Addon xml and World/Scenery

SDK supports Prepar3D’s philosophy of an open development architecture and encourages third parties to bring new innovations with improved add-ons and training content.
vgbaron

Addon xml and World/Scenery

Post by vgbaron »

For the most part I'm grasping the concepts of installing addons with the add_on.xml method but there is one thing I canot wrap my head around.

Some addons have custom xyztraffic.blg files that are supposed to be placed in the Scenery/World/Scenery folder.

I'm trying to determine how I would specify this using the xml format.

Thanx,

Vic
WarpD

Re: Addon xml and World/Scenery

Post by WarpD »

You would declare them as WORLD scenery types. My understanding is that by doing so you are adding an additional World folder for the sim to reference.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

All the ALT altitude change .bgl's go there also, ...no idea..been trying a few things like Layer = 1 , layer World (hangs P3D) , etc...
Jorge
Jorge Roldan
OZx Developer (aero) - Hovercontrol Helicopter Certified Pilot - Spad.Next Beta Tester - VATPAC Pilot PR
System i9-9990 4.7Ghz 32GB W11 Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 8GB
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Sorry Ed missed your post , but type only applies to Textures..

Jorge
Jorge Roldan
OZx Developer (aero) - Hovercontrol Helicopter Certified Pilot - Spad.Next Beta Tester - VATPAC Pilot PR
vgbaron

Post by vgbaron »

I also use MyTraffic and that installs at layer 114 according to others so I'm trying the other scenery right above it as it's boat traffic. So far seems ok but the instructions to put in World puzzles me. Under the old method I would just have copied the files to Scenery/World/Scenery and been done with it.

Vic
vgbaron

Post by vgbaron »

Would that be considered a Base Layer?

Vic
Pease_W

Post by Pease_W »

I believe traffic files can go into any active scenery folder and still be recognized/utilized. It also keeps them out of the default folder structure, should updates or uninstall/reinstall come along.

Same for airport elevation change files, they can (and should IMO) be placed into a separate scenery folder and activated into the scenery library. The only requirement is that these 'change' files be read before the default file(s), which are in the \scenery\#### folders.

Getting them out of the default folder serves to alleviate one small problem, if you think you have an elevation issue how do you turn off the \World folder? It's required and the only option is to exit P3D, surf to the folder, rename the file and restart P3D. Then when you are happy it wasn't *that* file, you get to exit P3D, surf to the folder, rename the file to make it active and restart P3D. Wash, rinse and dry over and over again. Or if the elevation change files are in their own folder, you untick the layer in the Scenery Library, click OK and see results a lot faster.
vgbaron

Post by vgbaron »

Well. I'm still trying to determine at what layer to put files that normally are installed into the World/Scenery folder.

The add-on.xml format allows you to select a layer but what layer would the world/scenery file be considered? Even if it goes "outside" of W/S - what would be that layer?

Vic
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Well I have a scenery that needs an elevation file YCCT_ADEX_aero_ALT.BGL with this file in scenery\world\scenery the problem is solved. I tried now placing this file in the top priority, inside the scenery folder of the YCCT scenery, in layer 1 ,114...nothing. When I set Layer=114 it appeared in the midlle of my Sceneri Lib GUI, then I saw maybe just above the two base and World and VOILA!!! it works... Layer =3 did the trick, I see now why layer=1 did not work as it points to a layer that is greyed out.(active=true required=true) and wont change its priority.

Hope this help..

Jorge
Jorge Roldan
vgbaron

Post by vgbaron »

Thanks Jorge - I see it now. Layer 2 would then be the lowest point that would be considered in the World/Scenery folder.
I was getting wrapped up in the difference between folders and layers
kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth »

aeronauta wrote: Well I have a scenery that needs an elevation file YCCT_ADEX_aero_ALT.BGL with this file in scenery\world\scenery the problem is solved. I tried now placing this file in the top priority, inside the scenery folder of the YCCT scenery, in layer 1 ,114...nothing. When I set Layer=114 it appeared in the midlle of my Sceneri Lib GUI, then I saw maybe just above the two base and World and VOILA!!! it works... Layer =3 did the trick, I see now why layer=1 did not work as it points to a layer that is greyed out.(active=true required=true) and wont change its priority.
Interesting, I tried to add the Earth Sims Scilly Isles tonight using add-on.xml
It also uses an elevation file EGHE_StMarys_ALT.BGL which used to go in Scenery/World/Scenery

I tried adding it as layer 3 as suggested - but it didn't work.
I also then as a test placed it in Scenery/World/Scenery and it didn't work there either? :s

Has anyone got the Scilly Isles working correctly in v4 please?
vgbaron wrote: Thanks Jorge - I see it now. Layer 2 would then be the lowest point that would be considered in the World/Scenery folder.
I was getting wrapped up in the difference between folders and layers
Did that work for you then Vic please?

Cheers K
vgbaron

Post by vgbaron »

Yes Kevin as far as the traffic bgl files go. I had no elevation files to deal with however.

Vic
kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth »

Don't know why it didn't work for me but I deleted shaders and restarted the sim and ta-da the elevation ALT file works fine. ES-Scilly Isles is now working fine apart from some weird effects. I need to go through and try and debug the contenterror.log reports on them now.. :)
markm75

Post by markm75 »

Curious, so what was the verdict on the best way to handle those world scenery entries? Is the only way to manually add via scenery.cfg or can the add-on xml be used somehow to override that world layer.

I thought the category of global or world was the way but seems as mentioned that's only for textures.

I'm trying to make it so on a disk wipe there isn't much to do to get things working quickly.
Tech, the Universe, Everything www.tech-stew.com
Just Plane Crazy www.flight-stew.com