V. 2.5 - aircraft texture dullness.

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Dag

Post by Dag »

Hello,

Here's a couple of shots of the P-38s after installation of 2.5. Are they supposed to be this dull on the glass textures and fuselage?

Dag
maca11

Post by maca11 »

I had a similar question/comment in different thread (v2.5 aircraft textures). Do not know what it means.. if programme is changed or if there some different set-up in cfg files ..?
JM
OldAirMail

Post by OldAirMail »

Sorry to offend. It was not my intention.
Dag

Post by Dag »

No need to go bold here, I hear ya. I am fully aware that most military aircraft are not very shiny but these P-38s were natural metal (aluminium) and rather shiny. In previous versions of P3D they had a completely different shine. Anyway, at least the canopy should be glossy and polished, not dull light blue.

Dag
Carl

Post by Carl »

I've also noticed the lack of shine on civilian airliners as well as my Carenado aircraft. This wasn't the case with v2.4. I'm confident, however, that LM will fix this in a future release/hot fix.

MSI Meg ACE mobo - AMD 3800x CPU - 32gb RAM @ 3600 - ( 2) 1tb PCIe4 M.2s, (2) 1tb EVO SSDs - GTX1070 8gb OC GPU - single 32" monitor @ 2560x1440 - Win 10 Pro
DaveWG

Post by DaveWG »

I've been looking at this, after finding some aircraft that show a shiny / chrome finish in FSX but are dull in P3d
I've knocked up a model with 4 spheres, all with basically the same material settings with a couple of differences.
Here's how it looks in FSX & P3dv2.4:

and in P3d V2.5(hotfix)

Sphere 1 has "use global environment map as reflection" ticked, and "GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome" set as the reflection map
Sphere 2 has "use global environment map as reflection" ticked, and nothing set as the reflection map
Sphere 3 has "use global environment map as reflection" unticked, and "GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome" set as the reflection map
Sphere 4 has "use global environment map as reflection" unticked, and nothing set as the reflection map

It seems using the "use global environment map as reflection" setting in the material properties isn't working, and is killing the reflection.
Hope this can be fixed in the next patch.
McMaster

Post by McMaster »

That's a great investigation DaveWG! Hopefully it help them fix the reflection issues.
Dag

Post by Dag »

Superb investigation Dave :-)

Dag
jostytosty

Post by jostytosty »

In the original V2.5 I could rotate my view around my plane 360 degr. after the update[s] I can only rotate 359 degr, meanining, for a look from the other side I first have to rotate backwards.Never knew why that was so in any MSFS or P3D sim. Would like to have the 360 rotation back please.
Kevin Cartrette
Lockheed Martin

Post by Kevin Cartrette »

Hey,

Are you using a default Prepar3D install with no add-ons, and seeing this issue? Are you seeing this happen on other aircraft other than the P-38?

The reason I ask is because on our internal builds I see the environment cubemap being mapped correctly on the Mooney and Robinson. The P-38 I believe sets an environment texture that isn't a cubemap, which might end up becoming a graphics card driver dependent issue.

Thanks,
-Kevin.
Prepar3D Graphics Software Engineer
DaveWG

Post by DaveWG »

I've been looking some more into this.
I uninstalled P3d & then reinstalled a fresh copy of 2.5 (no hotfixes). The only addition was my "chrome balls" test model.
Booted the sim, F22 @ Langley(?). All good. Swapped to "chrome balls". 3 balls showing reflections as they should. Went into the menus and changed a few things, rebooted and again swapped to my test model. This time only one ball had reflections. Most odd.
After a bit of trial and error, I've found that if I boot straight into a flight then the reflections show up correctly, but if I boot to the "scenario setup screen" first, they don't.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Wow, great catch there Dave. I always boot to the “scenario setup screen” which may explain why my aircraft reflections are borked.
MSI Meg ACE mobo - AMD 3800x CPU - 32gb RAM @ 3600 - ( 2) 1tb PCIe4 M.2s, (2) 1tb EVO SSDs - GTX1070 8gb OC GPU - single 32" monitor @ 2560x1440 - Win 10 Pro
Kevin Cartrette
Lockheed Martin

Hey,

I was able to reproduce this using the Scenario Setup Screen as well, that was the missing link. I have a good idea what is causing this issue now, thank you.

Thanks,
-Kevin.
Kevin Cartrette
Lockheed Martin

Hey,

This issue has now been resolved in our internal builds.

Thank,
-Kevin.
DaveWG

Post by DaveWG »

Thanks for the update Kevin. Looking forward to next hotfix!