Crashing on long flights

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
GE90-115

Crashing on long flights

Post by GE90-115 »

Hi there, every time I try to do a long flight in the PMDG 777, once i get back tot he sim to land at my destination, P3D crashes. Every single time (for example last night IAD-DOH) i maximised the P3D window and within 15 minutes is crashed. I am now using P3D v3.3.5 and did a complete fresh install for the update. The same thing was happening in v3.2 which is actually the reason I switched, to try and stop the issue. When i view the crash details, its always a .dll and most recently the menus.dll. I alredy checked with PMDG and we have figured out its not a problem with the aircraft. Please help.
Martyson

Re: Crashing on long flights

Post by Martyson »

"once i get back tot he sim to land at my destination, P3D crashes."

Does this mean you did not actually fly the flight but set the flight to Pause at TOD?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
downscc

Post by downscc »

Agree, you provided minimal information.

How long is long? Is there a user action that preceeds the crash? Is it a crash to desktop without message or does windows provide a message that says the application has quit working. Which dll files? What error code? I think you get the point.
Dan Downs
KCRP
GE90-115

Post by GE90-115 »

I takeoff, fly for a few hours and then minimise the sim to go to bed. I get up and there is either another few hours left to go or its paused at TOD. An example of one of the flight would be the 10 hour SWR41 from KLAX to LSZH.
ahuimanu

Post by ahuimanu »

Hi,

I don't have a solution as I haven't been able to fly in my preferred manner (what you describe) since FSX with Steve's DX10 fixer.

I LOVE a mission profile like you are describing:

1) Plan a 8-12 hour flight meticulously
2) Use real weather
3) Fly across the pond in the PMDG 777, MD-11, or 747-400

I too like to spend an hour or so before bed planning the flight, getting loaded up, and getting up to cruise. I too also then like to wake up the next morning and take care of things from TOD down. I know some think this is weird, but I've always preferred this in flight sim. I just can't do this in P3D.

I have been using P3D for about 13 months now (2.5 and 3.x) and I've never been able to complete these types of missions without either VAS-ing out.

I believe I could make it work by turning stuff way down, but even then it was hit or miss. I'm on a bizjet kick now as a result, but those are not my preferred heavy-iron long haul.

Have you considered not minimizing but leaving the window up and rendering for the whole flight?
GE90-115

Post by GE90-115 »

I haven't considered that because my pc tends to heat up if P3d is maximized for too long, i might have to try it though. i also find if it si paused for a while it crashes.
downscc

Post by downscc »

GE90-115 wrote:I haven't considered that because my pc tends to heat up if P3d is maximized for too long, i might have to try it though. i also find if it si paused for a while it crashes.
That overheating might be the red flag you are looking for. Overclocked? Dirty filters? Fix this problem first.
Dan Downs
KCRP