Short Period Oscillation

For topics related to the creation of simulation objects (SimObjects). This includes development of aircraft, ground, and maritime vehicles.
sesc360

Short Period Oscillation

Post by sesc360 »

Dear all,

Is P3D able to simulate Short Period Oscillation?

"With no special name, the shorter period mode is called simply the "short-period mode". The short-period mode is a usually heavily damped oscillation with a period of only a few seconds. The motion is a rapid pitching of the aircraft about the center of gravity. The period is so short that the speed does not have time to change, so the oscillation is essentially an angle-of-attack variation. The time to damp the amplitude to one-half of its value is usually on the order of 1 second. Ability to quickly self damp when the stick is briefly displaced is one of the many criteria for general aircraft certification."

This is crucial for certification of a Simulator we build.

THanks
Sebastian
Mike Schroeter
Lockheed Martin

Re: Short Period Oscillation

Post by Mike Schroeter »

The short answer is yes, although it is completely dependent on the flight dynamic modeling for the particular airplane. A modeler knowledgeable in aerodynamic tuning and familiar with Prepar3D's data formats should be able to do this.

Mike
sesc360

Post by sesc360 »

So the only plane that is relevant to me is the PMDG 737. Due to the depth, I would think this is modelled.... but no one knows that for sure by any chance?
Kayla Dillon

Post by Kayla Dillon »

Hello,

It might be fruitful to contact the developers of the PMDG 737 with your inquiry. I'm sure they would have a more conclusive answer pertaining their specific aircraft.

Regards,
Kayla
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

I'd be surprised if they can interact with PMDG regarding this. I don't believe their addon aircraft are allowed in commercial training systems.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation