Determine Olson Land Class at a Location

Discuss on the SimConnect SDK can be used by programmers to write add-on components for Prepar3D
SJT

Determine Olson Land Class at a Location

Post by SJT »

Hi,

I'm developing an app in which I need to determine the land class type at a given map lat/long location.

Using SimConnect, I can call RequestGroundInfo, and from the SIMCONNECT_DATA_GROUND_INFO datas returned, I can get the surface type. That gives me an approximation to Olson Land classifications - but it's not exactly the same. eSurfaceType is really oriented more towards the type of surface at an airport (typically) than it is with the actual land class though it does additionally have rock and forest (not typical runway surfaces !!) as surface types.

The landclasses are pretty much defined in ThermalDescriptions.xml, as well as in the Learning Center documentation under "Terrain". Those are what I am trying to get at, but I am completely lost as to how to get at them from SimConnect - if it is at all possible. ThermalDescriptions.xml alludes to there being an association with Simconnect.WeatherCreateThermal - but I can't find a relationship at all.

I've now been round the Learning Center many times, and researched other forums as much as possible - and come up with nothing. I'm now completely stuck, apart from "living with" using eSurfaceType and creating my own lookup table approximation. I don't really want to do that. Can anyone help me with this, please?
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: Determine Olson Land Class at a Location

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

Unfortunately there is currently no way to query for this information through SimConnect.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
SJT

Re: Determine Olson Land Class at a Location

Post by SJT »

Thanks Rob. It's nice at least to be able to stop banging my head on this brick wall!! But is there any other way of getting at it? TmfViewer must use location. Is that a possible "in", I wonder ?