[RESOLVED] AMD Driver reset with P3d V3

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
mcp5500

Re: AMD Driver reset with P3d V3

Post by mcp5500 »

Understood :)
walterg74

Post by walterg74 »

Beau Hollis wrote:Update:
AMD put a high priority on this issue. With help from all of your feedback, they have found the root cause and are working on a fix for it now. Thanks again to everyone who posted information here. Once the fix is completed, and we have a timeline on the driver update, we will post another update.

Hi Beau, sorry for the ignorance, but you have info then that AMD is working for real on this and will come out woth a fix in the short term? Looking to buy v3 but I have AMD cards, and don't wish to waste my money.

Thanks!!!
mgh99

Post by mgh99 »

walterg74 wrote:Hi Beau, sorry for the ignorance, but you have info then that AMD is working for real on this and will come out woth a fix in the short term? Looking to buy v3 but I have AMD cards, and don't wish to waste my money.

Thanks!!!
Then you have to wait until AMD releases the new driver. Lockheed Martin can't do anything about it.
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

AMD found a fix. We are told this should be corrected in the 15.30 release. Sorry for the late update. I got the news while on vacation a week ago and forgot to post the update when i returned to the office.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
Bobcat999

Post by Bobcat999 »

Hello Beau. Thanks for the update, but I am not sure about 15.30 driver number; maybe a typo?

AMD driver releases are numbered after the year and month, e.g. 15.2 for February this year.
Sometimes they have another dot and number if they release a hotfix in the same month, e.g 15.2.1.

The current drivers are (last full stable driver set) 15.7.1 (the second update in July), and latest beta's are version 15.11.

I would expect the next full drivers to be 15.11 converted from beta, or 15.12 if they keep us waiting until December.

I am glad it is confirmed that AMD have a fix, but it is no secret that AMD are struggling and must get better if they want to survive. I have kept an eye on this thread, but due to the issues in P3D and FSX, I have long since removed my R9 card and replaced it with an Nvidia GTX970. Their loss, as I will think twice about buying another AMD card for flight simulation in future, and my last three have been AMD.

I have posted many tickets with AMD over the years that have taken hours of my time in testing and narrowing down, for no response or acknowledgement of the issues at all, so I am glad LM managed to get this issue escalated, even if just for the sake of the other R9 card owners.

The AMD cards really are good cards in general (my R9 390 is actually a fair bit faster than my new GTX 970), but lack of customer support and driver updates could finish them off if they are not careful. Customer is king, or basically as LM say, never forget who you are working for. On this issue, LM's support has put AMD to shame in my opinion. It is like night and day.
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Sorry. Just passing along the info AMD sent to me. I'll double check. Looking at the release notes of the latest beta, the catalyst software suite is at version 15.11 while the graphics driver itself is 15.201.1151.1007.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
sprucemouthman

Post by sprucemouthman »

I haven't had any driver crashes, but I am having trouble getting certain effects to display. Wing vortex/contrails and wheel spray effects refuse to display, both stock and precipitfx. What is strange is that the precipitfx rain seems to work, but none of the other effects do. In trying to solve the problem I stumbled upon this thread, and seeing as how it involves particle effects and I have an older ATI gpu (HD6850), I think this problem may apply to me. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
racketyjack

Post by racketyjack »

Beau Hollis wrote:Update:
AMD put a high priority on this issue. With help from all of your feedback, they have found the root cause and are working on a fix for it now. Thanks again to everyone who posted information here. Once the fix is completed, and we have a timeline on the driver update, we will post another update.
REAL glad to hear this, thank you.
It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.
wyzx01

Post by wyzx01 »

hope the shaders fix will also fix the GPU load and GPU frequency issue, they are quite unstable by this time.
E3-1231V3
R9 380 4G
jorgemoyam

Post by jorgemoyam »

i dont have to change the video crd the AMD R9 390 8 GB its espctacular in the v3 and works perfecly well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCa3C0eorrk

Bobcat999 wrote:Hello Beau. Thanks for the update, but I am not sure about 15.30 driver number; maybe a typo?

AMD driver releases are numbered after the year and month, e.g. 15.2 for February this year.
Sometimes they have another dot and number if they release a hotfix in the same month, e.g 15.2.1.

The current drivers are (last full stable driver set) 15.7.1 (the second update in July), and latest beta's are version 15.11.

I would expect the next full drivers to be 15.11 converted from beta, or 15.12 if they keep us waiting until December.

I am glad it is confirmed that AMD have a fix, but it is no secret that AMD are struggling and must get better if they want to survive. I have kept an eye on this thread, but due to the issues in P3D and FSX, I have long since removed my R9 card and replaced it with an Nvidia GTX970. Their loss, as I will think twice about buying another AMD card for flight simulation in future, and my last three have been AMD.

I have posted many tickets with AMD over the years that have taken hours of my time in testing and narrowing down, for no response or acknowledgement of the issues at all, so I am glad LM managed to get this issue escalated, even if just for the sake of the other R9 card owners.

The AMD cards really are good cards in general (my R9 390 is actually a fair bit faster than my new GTX 970), but lack of customer support and driver updates could finish them off if they are not careful. Customer is king, or basically as LM say, never forget who you are working for. On this issue, LM's support has put AMD to shame in my opinion. It is like night and day.
Bobcat999

Post by Bobcat999 »

Beau Hollis wrote:Sorry. Just passing along the info AMD sent to me. I'll double check. Looking at the release notes of the latest beta, the catalyst software suite is at version 15.11 while the graphics driver itself is 15.201.1151.1007.
Ah! Thanks Beau. It is the Catalyst package number that is normally quoted, as the driver and everything else comes with it, but it appears just to confuse things that AMD have quoted the stand alone DRIVER number, which could indeed be 15.30 then judging by the last number. Normally everyone just downloads the latest Catalyst pack. Thanks for clearing it up.
Bobcat999

Post by Bobcat999 »

jorgemoyam wrote:i dont have to change the video crd the AMD R9 390 8 GB its espctacular in the v3 and works perfecly well
Hello Jorge, yes we can all do that with R9 cards by editing the shader file, but some important effects are missing, such as the wing lights which do not show properly in your video. I also have problems in FSX with the R9 card - graphics corruption after a matter of minutes if water is set to reflective, for example. So I had enough and bought a GTX970. Great in P3D and FSX, with no slow down in thick clouds, which the AMD also suffered from.

As much as I liked AMD. If anyone was building a computer to run P3D (or FSX) I would have to advise them to buy a GTX970, or 980 if they can afford it. I also like the hardware video recoding (shadowplay).

The AMD cards can run P3D and FSX, but they are problematical, and certain features have to be disabled - no point doing this when an Nvidia card can run them perfectly. Maybe Nvidia are not so perfect with other software, but flight simulation is a big part of my life at the moment; I got frustrated so I bought an Nvidia. The AMD can go in the wifes computer which plays music! Lol!
jorgemoyam

Post by jorgemoyam »

Bobcat999 flight simulation its too part of my life since 2010 i dont have had a problems with the amd ... the details in the V3 its not big deals in practise real procedures , BtW in the FSX i dont have any problems ever and i have all features high the only problem its the mouse drop frames but that problem its in Nvidia too, i flew in P3d from the 1.4 version and i dont have any issue... so i trust in AMD resolve the problem in V3 but to simulate real procedures , frames, and smooth AMD works perfeckly too, its more problems with the nvidia inspector (good luck with that hehehe) and the antialiasing its poor

by the way to run music amd its the best so in the video and rendering, premiere, aftereffects design that i use works better i can use tre games design in big resolution and ... yesss listen music at the same time and the 512 bits and 8 GB never crash the video card :)

but enjoy configurating the nvidia inspector :)

salud

Ceo
http://www.Coljet.com.co
flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jorge_h_m ... 4838452884
Bobcat999

Post by Bobcat999 »

Jorge - The Nvidia Inspector is fine once you have learned how to set it up. It is no harder than the Radeon Pro tool.

I run 8 x CSAA and 8 x Sparse Grid Supersampling at the same time, 4k resolution at 30 frames. The Antialiasing is spectacular, so I don't know what you mean. For Nvidia owners, setting sparse grid is the key, or even at 8 x CSAA you will get shimmering. Same in P3D and FSX. Once you know you have to set sparse grid supersampling, the AA is superb, and absolutely no frame rate drop in thick clouds.

Everyone else gets graphics corruption in FSX DX10 mode with later R9 cards when water is set to reflective (2.x - 2 shader passes) and AA above x2. It is unusual if you do not - maybe you run DX9 still?. With my R9 390, sometimes it happens after 2 minutes, sometimes 20 minutes (no overclock). With non-reflective water (1.x) it was fine, but the water looks poor. No problem in P3D due to the change to DX11 being properly coded.

Yes the AMD is good for video. :)

Excellent pictures on your Flickr site! People should view them to see what is possible. Are you using SweetFX?
caran3d

Post by caran3d »

Has anyone had success using the 15.11 beta driver? I'm using an r7 260x and it crashes the same as everyone else is describing with greater or lesser cards.