3DSM 2017 Animation Problem

For topics related to the creation of simulation objects (SimObjects). This includes development of aircraft, ground, and maritime vehicles.
aeronauta

3DSM 2017 Animation Problem

Post by aeronauta »

I am using 3DSM 2017 , p3d 3.4.22.19868 and same SDK, create a basic shape , animate 0-360 in 6 steps, tag with ambient (type=standard), export .x and .xanim files OK.
Xtomdl produces a .mdl , add to P3D , the Model shows OK and the animation works.
If I select any other animation tag of type=Sim the model shows but the animation does not work ...(created my own and used the rudder example to no avail )
My own is as follows (and appears in the animation list)

<Animation name="aero_WindsockD" guid="8dc808f1-cafb-4787-9c3b-624b19b22d20" type="Sim" TypeParam="AutoPlay"/>

<PartInfo>
<Name>aero_WindsockD</Name>
<AnimLength>360</AnimLength>
<Animation>
<Parameter>
<Sim>
<Variable>AMBIENT WIND DIRECTION</Variable>
<Units>Degrees</Units>
<Scale>1.0</Scale>
<Bias>180</Bias>
</Sim>
</Parameter>
</Animation>
</PartInfo>

any advise will be greatly rewarded!!

Jorge
Jorge Roldan
OZx Developer (aero) - Hovercontrol Helicopter Certified Pilot - Spad.Next Beta Tester - VATPAC Pilot PR
System i9-9990 4.7Ghz 32GB W11 Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 8GB
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Re: 3DSM 2017 Animation Problem

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hi Jorge,

It looks like you are trying to use a simulation based animation on a scenery object. Is that correct? This is unfortunately not currently supported.

Thanks.
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer Sr.
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

OOps, thank you Clifton, yes I am trying to create an animated windsock... is there any other way?

Jorge
Jorge Roldan
OZx Developer (aero) - Hovercontrol Helicopter Certified Pilot - Spad.Next Beta Tester - VATPAC Pilot PR
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Post by Clifton Crane »

Unfortunately only the "Ambient" animation type is currently valid for scenery objects. It would be possible to create an animated SimObject that could then be placed in the scene (i.e. via SimConnect or a Structured Scenario), however I do not believe animation based on wind speed/direction is currently possible for scenery objects.
Clifton Crane
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Thank you Clifton..

regards Jorge
Jorge Roldan
simbiosi

Post by simbiosi »

Why not use SODE, create some simobjects of a Windsock, in different state of wind, then use XML to call them.
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hello,

In Prepar3D v4, developers now have the ability to script Scenery Object animations, visibility, and materials using the new Object Variables. This list can be found in the Learning Center in the Object Variables article. This list includes variables for the object's location as well as weather information. Other non-simulation based variables are also available to Scenery Objects (i.e. Environment Variables and Local Variables).

It is important to note that the animation type in the modeldef.xml file should be set to "Sim" instead of "Standard". Also, the <Sim> section of the animation or visibility script cannot be used for Scenery Objects. Developers must the <Code> section.

Thanks.
Clifton Crane