WeatherSetMode SimConnect functions

Discuss on the SimConnect SDK can be used by programmers to write add-on components for Prepar3D
Opus Software

WeatherSetMode SimConnect functions

Post by Opus Software »

WeatherSetModeCustom SimConnect function

Use of the SimConnect WeatherSetModeCustom function kills any local precipitation. This function in FSX, FSX Steam, and all earlier Prepar3D versions simply changes the weather mode to Custom 'without' changing or having any effect on the current injected or thematic weather or its appearance on the screen.

WeatherSetModeTheme SimConnect Function

This function provides by far the preferred method of injecting and defining the regions weather, as such it would be nice to have a more efficient and more versatile 'SetModeTheme' function within the PDK.

The WeatherSetModeTheme function really needs some means to update 'distant' weather or update the region's weather with no visible changes (cloud shifting) experienced locally around the users aircraft.

At present, even if there are absolutely no changes to the local weather's cloud type, layers, or extent, injecting a weather theme always results in the individual clouds being redrawn and hence the visible cloud shifts.

The requested updates could be achieved in many ways. For example, by specifying a 'no change' distance in the function call, or by marking individual 16km cells within the theme as 'no change' cells, or perhaps by specifying the latitude/longitude coordinates marking the centre of the theme. The last method would require several 'distant' themes to be injected to completely define the remote weather so either of the first two methods would be preferred.

If it would help I am happy to provide some weather theme WTB files or software for you to test with. I'm sure I speak for all in saying keep up the excellent work.

Regards
Stephen Percy
Opus Software Limited
mail@opussoftware.co.uk
Adam Breed
Lockheed Martin

Re: WeatherSetMode SimConnect functions

Post by Adam Breed »

Opus Software wrote: Use of the SimConnect WeatherSetModeCustom function kills any local precipitation. This function in FSX, FSX Steam, and all earlier Prepar3D versions simply changes the weather mode to Custom 'without' changing or having any effect on the current injected or thematic weather or its appearance on the screen.
Hi Stephen,

In what Prepar3D version do you believe this behavior changed?

In regards to the other comments - are you saying those also changed from FSX or are they more a feature request?

Regards,
Adam
Prepar3D® Engineering Project Manager
Opus Software

Re: WeatherSetMode SimConnect functions

Post by Opus Software »

Hi Adam,

I think it changed with the P3D version 3 release as I'm still calling the WeatherSetModeCustom function after injecting a 'dynamic' weather theme on all P3D version 2 and FSX systems (I first reported the change on 12th December 2015 so I would have noticed the change some time before that).

With regard to the WeatherSetModeTheme SimConnect function this is a request for a feature change or enhancement.

Regards
Stephen