Something odd with runway/taxiway textures after PBR update

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
eburt

Something odd with runway/taxiway textures after PBR update

Post by eburt »

Hi all,

Have an issue with runway/taxiway issues since the PBR update. I've contacted FSDT and they tell me they have made no changes to their runway/taxiway textures but yet it is what you see in the picture. This happens with FSDT (CYVR) Orbx (LOWI) , Aerosoft (EGLL) and several other companies as well. I also am not alone as several others in the Prosim Forum have reported the same phenomena with no solution to date. It is also worse at night, or during rain. The photos will show better than I can explain. I really would like to know how to fix this.

I guess someone will have to show me how to attach a file here before I can show you the pictures.
Best Regards,
Ed Burton

P3Dv5.3HF2, W10, i9 10850KA, Asus Z490, 32GB Ram, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080,EVGA 2070 Ultra, 3 x 60" Samsung 180' View Group, 738 Cockpit using Prosim Flight Model and Avionics.
Martyson

Re: Something odd with runway/taxiway textures after PBR update

Post by Martyson »

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
eburt

Post by eburt »

Ok, hopeful the images will show up. You will notice the colors/hues are off in the Areosoft title. In the FSDT scenery, as in many others, the detail seems to be way to high in the taxiway/runways. This not only looks awful but is very hard on fps.. huge amount of stutters.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fed8b3rxfcrp ... _jRra?dl=0
Best Regards,
Ed Burton

P3Dv5.3HF2, W10, i9 10850KA, Asus Z490, 32GB Ram, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080,EVGA 2070 Ultra, 3 x 60" Samsung 180' View Group, 738 Cockpit using Prosim Flight Model and Avionics.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

"Stutters" leads to a question about your system specs?

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

eburt wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:56 am Ok, hopeful the images will show up. You will notice the colors/hues are off in the Areosoft title. In the FSDT scenery, as in many others, the detail seems to be way to high in the taxiway/runways. This not only looks awful but is very hard on fps.. huge amount of stutters.

How do your default P3D airports look?
Best Regards,
eburt

Post by eburt »

Martyson wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:05 pm
eburt wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:56 am Ok, hopeful the images will show up. You will notice the colors/hues are off in the Areosoft title. In the FSDT scenery, as in many others, the detail seems to be way to high in the taxiway/runways. This not only looks awful but is very hard on fps.. huge amount of stutters.

Default airports look ok and so do some of the payware. I did contact FSDT and they said they had made no new changes to runway/taxiways since the PBR updates.

Yes..agreed stutters is another issue but when my PC draws to such a high degree it's much more noticeable on taxi. My specs are high.. RTX2070, a 6700 at 4.9 single view. I have my FPS limited to 66 and HT is off. I do not have my sliders anywhere near maxed. As I mentioned, there are others with this same issue. I'm not looking to point the finger, I'm just hoping to find a solution. If I have a setting wrong,,then great, I'd love to know what might work. I've tried many without success.

It almost appears that the runway/taxiway textures are magnified. The Areosoft scenery, you can notice all kinds of different color hues,, purples greens etc. I see this in the FSDT sceneries as well.

All the best,

Ed
Best Regards,
Ed Burton

Martyson

Post by Martyson »

eburt wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:01 pm

Default airports look ok and so do some of the payware. I did contact FSDT and they said they had made no new changes to runway/taxiways since the PBR updates.

Yes..agreed stutters is another issue but when my PC draws to such a high degree it's much more noticeable on taxi. My specs are high.. RTX2070, a 6700 at 4.9 single view. I have my FPS limited to 66 and HT is off. I do not have my sliders anywhere near maxed. As I mentioned, there are others with this same issue. I'm not looking to point the finger, I'm just hoping to find a solution. If I have a setting wrong,,then great, I'd love to know what might work. I've tried many without success.

It almost appears that the runway/taxiway textures are magnified. The Areosoft scenery, you can notice all kinds of different color hues,, purples greens etc. I see this in the FSDT sceneries as well.

All the best,

Ed
Glad to hear your default P3D airports are OK.

As for payware I could test Orbx LOWI and and FSDT KORD.

Do you know if Orbx LOWI is fully developed with PBR (my version may be older)?

I know FSDT KORD is developed fully with PBR.

I am not sure PBR is causing your problem.
Best Regards,
downscc

Post by downscc »

I honestly don't see a problem with those images. Does the concrete texturing look overdone? Well, that depends on your zoom and the lighting. The whole idea behind PBR is that the developer can add multiple properties to any material and with dynamic lighting the effects can be awesome or even over done.

Get back in the cockpit and enjoy the scenery from there.
Dan Downs
KCRP
eburt

Post by eburt »

Martyson wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:10 pm
eburt wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:01 pm

All the best,

Ed
Glad to hear your default P3D airports are OK.

As for payware I could test Orbx LOWI and and FSDT KORD.

Do you know if Orbx LOWI is fully developed with PBR (my version may be older)?

I know FSDT KORD is developed fully with PBR.

I am not sure PBR is causing your problem.
I have Orbx LOWI and it's pretty good. Not any issues with that one. KORD I dont have ..so yes please ..if you can test that one. My biggest problem was FSDT CYVR, which you can see in one of the shots. EGLL has the weird colors.

Dan: Yes I think the detail is a bit overdone. Those images are taken from the left seat in the 738. I shouldn't be able to see that kind of detail ..at least in my opinion. My zoom is at .99 in order to get the proper perspective from the 738 cockpit. I can live with it, but I'm worried all the extra detail is taking up lots of resources , so I'd really love to find a way to tone the detail down a bit.

It could very well be a visual setting in my setup somewhere...I was just hoping someone else had seen this and knew how to solve it.

I guess we'll just leave it at this for now, but I'd still be interested in test results for FSDT KORD.

Thanks for your comments, really appreciate,

Best Regards,

Ed
Best Regards,
Ed Burton

Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Ed,

A FSDT KORDv2 review has some shots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5Bu3ONOQwk
Best Regards,
eburt

Post by eburt »

Martyson wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:20 pm Ed,

A FSDT KORDv2 review has some shots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5Bu3ONOQwk
Nice Video. Thanks. I do see some of the purple hues that I have in EGLL and CYVR so this may be a normal thing. I'll double check my settings. I'm wondering if I have resolution set too high. Those shots I posted were not as bad as it gets. I have seen far worse, just didn't capture them. Even in real I should not be able to see such detail in the cracks in the tarmac, imho. It's like I have a microscope to my eye as I taxi. The scenery in the distance..tower..terminals etc..all look great, it's just the immediate out front view that seems to be over detailed. I'll do another in depth review of my settings and see how it goes. If I manage to come up with anything positive I will report back.
Best Regards,
Ed Burton