Rotating beacon

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
N697DT

Rotating beacon

Post by N697DT »

It seems like in previous MSFS's the rotating beacon could be seen flashing from miles away. The only time I seem to see the beacon is if I'm sitting on the ground next to it. Is there a setting or something I'm missing?
Thanks!
Topgone

Re: Rotating beacon

Post by Topgone »

Im also having the same problem, mine also is missing the white dynamic lights.
n85988

Post by n85988 »

I noticed mine aren't even rotating.
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

Are you seeing this issues after updating the 4.5 content?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
gsand

Post by gsand »

Hi Rob,
I have the vis problem but also a size issue. All the beacon halos seem big and when I'm about 1nm away they get gigantic then disappear:

Updated Client and Content only over 4.4 running great. Deleted Content and re-installed x2 with no change. I have most ORBX and this is everywhere, stock airports as well. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Not trying to hijack the thread so if you want me to open a separate topic I'll be glad to.

Thanks,
Gerald
i7 8700K 6-Core 3.7GHz (4.7GHz TurboBoost); ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I Gaming ; 11GB GTX 1080 Ti; 32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3000MHz; Win10 Pro 64; P3D 4.5
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Are you seeing this issue after updating the client and content to v4.5?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
ejoiner

Post by ejoiner »

Yes you can see this issue in pure 4.5 clean install, which is what I did. Fly over Hurlburt field at night. You'll see it.
rlipoff

Post by rlipoff »

I'm seeing the short-range disappearing problem too. Are the white/green/yellow light effects tied to the beacon object's visibility in a new way after 4.5? As in, when outside the object's max visibility radius, the effect also disappears? The effects themselves have "Visible Range" set to 1.0 and 10.0 km for the different emitters--obviously much less than it should be, that may also be the issue. Not sure if the effects were updated with 4.5.

The white effect also way overpowers green/yellow, so it doesn't even look like it's rotating, just a big white blob--visible from all angles, not just when pointing at the user's viewpoint. I think some of the effects' settings weren't updated with the new version to ensure the same appearance.
N697DT

Post by N697DT »

I appreciate P3D adding the rotating beacon to 4.5, however, I still think it is missing the "flash" as seen from a distance of 10-15 miles out. I could swear one of the older versions of MSFS had this feature. Thanks for listening to consumers wishes and making this forum available.
freddy_

Post by freddy_ »

Before moving to P3D, I ran FSX. I have been running P3D since about April (2019). I have P3Dv4.5 with Hotfix 1.

For me, on the ground, at the airport, the beacons work fine ... they rotate normally, I see both white (or is it yellow?) and green lights, and they are bright. However, from the air it's a different story.

In FSX I recall being able to search for, and find, airports at night, based on seeing the beacon flash from a good distance away (yes, perhaps 10nm to 15nm). It seemed quite realistic to me. However, since changing to P3D, I can only find airports at night when I am literally almost right on top of them. And, it's usually the runway lights that I spot, not the beacon. I simply don't see the rotating beacons at all in P3D until I am essentially on finals. In fact, as I write this, I cannot even recall if I see them on downwind or base when I am in the landing pattern. For me, the realism I remember from FSX of being able to look for, and see, the airport beacons at night, thus helping to verify my position and validate my pattern approach planning, has been completely lost in P3D. The problem is exacerbated in low visibility/fog conditions.

Perhaps this has something to do with it? I installed P3Dv4.5 before the Hotfix was released. I then subsequently installed the Hotfix, client only, but not content and not scenery. Would I be seeing the beacon differently (ie, from further out) if I had done a full uninstall and reinstall of v4.5 with Hotfix, from scratch, as opposed to patching the existing v4.5 using just the client installer? I don't know.
N697DT

Post by N697DT »

My experience and question is still the same as Freddy's. You can only see the beacon when you are next to it, then it almost seems too bright. It seems runway strobes are used for night navigation to the airport instead of the beacon. It sure would be cool to see the green-white flash for public airports and the green-white-white flash for military bases. Thank you