How do I load a .bgl I've previously made into P3D?

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
Flyzal

How do I load a .bgl I've previously made into P3D?

Post by Flyzal »

Hi everyone, I'm new to flight sims in general so please excuse my inexperience.

I've recently made adjustments to an airport in Airport Design Editor(ADE) and exported my .bgl file. My question is, how do I properly replace the existing airport within the P3D library with my new updated one?

An important related question is where do I put my bgl files? I've watched a couple of youtube videos and read some forums posts, and they generally agree that it should be in the C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Scenery\Addon Scenery folder. However, when I navigated through this path, I found no 'Addon Scenery' folder. Should I create one? And then I also heard I should create a 'texture' and 'scenery' folder within the 'Addon Scenery' folder, so I'm a little confused. I've tried doing this method but to no avail.

Another question I have is how to I automatically detect what location my new airport is in, and then go to it? So far, the only way I can do that is to go the Prepar3D Scenario Setup screen > Location: > Change Location and then enter the coordinates.

Is there a way to change the coordinates input from DMS(the one with the North South etc) to simple DD(JUST numerical values)?

Finally, I'd like to be able to just navigate the airport runways without neccesarily knowing how to fly the plane. What are the basic controls to go forwards, backwards, left, right, up and down while in the scenario? Thank you!
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: How do I load a .bgl I've previously made into P3D?

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

I recommend taking a look through our Learning Center documentation here: https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/LearningCenter.php. There are sections that cover scenery development as well as basic controls.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
Flyzal

Re: How do I load a .bgl I've previously made into P3D?

Post by Flyzal »

Thanks Rob.

I've figured out how to answer most of the questions I've asked, if anyone can fill in those I'm still unsure of, it would be greatly appreciated.

How do I properly replace the existing airport within the P3D library with my new updated one?

IN WINDOWS EXPLORER:
- Go to C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Scenery
- Create a new folder called 'Addon Scenery'
- Go into it and create 2 new folders, 'scenery' and 'texture'
- Copy your .bgl file from where you saved it (in my case it's C:\MSFS\FS Design Tools\Airport Design Editor 175\P34\Projects)
- Paste it into the 'scenery' folder

IN P3D:
- Scenery > Add Area... > Browse > Choose C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Scenery\Addon Scenery
- 'Scenery are title:' field should automatically be filled in with 'Addon Scenery'
- In the list, the 'Addon Scenery' should be under 'Scenery Area' column as priority 1
- OK

Where do I put my bgl files?
- C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Scenery\Addon Scenery\scenery
- refer to above for more in depth steps

How to I automatically detect what location my new airport is in, and then go to it?
IN P3D:
LOCATION > Change Airport... > Type in ICAO ID or Airport name to narrow down options in the list

Is there a way to change the coordinates input from DMS to DD?
Unknown
Try to avoid doing this as this will result in problems such as plane not aligning with runway properly, being partially submerged in the ground, crashing on startup, etc.

How do I navigate the airport runways without necessarily knowing how to fly the plane?
Y - Turn on Slew Mode, red text will appear at Top Left Corner
Optional: F11 to see 3PV or plane

F3 - increase speed to go higher
F4 - increase speed to go higher FASTER
F1 - increase speed to go lower till you hit the ground

F2 - STOP HEIGHT

Disable Numpad to navigate, make sure Pause is off
8 - increase speed forward
2 - increase speed backward
4 - increase speed left
6 - increase speed right

5 - STOP MOVING ALL