[RESOLVED] Helicopters!!

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
Plainsman

[RESOLVED] Helicopters!!

Post by Plainsman »

V4 comes with a ton of helicopters. I am frustrated that I can't take advantage of them. I can take off and fly them but I can't for the life of me land one without crashing it. Does anyone have a step-by-step to landing helicopters in P3D V4.2? Yes, I had the same problem with V3, V2 and FSX. I'm using a HOTAS, specifically SAITEK X-55. But I've had the same problem with other controllers. I don't know how to land the helicopters. Please help. Maybe there is a "P3D Landing Helicopters Without Crashing for Dummies?"
RCFlyer

Re: Helicopters!!

Post by RCFlyer »

Oh my. It isn't as easy as "telling you how". Helicopters are very different from airplanes, as you have found out. Not to be rude, but, do you know any details concerning helicopter flight dynamics? If not, perhaps you would do well to go to hovercontrol.com and seek some assistance. Those folks are very experienced in helicopter flight (real and sim).

Bests of Luck.

Danny
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Hi Planisman, as you have already discovered Helicopters are very different in flight from planes, as Danny said knowing a bit about helos flight dynamics is important.

The next thing to bear in mind is that you could get a PPL in 20 hours, you need at least 150-200 for a PPLH.

Once with your helo , remember every flight in normal conditions starts and end with a hover , so no getting up in the air and then trying to land , if you cannot hover your landings will be bad (or worst)..to hover the first thing to know is how much collective you need to lift the helo a few inches of the ground ... then keep it there , also as with planes you have to be into the wind , if you are not , just lift it a bit and turn *( using the pedals (pedal turn)) .
Which comes to the main thing it is a lot easyer to fly a helo with pedals , twist joysticks are no good.
One common failure to properly hover is overcontroling resulting in what is called PIO pilot induced oscilations .. that cause all sort of problems, the point here is the cyclic movements should be smooth and small , knowing where the neutral point is and always after a move rerurning to it.

Have a go , when you get it you wont be flying anything else!! and you do'nt need expensive scenery airports to enjoy it..

Jorge
Jorge Roldan
OZx Developer (aero) - Hovercontrol Helicopter Certified Pilot - Spad.Next Beta Tester - VATPAC Pilot PR
System i9-9990 4.7Ghz 32GB W11 Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 8GB
Plainsman

Post by Plainsman »

Yes, I have been using a twist joystick (HOTAS) and crashing every time I try to land. I have pedals but they are connect to a yoke for planes. I don't have a stick set-up with pedals! Where do I get pedals that will work with my Saitek X55 HOTAS?
RCFlyer

Post by RCFlyer »

Your pedals associated with the yoke should work with the joystick. Just program the pedals to control the rudder/tailrotor on the helicopter that you wish to fly. Do you use FSUIPC to control your flight controls?

Danny
Plainsman

Post by Plainsman »

RCFlyer wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 1:50 pm Your pedals associated with the yoke should work with the joystick. Just program the pedals to control the rudder/tailrotor on the helicopter that you wish to fly. Do you use FSUIPC to control your flight controls?

Danny
What is FSUIPC?
RCFlyer

Post by RCFlyer »

Don't worry about FSUIPC at the moment. If you are using P3DV4.2 your rudder pedals should work for helicopters as well as airplanes. You just need to ensure you have the rudder pedals setup via the P3DV4.2 Axis Assignments to control the rudder/tailrotor axis.

Danny
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Plainsman , you may have autorudder ticked in the SIM

Jorge
Jorge Roldan
OZx Developer (aero) - Hovercontrol Helicopter Certified Pilot - Spad.Next Beta Tester - VATPAC Pilot PR
Plainsman

Post by Plainsman »

aeronauta wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:36 pm Plainsman , you may have autorudder ticked in the SIM

Jorge
Yes, I do. I guess that is bad?
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

well depends , it links the joystick to the rudder , in airplanes is OK if you do not have rudder as it makes the turns sincronized .(no slip or slide) .. but in helos it is bad as you need independent control of your tail rotor (it is controlled by the pedals).

Jorge
Jorge Roldan
Plainsman

Post by Plainsman »

aeronauta wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:01 am well depends , it links the joystick to the rudder , in airplanes is OK if you do not have rudder as it makes the turns sincronized .(no slip or slide) .. but in helos it is bad as you need independent control of your tail rotor (it is controlled by the pedals).

Jorge
Got it. Thank you. I will uncheck autorudder.