Extracting data from BGL and Aerodromes

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
DaveyDave

Extracting data from BGL and Aerodromes

Post by DaveyDave »

Hi All,
I have a couple of question I hoped some of you guys could comment on.

1). What prospect is there of extracting geographic information from existing airports in P3D? For example, if I wanted to extract or examine information about the position of runways, taxiways etc.... can I do that either by doing a BGL->XML conversion or by using some form of scenery builder tool to examine them?

2). I had read somewhere that all airports in P3D are completely flat. ie. no changes in terrain elevation. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for any pointers,
Dave
Pease_W

Re: Extracting data from BGL and Aerodromes

Post by Pease_W »

1. Yes and 2.No, kinda

There are decompilers available that will generate XML code from the BGL files for airports, the APX#####.bgl files. From there you can manipulate/mine the data as you wish. Another option is to use the MakeRWYs tool by the devloper of FSUIPC. It will generate runways, parking data, etc.

For the 'kinda' answer above, all default airports sit on a flatten, which is of uniform elevation. This allows the default ATC system to use the field, if so designed. Any airport could be non-flat, but would lose the abilty to have ATC function. Unless someone got brave and programmed their own ATC tool to take over a field/area.