[RESOLVED] P3Dv4: CTD while clicking Do Effect in FXTool

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
Manschy

[RESOLVED] P3Dv4: CTD while clicking Do Effect in FXTool

Post by Manschy »

Hallo everybody,

just to say, I am very happy each day using the v4 - such an improvement in comparison to FSX I worked with for so long.
But there is one thing I cannot solve by myself - it's the challenge to try to insert a simple light effect in v4 with FXTools.
Each time I click "Do Effect" or tick "Show location", my PC crashes to desktop. This happens no matter what values I use or which options I tick. It happens at any scenery I am trying to add a light effect.
1. I have installed the latest SDK version in C:\Lockheed Martin
2. I copied and pasted the Visual FX Tool folder into my ...documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\ folder

P3Dv4 works perfectly without any problems except for using this tool - smooth and properly. I think there must be a path issue or some other problem when FX Tool tries to show the effect (maybe a setting issue with my graphics card).

Do you know these issues or some solution to it?
Each help or hint is much appreciated.

Best regards,
Manfred
Manschy

Re: P3Dv4: CTD while clicking Do Effect in FXTool

Post by Manschy »

Wow, wow - just another scoop:

Just tried again to "Do Effekt" and I noticed some of my Addons (for example "AiCarriers") ist gone!!!!
So there seems to be a harder problem not with the effect itself, but with the placement and its behaviour while crashing.

That's very weird...
Adam Breed
Lockheed Martin

Post by Adam Breed »

Hi Manschy,

It could be related to permissions or file rights.

Do you still see the issue if you right click on the .exe and select Run as administrator?

Regards,
Adam
Prepar3D® Engineering Project Manager
Manschy

Post by Manschy »

Hi Adam,

thank you for answer!
Yes, for a long time, I always use the option "run as admin" in all heavily used programmes. Since FS9 I have lots of experiences with not running exes or mismatched programmes ;-D
But each hint is welcome - What about FXTool? Is there an .exe file existing somewhere? I only copied and pasted it like suggested from the SDK right into my v4 Addon Folder.
If so, I could go to the appropriate FXTool.exe and change the rights to admin there. Maybe this could help me.

It's a weird thing - there are really few user with this same issue. Just for repair this situation, I am scared of reinstalling the flightsim from scratch - It runs too smooth and without any other mistakes actually. And there are many addons installed (ORBX for example with lots of GBs....)
Hmm - I will try to understand what's being responsible for the previews blocking...
Manschy

Post by Manschy »

Hi everybody,

this weekend, I installed the latest P3Dv4 client.msi, and I have to say, surprisingly preview mode seems to work now. So indeed, there seems to be a deeper issue inside my settings - path, xml contents whatever. So thank you all for support, now I will wait for my next problems ;-DDD