Freeware Aircraft

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
Robau

Freeware Aircraft

Post by Robau »

Long time simmer FS9 and 10 and now have P3D v3, what ever happened to those great many freeware developers that gave us a great many aircraft to fly on our FS sim's .

The newer sim's that we have today lack severely on freeware aircraft and even payware aircraft are not up to the releases that we use to have.

Don't get me wrong, I am not looking for a free ride and quite happily pay for an aircraft I wish to have.

We all probably remember the great downloads from Cal Classics, Historic Jet Group, Tom Gibson and Mike Stone but to name a few, these guys did their developments as a hobby and gave us many pleasurable hours flying our sim.
Today Manfred Jahn would have to be the King of freeware with his outstanding C-47, but where are the Boeings, Douglas's, Lockheeds, Convairs etc that we all loved so much back then, are we going backwards ?

Today we see payware after payware sceneries and airports that even show the coffee shop inside the terminal, but who wants this stuff and to run it all you would need a computer the would have trouble fitting inside a B747 Frieghter.

I like my P3D v3 sim and bought it as a flight sim, to fly as accurately as I can to real world, therefore concentrating on my aircraft and flight instruments and the runway I am about to land on, not looking out the side window at the pretty scenery.

It is said that you can port over FSX aircraft into P3D but if you do manage to achieve it there always appears to be something that does not work correctly.

Enough of my raving, please bring on the aircraft, freeware or payware.

Regards
PhilK

Re: Freeware Aircraft

Post by PhilK »

Just speaking from my personal situation and experimentations...
I am running P3Dv4, Toposim and FreemeshX meshes, ORBX FTX Global products, and freeware aircrafts only (99% props, and very few welding lamps), and very few sceneries (all being FSX sceneries).
My understanding is that P3D does not at all appreciate any stuff built for, or compliant with FS9. However, I had absolutely no problem with FSX native aircrafts imported into my P3D's up to version 3.4.
With the version 4, being a 64bits application, only 64bits coded dll files are working, and the relevant authors have already released various new gauges or other dll's (Doug Dawson gauges, for instance) to replace the old (32bits) ones.
Of course, I had to definetely abandon all my aircrafts that were either FS9, FS9 ported to FSX, or FSX containing any kind of FS9 code or elements, but all the FSX natives are still running just but great once the new gauges or dll's are installed.
Most payware editors have also already gone the 64bits way, and update their products accordingly.
So, you have a fair plenty of aircrafts to populate the virtual skies...
Blue skies
Windows 10 x64, Z170A Gaming Pro Mobo, i7-6700K CPU (no O/C), 16 Gb DDR4 RAM, RTX3060 12 Gb, P3D v5.3.17, Toposim mesh, FTX Global Base, Vector, OpenLC EU, OpenLC North America, OpenLC South America, OpenLC Africa, Trees HD, ASP3D, ASCA
Robau

Post by Robau »

Would you mind enlightening me on how to port over fsx aircrft .
Please keep it simple as I am far from a computer guru.

Regards
PhilK

Post by PhilK »

I will speak only about freeware aircrafts supplied without automatic installer, which is the whole content of my own third party aircrafts hangar.

If you have already installed such aircrafts into FSX or P3Dv3, you will simply have to do the same process, starting from the compressed archieve, except that you will place each folder or file into P3dv4.
If your aircraft folders do contain files with the .dll extension, then for P3Dv4 you will have to look for 64bits (x64) versions of these files, as P3Dv4 is pure 64bits.
The easiest way is to use the original compressed archieves or zip files, but you can also copy from FSX or P3Dv3 any aircraft and paste it into P3Dv4, provided the aircraft is at least an FSX native addon, but be sure to also check and copy/paste any other folder or file related to that particular aircraft (effects, sounds, etc...)

For any addons with installers (automatic or not), you will have to look for the appropriate version (installer detecting P3Dv4).
There is also information available here and there on various forums, on how to process, and eventually cheat the installers on the actual destination of the files, but this is an other story.

Blue skies
Windows 10 x64, Z170A Gaming Pro Mobo, i7-6700K CPU (no O/C), 16 Gb DDR4 RAM, RTX3060 12 Gb, P3D v5.3.17, Toposim mesh, FTX Global Base, Vector, OpenLC EU, OpenLC North America, OpenLC South America, OpenLC Africa, Trees HD, ASP3D, ASCA
Robau

Post by Robau »

Thank you PhilK,

I am familiar with installing into the earlier sim's and always installed the the zip file into a desktop folder first then manually installed into the sim, aircraft, effects, etc.
So with your valued information it is the same for P3D

I still run v3.4 32 bit so no problem there.

Thank you

Regards