Disappearing fences

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
rsubers2

Disappearing fences

Post by rsubers2 »

I have a problem where sometimes I end up with boundary fences which disappear when viewed from certain angles. I have tried adjusting the airport/runway altitude and placing in large flattens and even forcing the surrounding terrain to be different. As part of troubleshooting I have tried setting the airport to 0 ft and disabling all but base, world and 0000 sceneries and the problem still occurs. The identical problem occurs with different types (GUIDs) of boundary fences.

Anyone fought with this and won?
Larry_R

Re: Disappearing fences

Post by Larry_R »

I'm not sure if this applies in your case but anytime there are overlapping transparencies there is a potential for trouble. P3D v3 and 4 do a much better job with this than FSX or P3D v2, but it's still an issue. Among other things it affects Orbx streetlights when in front of clouds, fences or railings in front of other railings or other transparenices, even effects. Typically it is viewing angle dependent. There usually is a solution but it can be sim dependent and there does not seem to be any logic that applies to all sims. At least I have not found one.

Often the problem can be solved by putting the affected textures on different texture sheets and setting z write alpha to false in the material settings of one of the two overlapping textures. Sometimes other material changes can help. For me, it's often been a matter of trial and error and what works for FSX may not work for P3D v2 and what works for P3D v2 may not work for v3 and 4. In general I've had far fewer problems with v4 and most of the time I don't have to fiddle with material settings. However I have not been able to solve one particular issue where an effect for an AI boat disappears when in front of a DXT5 texture and the camera is abaft of abeam of the boat. It would be great if this could be resolved.
Orbx Developer
Gigabyte GA z270x-ud5 mobo, Intel i7 7700k 4.2GHz, Corsair DDR4 3866 16 gig, Gigabyte Raedon VII, Win 10, Evo 960 NvMe 2TB FSX, P3D v3.4, v4.x, v5.x
rsubers2

Re: Disappearing fences

Post by rsubers2 »

This is just using a plan vanilla boundary fence, not something I created.