Avoiding The Default Flight Planner

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
INeedAStamp

Avoiding The Default Flight Planner

Post by INeedAStamp »

Hello,

I'm curious to know if there is a way to fly IFR and use default ATC while avoiding the default flight planner. The flight planner is quite buggy and frustrating to use for routes of greater distance, at least for me. Until I can get ProAtcX, is there a way I can plan my flight using SkyVector or a similar site and have ATC read it or a way that I can troubleshoot the unusable flight planner?

Thanks,
Bryan
Bryan Harris
Martyson

Re: Avoiding The Default Flight Planner

Post by Martyson »

INeedAStamp wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:44 am Hello,

I'm curious to know if there is a way to fly IFR and use default ATC while avoiding the default flight planner. The flight planner is quite buggy and frustrating to use for routes of greater distance, at least for me. Until I can get ProAtcX, is there a way I can plan my flight using SkyVector or a similar site and have ATC read it or a way that I can troubleshoot the unusable flight planner?

Thanks,
Bryan
Do you want only a freeware flight planner?
Which aircraft are you flying?

What is wrong with letting P3D create a default flight plan and fly it with ATC?

How is the default flight P3D planner buggy for you?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
INeedAStamp

Post by INeedAStamp »

I would like to find either a way to troubleshoot the issues with the default flight planner or a 3rd party flight planner (preferably free) that can be used with the default ATC inside of P3D.

I fly various payware aircraft, PMDG planes for example, and the route you input to the FMC must sync for the route that the sim reads.

The default flight plan often times does not use the waypoints that I want to use or it uses unnecessary waypoints that will take an even less direct course.

When I plan a route and try to drag the route to the waypoint, the route line becomes unclickable for some reason. Also, it seems that whenever the last intersection or VOR in my route is not on the screen and I try to move the route line to another intersection, the map moves with a portion of it turning black. When I place the route on a intersection, it places a custom waypoint away from the intersection that I selected and the map returns to normal. Lastly, the route cannot be dragged to the side to move the map to select a waypoint off of the map, however, this may not be a bug.
Bryan Harris
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

INeedAStamp wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:30 pm I would like to find either a way to troubleshoot the issues with the default flight planner or a 3rd party flight planner (preferably free) that can be used with the default ATC inside of P3D.

I fly various payware aircraft, PMDG planes for example, and the route you input to the FMC must sync for the route that the sim reads.

The default flight plan often times does not use the waypoints that I want to use or it uses unnecessary waypoints that will take an even less direct course.

When I plan a route and try to drag the route to the waypoint, the route line becomes unclickable for some reason. Also, it seems that whenever the last intersection or VOR in my route is not on the screen and I try to move the route line to another intersection, the map moves with a portion of it turning black. When I place the route on a intersection, it places a custom waypoint away from the intersection that I selected and the map returns to normal. Lastly, the route cannot be dragged to the side to move the map to select a waypoint off of the map, however, this may not be a bug.
Bryan,
Ok.
I will try to add a few comments.

Does the default planner and ATC work ok for you with the default P3D aircraft ?
P3D has old Map data (airports, waypoints, ILS's etc) which should be fine for default flight / training.

I also fly PMDG and use payware:
flight planners .... that can export flight plans to PMDG in the proper format
Navdata ... to provides updated Airac data
new scenery / airports with current runways and ILS frequencies
ATC program to fly the advanced aircraft with advanced ATC instructions

As far the Map (panning the map around, dragging a route (edit it) line to a fix etc, I have used it with good results.
I will go find the link to another post in the forum for you to have a look at ... it has some screenshots.
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=130018

Have you researched for freeware / payware products that better match ATC flights / flight planning with advanced aircraft like your PMDG?
Best Regards,
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Bryan,

I noticed here:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 4&t=130032

You mentioned you used PMDG in FSX.

How did you do flight planning with FSX and PMDG?
Best Regards,
INeedAStamp

Post by INeedAStamp »

Well, ATC is not really an issue, perhaps mentioning it may have been a little bit confusing. The default flight planner is the only issue. Back in FSX I used the default planner and input those fixes into the FMC of the 737. Upon looking at the other topic you linked, I am having quite similar issues as he is. The red line becomes very difficult to click or not able to be clicked at all. However, I am able to load up saved flight plans without issue.
Bryan Harris
antonvs

Post by antonvs »

If you havn’t seen this, do a search on “LittleNavMap” you will not be disappointed and its free.
INeedAStamp

Post by INeedAStamp »

Thanks, this looks somewhat like what I had in mind. However when trying to open the newly created .pln file in the P3D flight planner, it clears all of the waypoints and VORs I had selected and make it a direct flight plan. Does this happen for everyone or is it just me?
Bryan Harris
Tobago

Post by Tobago »

That is a known issue, what you need to do is to reload immediately your own saved flight plan over the P3D created one, this should work. Hopefully this will resolved by the next P3D update.