P3D VR Fixed at 40FPS?

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
ToastedVengeance

P3D VR Fixed at 40FPS?

Post by ToastedVengeance »

Hello,
I hope all's well.

Having wiped everything of my former P3D build and addons, I am in the process of rebuilding it all. One thing I've wanted to do is give more focus is towards VR and see if more can be optimised. I use the Oculus Rift S.

Having downloaded the freeware Oculus Tray Tool, I noticed that rather strangely it was reporting to me that the FPS was maxing out consistently at 40.0FPS. I initially thought that this may be due to V-Sync halfing the FPS in my headset(since Rift S runs at 80Hz), but having disabled that nothing changed.

Is this something that can be changed? It seems that this is a hard limit that has been imposed somewhere, and I can't seem to find it. Further, I haven't found any forums talking about this, so perhaps it's just me.

Cheers,
Peter
powayjoe

Re: P3D VR Fixed at 40FPS?

Post by powayjoe »

It’s because your system as well as anyone’s for that matter can’t maintain 80 fps for both lenses and therefore Oculus drops it to 40 the next logical multiple of 80. This is fine and works well. If you can’t maintain 40 in each lense it will drop to the next multiple ie divide by 3 which is approximately 27 fps. Make sure you don’t have your P3D settings too high and use Single Pass Rendering setting in P3D. Also use the Oculus debug tool to disable ASW and set Pixel Density to 1.5 to 1.7 depending on your system specs.

Good luck
Joe
I9-9900KS 5.1GHz, RTX 2080 FTW3 Hybrid, Trident 32GB DDR4 3200 C14, EVO 970 2TB M.2, Corsair AX-850, Gigabyte A-390 Master, HP Reverb G2, 40 inch 4K Screen at 30 Hz, VKB Gunfighter, Virpil Moongoost 50,MFG Crosswind Pedals, CP, Linda, VA, FFTF, P2ATC