P3Dv4.2 VR Single Pass Rendering Question

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
powayjoe

P3Dv4.2 VR Single Pass Rendering Question

Post by powayjoe »

Can anyone provide any insight to the seemingly new single pass rendering feature for VR. If I understand this correctly P3D hasn’t enabled this prior to this revision and now it exists for VR. If this is correct I believe it significantly cuts the CPU usage down to render both eyes simultaneously for the Rift.

If I am correct I also assume any 10 series Nvidia graphics card with recent drivers utilizing VRworks it will automatically take advantage of this new feature?

Please advise if you know anything about this topic as I have become an avid VR flier but predominantly with FlyInside since they have optimized rendering requiring lower frame rates and the ability to import windows and use things like opened CDUs etc.. But now with the new Oculus Dash version allowing windows to be imported and if P3D Native VR now takes full advantage of single pass rendering I believe Native VR will win out for me.

Thanks in advance

Joe
I9-9900KS 5.1GHz, RTX 2080 FTW3 Hybrid, Trident 32GB DDR4 3200 C14, EVO 970 2TB M.2, Corsair AX-850, Gigabyte A-390 Master, HP Reverb G2, 40 inch 4K Screen at 30 Hz, VKB Gunfighter, Virpil Moongoost 50,MFG Crosswind Pedals, CP, Linda, VA, FFTF, P2ATC
Kayla Dillon

Re: P3Dv4.2 VR Single Pass Rendering Question

Post by Kayla Dillon »

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

Beau explained a little bit of the reason behind the menu option here:
http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=128454

You will have to switch to this option no matter what GPU you have. The default is Stereo. If you change the settings, they will save for your next sessions.

We updated our VR documentation to explain our new features/menu items:
https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d ... ality.html

NVIDIA also has a great article and diagram about single pass stereo mode here:
https://developer.nvidia.com/vrworks/gr ... passstereo

Regards,
Kayla
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
powayjoe

Post by powayjoe »

Kayla

Thank you for the prompt response. Since I have a high end CPU and GPU should I expect a significant reduction in CPU usuage based on what I read in the following Oculus post:

https://developer.oculus.com/documentat ... ngle-pass/

Also it appears the visual representation in my Rift shouldn’t be reduced like it is in mono mode correct?

Thanks again
Joe
I9-9900KS 5.1GHz, RTX 2080 FTW3 Hybrid, Trident 32GB DDR4 3200 C14, EVO 970 2TB M.2, Corsair AX-850, Gigabyte A-390 Master, HP Reverb G2, 40 inch 4K Screen at 30 Hz, VKB Gunfighter, Virpil Moongoost 50,MFG Crosswind Pedals, CP, Linda, VA, FFTF, P2ATC
Kayla Dillon

Post by Kayla Dillon »

Hello,

Yes, it should help alleviate your CPU of some work.

You should not see any visual degradation like you would in Mono mode. Single Pass should work just like Stereo does, but with the performance benefits of Mono mode.

Please let us know how your experience in Single Pass goes. Considering it is a new feature, we are very interested in user feedback.

Regards,
Kayla
DaveWG

Post by DaveWG »

I briefly tried single pass mode last night. Found that if I had airport labels showing they were displayed in slightly different positions in each eye giving a double vision effect. Normal stereo mode was fine. Didn't try aircraft labels as I ran out of time. Will test more later.
This is using an nVidia 970 GPU with an oculus rift.
Kayla Dillon

Post by Kayla Dillon »

DaveWG wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:47 am I briefly tried single pass mode last night. Found that if I had airport labels showing they were displayed in slightly different positions in each eye giving a double vision effect. Normal stereo mode was fine. Didn't try aircraft labels as I ran out of time. Will test more later.
This is using an nVidia 970 GPU with an oculus rift.
Hello,

How are you enabling the airport labels? In our Options->General->Information tab, I enabled all of those text options and did not see any odd behavior.

Regards,
Kayla
DaveWG

Post by DaveWG »

Hi, I'm using a joystick button to toggle the labels via FSUIPC. Aircraft labels display fine. I'll try using the options screen instead and see if that works. I'll also update the driver to the latest version and report back later.
Kayla Dillon

Post by Kayla Dillon »

DaveWG wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:25 pm Hi, I'm using a joystick button to toggle the labels via FSUIPC. Aircraft labels display fine. I'll try using the options screen instead and see if that works. I'll also update the driver to the latest version and report back later.
Hello,

Please work with FSUIPC for help with the airport labels. Let us know if anything changes with the driver update.

Regards,
Kayla