In which SimConnect variable/event is the information stored?

For topics related to the creation of simulation objects (SimObjects). This includes development of aircraft, ground, and maritime vehicles.
maartenvd84

In which SimConnect variable/event is the information stored?

Post by maartenvd84 »

Hi,

I'm writing software that interacts with SimConnect to get/set information... which will in a later phase be used in my DIY home cockpit (by interacting with Arduino boards).
While already a big part of the cockpit controls and annunciators is matched to the right SimConnect variables/events ... I still have some controls/annunciator for which I don't see how to map them in SimConnect.

The model will be a Beech King Air 350i ... (currently using the Milviz product, hoping the final version will have a better/correct SimConnect implementation).

FYI: I found this 'flashcard' to understand what each annunciator represents and what triggers it (http://www.flashcardmachine.com/king-air-350.html) which was very useful.

But... still some open points in the RED annunciators:
  • L BLEED FAIL
  • R BLEED FAIL
Illumination indicates melted or failed plastic bleed air failure warning line. Monitor during engine start. Either engine extinguishes both annunciators upon starting.
These annunciators may also momentarily illuminate during simultaneous wing boot and brake deice operation at low N1 speeds. If annunciators immediately extinguish, disregard.

Many thanks!
Maarten
WarpD

Re: In which SimConnect variable/event is the information stored?

Post by WarpD »

There is no variable in the sim for those indicators. There is no bleed air failure.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
maartenvd84

Post by maartenvd84 »

Thanks Ed! That's unfortunate, I wanted to see the entire panel light up light a Christmas tree when sh*t hits the fan ... but I'll have to do it with less lights than :) . Probably these will not be the last ones that are not supported. Either way, thanks again.
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

There is so much more to why those annunciators light than just something going wrong.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
maartenvd84

Post by maartenvd84 »

Honestly, I do want to understand why these light up (although for some it is quite obvious) ... but it's not always easy to find this information on the internet.
105OE

Post by 105OE »

WarpD wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:04 pm There is so much more to why those annunciators light than just something going wrong.
But only if they are not amber or red ;)
My airplane art:
https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/bernt-stolle
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

Not true at all. Having done a full blown AATD of the 350i for flight training, I know what triggers all of those indicators and when. Even amber and red are not triggered only by things going wrong. There's a reason for type-training. LOL
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
105OE

Post by 105OE »

WarpD wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:20 pm Even amber and red are not triggered only by things going wrong.
That's interesting. Example please?
My airplane art:
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

Turning OFF the bleed air will result in a bleed air fail indication... despite the fact you actually turned it off intentionally. The annunciator doesn't know the difference between the actual air being off and the line being ruptured. Both results in a pressure level that triggers the annunciator. The pilot will know the difference because the L & R bleed air off annunciators will be lit as well.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
105OE

Post by 105OE »

It’s irrelevant if there’s a bleed line rupture or if the pilot has turned the bleed air off.
Fact is that the essential bleed supply isn’t available, something which requires immediate action from the pilot.
Nothing fancy or special going on concerning the trigger.

One doesn’t need a type-training (type rating) to find out when a caution/warning message appears.
Reading the relevant chapter in the associated manual provides all the necessary info.
Again, red and amber caution/warnings only come on if there’s something seriously wrong, regardless of who or what is responsible for it.

It is essential that the warning/caution light logic is easy to follow and not complicated.

Things are getting more interesting if e.g. a bleed air fail message comes on together with an engine fire indiction, as a good pilot with detailed system knowledge can draw important conclusions in case of multiple failures.
But that’s not something you learn in a type rating course or with just a few hours on type.
My airplane art:
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

LOL... that isn't even remotely correct regarding knowledge of how systems actually function on an aircraft.

Since you're intent appears to be to argue... I'll depart this topic.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
105OE

Post by 105OE »

WarpD wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:42 pmI'll depart this topic.

[REMOVED]

I have no idea why you want to make people believe that there has to be something sophisticated or complicated going on in the background, especially as you are talking about a rather basic old GA turboprop and not an A330 etc.

[REMOVED
Last edited by Poppet on Mon May 01, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary remarks. The Op's question has been answered. Topic locked
My airplane art: