OpenPanelAction w/ external panels

Discussion related to Mission design and creation.
thompsonpeters

OpenPanelAction w/ external panels

Post by thompsonpeters »

Re: this topic - http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101611
Beau Hollis wrote:I don't think this is possible currently because script actions basically rely on a true/false kind of result to fire. You could check for certain altitude ranges, and create text for each, but that is not likely what you want. You could make a global mission gauge (defined in gauges\missionpanels.cfg) that displays custom text using lua. Then you could use a panel open action to display your text gauge and it would not require modifying panel.cfg files for different aircraft.
The indication is that you can use an OpenPanelAction to reference a panel that's not part of the panel.cfg for the aircraft that's assigned to UserOwnship (or whatever aircraft is selected at the time the action fires), in this case, referencing one of the panels defined in missionpanels.cfg.

I don't understand how to do this, and would like to. As far as I can tell, OpenPanelAction's PanelID field only looks at the panels defined in a specific aircraft's panel.cfg, serialized from 0 to whatever the highest number window is defined. It doesn't seem to accept the panel "ident" field nor does it serialize the global (mission panels) in order after the panels specific to the aircraft.

It'd be useful to have a way to define global panels like this (especially since Scaleform is deprecated), and I came across the abovementioned topic looking for a way to do just that, but it stops short of actually answering that question. Any help would be appreciated.
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: OpenPanelAction w/ external panels

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

Currently this action is restricted to only the vehicle's panels. We can look into removing this restriction in our next update so mission panels and UI panels can be opened with this action.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
David Love-Brice

Post by David Love-Brice »

Hi Rob,

Are there any plans to extend this to opening [Window] entries as well? I'd love to be able to open up a custom VC view or external view as part of a structured mission.
David Love-Brice
Prepar3D Courseware Lead, AIR 5428
Lockheed Martin Australia
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hi David,

This won't work with VC panels as they are views that are rendered on a texture. Standard windows can be opened by name using the ViewWindow object.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
Raynald1

Post by Raynald1 »

Is there a way to open a Scaleform Object when the students wants it?

For example, I know how to open a Scaleform Object as part of a scenario when I think the student needs it (checklist).
I would like the student to press a button on his joystick to open the Scaleform airport diagram in VR when he wants to look at it and then close it.

Thanks

Ray
Ray Bedard
True Course Simulations
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hi Ray,

We added a ControlEventTrigger in v4.5. This can be assigned to any Prepar3D control event and trigger an action.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
Raynald1

Post by Raynald1 »

Rob

Wow! That sure opens a world of possibilities.
I will play with that new toy.

Thanks

Ray
Ray Bedard
True Course Simulations
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hi Ray,

Glad to hear, let us know what you think!

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
Raynald1

Post by Raynald1 »

Rob

It is brilliant!!!
I programmed quickly it to open an airport diagram when I press the brakes. The possibilities are endless. Well done!
Thanks

Ray

P.S. I hope I can meet you in person at the SimExpo in Orlando in June.
Ray Bedard
True Course Simulations