ControllableCamera v4.5 'automatically created'?

SDK supports Prepar3D’s philosophy of an open development architecture and encourages third parties to bring new innovations with improved add-ons and training content.
MS1787C

ControllableCamera v4.5 'automatically created'?

Post by MS1787C »

I've just read the following with interest on the v4.5 features list re: controllable camera, and wanted to ask if anyone could provide some more detail here (I know the team are busy, but this would be very useful):

A controllable camera is now automatically created when any corresponding variable is requested from an XML gauge or Scaleform.

What does the above mean in practice? I've been experimenting with CC for a good while now, modifying the .dll from the TargetingPod sample, but have long wanted to get rid of the .dll entirely and create/control a camera using XML solely. Does the above make this possible? If so, what's the syntax?
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: ControllableCamera v4.5 'automatically created'?

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

Yes, the creation of the camera will be done when any corresponding custom variables are called. This will link to the current view. If you need a specific RTT view or secondary view linked you may still need to register using the PDK. The syntax will be C:P3DCONTROLLABLECAMERA:FUNCTION_NAME

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
MS1787C

Post by MS1787C »

Thank you very much Rob, this is most appreciated. Out of interest, and for the avoidance of doubt (though I guess the above answers it) was there ever an operation for registering a CC view, using the PDK, within an XML gauge? e.g. "CameraViewName" (>C:P3DCONTROLLABLECAMERA:Init). I'm presuming no, as I've tried to no avail, and the documentation does not suggest as much either.
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

No, currently that's not supported. You'd need to use the PDK directly to do any custom initialization for the camera.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead