IS3 and Prepar3d V3.4

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
jdlinn

IS3 and Prepar3d V3.4

Post by jdlinn »

I'm (finally) running P3D V3.4 again (thanks to the Windows 10 update KB4048955. The only problem I am having is with Instant Scenery 3 (the latest version). I post this because someone here might find it interesting.

To make IS3 run without crashing to desktop CTD, you must first totally remove the /Documents/Prepar3d V3 Files folder (not delete what is in it ...that doesn't work ... delete the whole folder). This means, of course you lose all of your saved scenario startups. You then restart P3D using "Run as Administrator" ... the folder /documents/Prepar3d V3 Files folder is rebuilt with nothing in it. You will have the jet fighter as your aircraft at startup. You can then run IS3 fine ... so this should be a big help to scenery developers with V3.4.

If you save a scenario, the next time you start up, you will have the "Child Window" error. If that shows up, when you try to run IS3, it will CTD every time and you must repeat what I've said above.

I don't know, and cannot tell if the problem is with P3D or with IS3. That a scenario cannot be saved seems to point to P3D 3.4. The relationship between saved scenarios and IS3 is unknown to me, but there is linkage. This is a repeatable process. I hope this helps some folks. I, for one, even with the problems, am glad to have IS3 back.

Doug Linn/RTMM
jdlinn

Re: IS3 and Prepar3d V3.4

Post by jdlinn »

UPDATE: I'm finding now that I have to delete the documents/Prepar3d V3 Files folder EVERY time before I run P3D 3.4 and it must be started with "Run as Administrator" ... otherwise I get the "Child Window" error and IS3 CTD's.
jdlinn

Post by jdlinn »

Is anybody else trying to use IS3 with Prepar3D V3.4?
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

I don't recall it being released as a Prepar3D product.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
jdlinn

Post by jdlinn »

Cool answer Ed, that helps. Last I checked P3D V3.4.22 was (and still is) downloaded from the L.M. Downloads area.

My point here .. I do not think that the Windows Update fixed 3.4 ... I think there is still a problem. The IS3 Program is a good INDICATOR that there is still a problem. It should not be crashing as it was working fine before the initial Win update.

Secondly, if I try to save a scenario, I start getting "Child Window" errors. I'm trying to offer information here that may help. To make IS3 run ... one has to do the following:

1. Delete /documents/prepar3d V3 Files
2. Delete /Apps / Local / Lockheed Martin/ Prepar3d
3. Reinstall the IS3 module to P3D V4
4. THEN start the sim.

Again, this isn't about IS3, this is about P3D and its interface ... something is wrong. There should be a "clue" in this information for P3D developers.

So let me rephrase ... is anybody running P3D V3.4 successfully with no problems?
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

Yes... I am. However, I run Win7 and not Win10. I do keep it updated. I know that Win10 after the latest update no longer runs FSX (declares it as incompatible, based on posts at AVSIM).

See here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5243 ... ld-window/

and here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5242 ... indows-10/
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
jdlinn

Post by jdlinn »

Thank you Ed ... those were darned helpful. Now I know the problem isn't "me" and I can sit back and relax a little. This Windows 10 stuff has got to be driving LM/P3D nuts. They've got their hands full so I'm not going to be bugging them. I hope they just keep us posted.

Again, thank you for the links ...

Doug/RTMM