easy workaround, but please don't claim that the problem doesn't exist.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

downscc wrote:Maybe Vaughan; however, I have deliberately ran the same session in v3.4 and ran into the low VAS gong that performed without problem in v3.3. I am not going to spend time on it, I now simply save my flight in progress a few miles before TOD, exit P3D, restart and load the saved flight. This usually restores 1.3-1.8 GB and I'm on my way.

It is an easy workaround, but please don't claim that the problem doesn't exist.
Dan,
I did not claim anything .. I just did a test and gave my results.
I did not run out of memory on my test.
Best Regards,
cherryx

Post by cherryx »

DId some testing yesterday, fresh Sim, 3.4.9 Hotfix 1.

Installed FSUIPC, GEP3D, UTX Europe, PMDG NGX, Aerosoft EDDB and EDDT, RAAS Pro. I didn't use the PMDG for this. When parking in Saarbrücken (EDDR, no scenery anywhere close), I was at 2400-2500 MB free VAS (depending on UTX options) in the default Baron.

Parking at runway 07R in EDDB, I had 2000 MB VAS left. All as expected. So I did a flight in the Baron, departure 07R in EDDB, left turn via EDDT and then roughly south-west bound (heading around 240), no sceneries. What I expected to happen due to my experience from earlier versions is that VAS should increase when leaving the Berlin area, but this did not happen. For some time I was at 2000 MB free, which started to decrease to below 1900 MB. Will do another try with a faster plane today, but it looks like P3D keeps the sceneries in Memory.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

I went to Flight One to check the price for UTX Europe V2.

But it said for Prepar3d V2.1, V2.4, and V2.5

Has it been upgraded for P3D v3x (3.4.9 Hotfix 1.) now?
Best Regards,
cherryx

Post by cherryx »

Martyson wrote:I went to Flight One to check the price for UTX Europe V2.

But it said for Prepar3d V2.1, V2.4, and V2.5

Has it been upgraded for P3D v3x (3.4.9 Hotfix 1.) now?
I bought it last december. They have a patch for P3D v3: http://www.simforums.com/forums/admin-p ... 53705.html

That was the reason I bought it back then.

Currently doing a flight with UTX disabled in the default F-22.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Ok,
Thanks for the link to F1 UTX for P3Dv3 .... much appreciated.
Best Regards,
cherryx

Post by cherryx »

Next test, default F-22. Same flight as in the Baron, UTX deactivated. After departure, round about 1850 MB VAS free. Currently, I oxidize somewhere over the atlantic ocean, 1800 MB free.
That freeing up of memory that worked so well in 3.3.5 seems to be gone.
Sander8

Prepar3d hotfix VAS failures

Post by Sander8 »

Dear all,

I'm wondering when there will finally be a solution to those VAS failures. Many users are reporting it. I'm sure my hardware settings are more then required but still we keep on getting those failures. This was not the case in earlier versions of prepar3d.

The latest hotfix was promised to fix this but again people report problems with VAS.

I think many users are sharing the same feeling: nothing so frustrating then a sim crashing on landing due to those VAS issues.

Basically the question is: When can we expect solutions for this annoying issue?

Best regards,
Sander
Adam Breed
Lockheed Martin

Post by Adam Breed »

All,

Out of memory issues are often reported, but they are not all tiggered in the same way. In some cases it is caused by overloading your system and exceeding the memory allocated for 32-bit applications. You can reduce your Prepar3D settings (textures, autogen, AI objects) to help allivate the issue.

In the case of memory leaks or memory not clearing, both issues could be triggered by Prepar3D or an add-on. You should first make sure your add-on is compatible with the version of Prepar3D you are using.

A few things for you to try to isolate the issue:

1. Ensure no add-ons are causing this issue be restoring Prepar3D to a default state by removing the following files:
PLEASE NOTE: This will likely remove your add-ons. Backup these files before deleting if that is a concern.
  • %PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
  • %LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
  • %APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
  • %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v3 Files
2. Reinstall add-ons one by one to attempt to identify if the out of memory is triggered by an add-on. Run Prepar3D after each add-on installation to see if the issues persist. If a specific add-on can be identified as triggering the issue, it will greatly help in isolating and fixing the exact cause.

3. Turn on Content Error Logging and report any issues here and to the third party developer of the add-on triggering the errors.
  • Settings -> Simulation General -> Content Error Logging
  • Errors related to content will be logged to a file %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v3 Files\ContentErrorLog.txt.
4. Disable features that are unnecessary for some use cases by modifying your Prepar3D.cfg
  • Disable SimDirector
    • [STARTUP]
    • LOAD_SCENARIO_TOOLS=0
  • Turn off shadows
    • [GRAPHICS]
    • SHADOW_QUALITY=0
  • Disable Avatar
    • [Avatar]
  • Stop various 3D model optimizations
    • [SIM]
    • OPTIMIZE_PARTS=0
5. Turn off AI Traffic. Often third party models are high quality and loaded as AI air traffic, which could quickly lead to out of memories if there are many memory intensive add-ons installed.
  • Options -> Settings -> Display Traffic (move all sliders to the left)
6. Some users reported success and improved memory useage by disabling CPU Hyperthreading. It is handled differenetly by each system, but is worth investigating to see if you experience any better memory usage.

7. Delete your cameras.cfg from %APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 and let Prepar3D autogenerate one on next execution. Some users reported old camera definitions were leading to increased memory footprints.

Let us know,
Adam
Prepar3D® Engineering Project Manager
Sander8

Post by Sander8 »

@Adam,

Dear Adam,

I'm very sorry to say so but I have the feeling LM is denying they have some problems regarding this issue. Many users report this problem since V3.4.

I personnaly have a high end system and did not change any setups to Prepar3d when upgrading to V3.4. I basicly kept the same configuration, same airplanes, same scenery,... Very soon OOM regarding "system out of memory" started to pop up.

What I did is some research to this issue and started to reduce my setting. I first started with unloading all addon scenery, then reducing settings,... This resulted in minor or no results. So I think it's pretty fare to say that something must have changed between V3.3 and V3.4 which is causing those problems.

As customer I must say: we pay a fare amount of money for this great product and I definitely would do it again but please accept and adres this MAJOR issue.

Thank you,
Best regards,
Sander
rodtod11

Post by rodtod11 »

Add me to the list. Updated and started having OOM's where I had none before. Same scenarios as described in the posts here.