[RESOLVED] Scenery Library question

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
unc1rlm

[RESOLVED] Scenery Library question

Post by unc1rlm »

I have 4.1 but I noticed with FS Dreamteam...at the top of the scenery library, that these can be edited or moved down, etc. Is this something new?

https://i.imgur.com/JlM76xR.jpg

Thank you,
Bob M.
Poppet

Re: Scenery Library question

Post by Poppet »

Hello Bob

These Add On's are using the add-on.xml file method located in your Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder > Documents.

What you are seeing here is normal for this method, This was Introduced in Prepar3D v3.3 but software developers are now utilizing this
unc1rlm

Post by unc1rlm »

Thanks Poppet,

If I delete the scenery add on xml found in program data beneath the scenery config, will bese scenery work or what. I never noticed the scenery library having these locked at top? Guess I am not very perceptive lol,
Bob M.
unc1rlm

Post by unc1rlm »

well that didn't work..if I rename it..p3dv4.1 just writes another one..lol. What is the purpose of doing this?

Thanks Poppet,
Bob M.
unc1rlm

Post by unc1rlm »

Poppet, sorry.. I knew about documents but in the Program Data folder there is a scenery_add-on.xml just below scenery.cfg. Is this the reason for the top sceneries being locked at the top of the scenery library where they cannot be edited or moved up or down. Trying to get a handle on this.
Thanks,
Bob M.
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Bob , the big problem here is not the method but the slackness of most developers to comply with LM request , the SDK section Add-ons (recommended reading) says "

Creating Add-ons
When creating an add-on for Prepar3D intended to be distributed, it is highly recommended to follow the instructions found in the article titled Add-on Instructions for Developers. This article gives recommendations on the folder structure, installation path, and tool set options that should be used.

Distributing Add-ons
There are multiple supported methods of distributing add-ons to users. The recommended method is to distribute an Add-on Package and either place it in a directory where Prepar3D can automatically discover it or install the package directly using Command Line. The other supported method is to add each individual add-on component to add-on configuration files by using Command Line.

Ideally, a developer will create an installer for their add-on to handle installation, uninstallation, and repair. During their installation and uninstallation process, the developer should utilize one of the supported ways above to allow their content to be discovered by Prepar3D. "

Now , because they do not, we are left with the situation you mention, we (the end user) should not need to change the order of the add-ons. The LM system allows for the placing of add-ons in the right layer , the only one to know this is the developer .

One hand is enough to count the number of complying Dev's, having said that .. the way to remove add-ons is simple , from the SIM open >Menu>Options>add-ons and there tick off the add on you want to remove.
To install an add on ( you would not need to do that!! if you paid for it..and it is P3D Vx compatible)) follow the SDK Learning centre and become a developer ...

Sorry if I sound too harsh , but there are too many posts relating to this subject and others and I have been trying to help as much as possible , but if we keep paying and buying "p3d Compatible" add-ons that are not , this will keep hapenning.

Jorge
Jorge Roldan
OZx Developer (aero) - Hovercontrol Helicopter Certified Pilot - Spad.Next Beta Tester - VATPAC Pilot PR
System i9-9990 4.7Ghz 32GB W11 Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 8GB
unc1rlm

Post by unc1rlm »

Thanks Jorge, little slack checking forum.
Enjoy the Holidays,
Bob M.